Anti-aging...at 15

FashionVixen

Reaction score
Hi, well I'm almost 16 and I'm super-parinoid about wrinkles, etc. because I come from a long line of pretty wrinkly ladies. :sideways: I'm not sure if I should worry about this yet but I do wear quite a bit of makeup yet I have a good skincare routine. Any recommendations for cremes, sunscreen, etc. to start using now to avoid Botox (eek!) at a later date???

It's never too young to start looking after your skin, because you want it to last you for life :wink:

I think that strong sunlight is the main culprit of aging. I would recommend avoiding over-exposure to the sun - I have tried it and even though I get a tan the texture of my skin becomes coarser, trust me, it's not worth it. Remember to wear something (foundation/suncreen etc) of at least SPF 15+ when you go outdoors in the sun, even if it's only for a short period of time. Especially if you have fair or fine skin, the sun could scorch it and make it peel and lose its elasticity :flower:

Originally posted by FashionVixen@May 25th, 2004 - 7:35 pm
Hi, well I'm almost 16 and I'm super-parinoid about wrinkles, etc. because I come from a long line of pretty wrinkly ladies. :sideways: I'm not sure if I should worry about this yet but I do wear quite a bit of makeup yet I have a good skincare routine. Any recommendations for cremes, sunscreen, etc. to start using now to avoid Botox (eek!) at a later date???
Fashion Vixen,

SUNSCREEN. The most you can handle but at least 15 (UVA and UVB). Aveeno Soy is a good inexpensive one which also has antioxidants to fight sun damage. Re-apply if you play an outdoor sport and sweat (running, soccer, etc.)
Also if you need glasses or contacts, wear them- squinting is wrinkle promoting. Same goes for a good pair of sunglasses.

Don't stress, you have all this time to enjoy being unwrinkled. :flower:

At your age (and mine), the most important thing is sun protection. It is SO important to use sunscreen all the time! Protecting yourself from UV rays now will help to prevent wrinkles, liver spots, skin cancer, premature aging of the skin, etc. Sun damage is cumulative, so the damage stays even though tans and burns fade. Some people don't even realize that suntan is damage, so they never wear sunscreen because they never burn and they think they'll be ok!

To really take care of your skin, always try to wear some form of sunscreen, even if you areen't going to the beach. You can wear a light moisturizer with an SPF like Olay Complete (I think it comes in 15 and 30) for everyday use on your face and arms/hands and perhaps something stronger during the summer (yes, I am suggesting sunscreen in the winter :o :flower: ). It's very light and makes your skin feel lovely. Neutrogena makes some good 'dry-touch' sunblock (SPF 45, UVA/UVB protection, with Parsol), plus some less fancy SPF 30 oil free stuff, I believe. I tend to like the stuff that doesn't feel too slimy (oil free).

There's more on this topic on this thread and more solutions (sunscreen suggestions, etc) on this one. :flower:

Also...don't tan on purpose. Plese? A slightly sunkissed look is hard to avoid if you go to the beach even with sunscreen on. I just hate it when girls turn brown and crispy on purpose to look good when they're only ruining their skin for later. By all means, get a spray-on tan if you must be leather-colored, just don't go out and fry yourself.

As for other skin care...don't pick at your skin (to avoid scarring). Moisturize plenty, drink lots of water, and wash your face regularly (but these are mostly for nice skin right now).

I hope that helps. :flower: If you're already conscious of the sun, I don't mean to be condescending or anything. It just really is one of the best things to do for your skin.

Haha, I'm so slow. There were no responses when I started to write... :innocent:

Avoid wearing foundation when you don't need it. It's a mistake that a lot of young teens make because they think their skin is crappy when in reality it's probably the best it will ever be.

Originally posted by banana@May 25th, 2004 - 8:23 pm
Avoid wearing foundation when you don't need it. It's a mistake that a lot of young teens make because they think their skin is crappy when in reality it's probably the best it will ever be.
true

Originally posted by banana@May 26th, 2004 - 1:23 am
what does foundation do to your skin? :unsure:

I think it's bad for your skin. A lot of makeup companies boast about how their products don't clog pores and stuff but I think that's a load of marketing BS. Plus I learned in my environmental law class that makeup companies are basically just like paint companies. The chemicals they use pollute the water and soil so I doubt it's that great for your face if you use it every single day from the age of 15. I can understand the need to cover up if you have acne, because I've gone through that too. But I never understood the friends of mine who would wear more makeup than me but had perfect skin.. :unsure:

I have it on good advice from an industrial chemist that anti-ageing cream won't work when you're sixty...I don't think it's very likely to work at 15...as for sunscreen - you can get tanned and keep smooth skin, wrinkling is a genetic propensity...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@May 26th, 2004 - 4:19 pm
as for sunscreen - you can get tanned and keep smooth skin, wrinkling is a genetic propensity...
How much you wrinkle, what kind of skin you have and how it reacts to environmental stresses is probably 99,99 % genetic. It's still a fact that (a large amount of) sun is damaging in the long run, it is a good idea to use sunscreen.

Just use common sense, you don't necessarily need 60 SPF to go down to the corner store. A slight tan won't kill you and won't make you age incredibly horribly; constant baking might though... Might.

Sunscreen! You should also know that sunscreen is only FDA approved up to spf 15.

Thanks alot you guys! I'm going to try, especially during the summer, always using moisteriser with SPF 15+ and using sunscreen everyday as a lotion. I want to stop using foundation but I do have mild acne and have been to a dermatoligist that gave me topicals with HUGE amounts of bensine peroxide that made my sensitive skin peel badly. (Had to be out of school for 2 days...) Soooo, I'm a little afaid to go back and just be put on something similar again. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Acid+May 26th, 2004 - 6:55 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Acid @ May 26th, 2004 - 6:55 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-banana@May 26th, 2004 - 1:23 am
what does foundation do to your skin? :unsure: [/b][/quote]
i agree that too much foundation, worn everyday clogs pores most definitely...i never wear it only spot concealer OR if i do it is light and tinted.... not thick... I am not a doctor by any means but my experience is that the more caked on make up I wore the more I would break out but I don’t think that has a thing to do with wrinkles… but if you break out and you pick at your face that will last a lifetime and looks horrible! :sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->