Amazon Kindle

papa_levante

oh! darling
Reaction score
The commercials are telling me that the new Kindle is on sale for $139 and even though I am not an avid reader, I hope this will help me read more since it's like books on the go. :lol: One of my professors kept psychological studies on his. It was kind of nice not having a lot of papers to shuffle through and organize.

What do they hold? Is it possible to put books I already own on it?
What is it like in the sun? Bad glare?

Thanks all in advance. :flower:

I don't currently own one (hoping to get one for Christmas though!), but from the little I know, books and other reading material can be purchased from amazon, and alot is also free!

I think it holds Word docs and PDF's which can also be annotated. The screen is supposed to be in some sort of e-ink format so there is no glare.

Whoa! :buzz: Free books? That'll get me reading for sure!

Thanks for the input, indian rose. :flower: Barnes & Noble has their own device as well, no? I wonder how similar it is and if it's any cheaper. :P

Yep according to the specifications on amazon, more than 1 million books are free! And other new release's are much cheaper than they are in hardback. :smile:

I haven't really looked into any other brands....i think amazon have the largest selection in books, and i quite like the idea that you can get a book in 60 seconds no matter where you are.:flower:

I'm getting one for Christmas too. Hopefully I will make good use of it, because I'd love to read more books than I do.
They have WiFi on these, right? Apparently the one I'm getting has.. but with a black and white screen? Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds.

Well the kindle is actually perfect for the sun, its made so you can easily read it in the sun vs the Ipad. The drawback is that it doenst have a back light, so to read at night you have to buy the add on attachable light whereas teh Ipad has a backlight. I got a kindle for my mom last year and its her favorite present of all time!

What about the Nook from Barnes & Noble?

2hqxbvc.png

bn.com

Yesterday during some scrounging around in the App Store, I found iBooks that has free books to read straight on your i-device. :D Really pleased with that. The first one it automatically downloaded for me was Winnie-The-Pooh. :wub:

I have a nook , my sister has the kindle. They're both pretty awesome. You can read in sunlight and they're made for reading as it's e-ink display not LCD like the iPad and iPhone which actually hurt your eyes. I recommend it. i read so much more now that i have my nook!

What else have you been able to access with the Nook and/or Kindle?

I downloaded a few free books onto my iTouch so that's nice. ^_^ What about magazines? I saw commercials for it that advertised magazine subscriptions.

I've been using the Kindle for about 4 weeks, and I'm loving it. I'm surprised at how much use I'm getting out of it. It's really simple to download a book too, with the WiFi version. The first book I've downloaded is, Janice Dickinson's No Lifeguard on Duty. Not something I'd pick up in a store. But I can't seem to put it down.

Has anyone come across any sites that sell cases/covers for the Kindle? (apart from Amazon's own of course.)

I haven't had the chance to use it whilst travelling yet, but im going to need something soon, so that it doesn't get scratched or damaged in my handbag!

^ There's a third party named "ACase" that sells cases for the Kindle on Amazon's website. Do a search for "Acase Vintage Acme Brown" on amazon's website. Not only are the cases of real leather and of high quality, it looks like you paid a lot for the case. I would know -- I have one. :smile:

Personally I never liked the idea of such devices but hearing about the free books for the Kindle I am now quite intrigued! I've been spending too much money on clothes lately and didn't get to buy as many books as I'd like to so this seems like a cool thing to get me back to reading ^_^

Totallly random side note: Whenever this thread pops up in the 'New Posts' I think how model names keep getting weirder until I realize Amazon Kindle is an e-book reader :lol:

Thank you for the suggestion crow_watcher :flower:

I ended up getting one of Amazon's own brand covers with the built in light. Very well made, secures the kindle well and the light is great for bed-time reading!

I have my K2 kindle for over a year now and I still use it as much as I did when I first purchased it.

I was initially against the Kindle...I love owning books and the physical act of reading them, but I got one for Christmas a few years ago and it's so convenient. Even without the free books, the books are less expensive and I love that they download so quickly. Easily one of my favorite things now.

I have Kindle on my Droid. LOVE the fact that I can download a book and read it from my phone. Super convenient and inexpensive. Also saves time from going to the library/bookstore and hunting for a book you've been dying for...especially since its been below zero here for some time :wink:

Does anyone have any experience with the Kobo reader? I'm trying to decide which ereader would be best. I love the idea of the Kindle, but in Canada the Kindle is priced at $300 which seems a little steep compared to the $140 in the states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->