Building a Makeup Collection

Sea Of Love

Reaction score
Sorry for the dodgy title, I didn't know what to ask.
Ok so I want to get into more of the makeup and skincare side of things and get together a makeup 'collection' for myself. Basically what I am using at the moment is just drugstore brands of makeup like maxfactor because I have been more interested in spending money on clothes and accessories:rolleyes:

So can you help me with some must have essentials to start me off. Without posting a pic of myself without makeup:ninja: I have fair skin (not pale, but not dark or tanned), i'm blonde/caucasian, as far as my skin texture goes it is neither dry or oily so I have quite good skin per se. I don't really have to deal with pimples etc BUT..... I think I have large pores and inconsistent skin tone (i don't know if other people see this but I certainly do).

I don't have the fetures or the colouring to pull off dramatic look so I'm after natural looking makeup.

I know you won't be able to recommend me colours obviously but any product which are good or skincare products. Also, this is nuts but I am only 21 and really worried about aging, so I need some good skincare products.

I can PM people a pic of me if you want it, I just don't wnt to post anything:lol:

I like Clinique Blended Face Powder. It's a loose powder and it goes on very light. It's only $19 which is good considering it takes me a year to finish. I also like their line smoothing concealer. I use Full n Soft mascara from Maybelline b/c I personally think it's better than the Great Lash, which everyone else seems to love. Other than those things, I'd probably recommend Rosebud Salve lip balm. It's like, $6 or $7 but it lasts a long time too and I never leave home without it.

thanks so far guys :flower:
I'm not really on a strict budget so it can be from the bigger names and such.

I'm blonde and very pale, curst with dark under-eye-circles...
My favorits are Korres "Wild Rose brightening & line-smoothing face and eye serum" mixed with YSL "Touch Eclat" No.2, Givenchy Prisme Again Compact Powder in "Beautiful Pastel", Benefit "Gorgia" pressed powder on cheeks and lids, Helena Rubinstein "Lash Queen" mascara and Kiehls lipgloss in "French Rose". Makes for an easy, natural daytime-look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the love with Chanel Mystic Eyes Eyeshadow. It has all the shades I need, so I don't need to purchase separate eyeshadows! I also love the Chanel Vitalumiere powder, it is so soft and looks so happy on my skin. It doesn't irritate my skin unlike the Shu Uemura and Paul & Joe powders I tried...

As for skincare, I would recommend Nuxe and Mario Badescu overall, their products are to die for, and not grossly scented.

MAC Fluidline in Black Track
MAC eyeshadow in Shroom
MAC eyeshadow in Vanilla
Stila Smudge Pot in Kitten
Stila eyeshadow in Go Lightly
DuWop Lip Venom
Lancome Fatale Mascara
Too Faced brow kit

There are better eyeshadows than MAC's, that's for sure. I don't think they're that great.

But if you're into the natural look, you should have a look at Becca and By Terry. I can highly recommend Chanel's loose powder, Guerlain's Les Meteorites and Helena Rubinstein mascaras (the best I've ever tried) and liquid concealer. YSL has some eyebrow pencils that are easy to blend and come in very natural colours.

thanks so far everyone. I am going to have to make a list and try out all of the products mentioned :flower:

I think you should consider getting some good brushes as well. I think MAC does great brushes, and you should check youtube for reviews and how-tos...

I love minimal looking makeup, so I might be able to suggest some things you will like... My "holy grail" makeup items that are the base for my makeup collection are...

YSL Touche Eclat
Benefit Erase Paste Concealer
Givenchy Photo Perfexion Foundation
Stila Sheer Colour Tinted Moisturiser
Lancome Le Crayon Khol Eyeliner
(or) Givenchy Magic Khol
Lancome Hypnose Mascara
Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow in Champagne
Christian Dior 5 Colour Eyeshadow Pallette in Incognito (great neutrals)
Becca Lip & Cheek Creme in Rosebud
By Terry Rose De Rose Liquid Blush in Fresh Rose
Chanel Ireelle blush in Tea Rose
Estee Lauder blush in Peach Nuance
NARS lipgloss in Chihuahua
NARS lipgloss in Sweet Revenge

I would start with getting good quality items that suit your skintone & the look that you're going for, maybe start with...

Concealer
Foundation
Eyeliner
Mascara
Eyeshadow
Blush
Lipgloss/Lipstick

And work your way from there? Good luck!

:flower:

eta: You might want to start a similar thread in the skincare section of the forum for your skincare questions.

There are better eyeshadows than MAC's, that's for sure. I don't think they're that great.
I agree that MAC eyeshadows are overrated for the most part. They can be really hit and miss quality wise. But MAC's shroom and vanilla shadows are something that I will always have in my collection and in my opinion there isn't a better alternative. They're both neutral highlights/bases (vanilla is matte, shroom is shimmery) that seem to work for everyone and can go with any other color you decide to use. I've gone through 2 or 3 of each of them and at 15$ it's not such a big of a deal to replace.

^They do cost a bit more in other countries - in Denmark they cost nearly $30, so I don't always think it's worthwile finding those eyeshadows that aren't mediocre at best.

For blonde hair and pale skin (same as me) I find Chanel and Estee Lauder to be the best foundations in terms of quality and shades that match your natural skin tone. For blush I'd go with Nars in Orgasm (coral) or Dandelion by Benefit (pink). Lancome are the best for mascaras and Nars and Stila are great for eyeshadows.

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anka xx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->