Antwerp shopping

Mademoiselle*

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I went shopping in Antwerp. I expected a lot of it because I heard some great things about 'fashioncity' Antwerp! & of course 3 of my favourite designers: ANN DEMEULENMEESTER, DRIES VAN NOTEN & WALTER VON BEIRENDONCK are from Antwerp.

But I wasn't really impressed actually. Of course Ann Demeulenmeester & Dries van Noten were great! (Walter von Beirendoncks shop was closed.. and so was the Fashion Museum unfortunatelly..) But I thought it was a lot of the same things you have EVERYWHERE! Zara.. H&M.. & the Louis Vuitton shizzle.. and I could only find a few vintage shops (those are my favourite:wink:) I even prefer my own city Amsterdam!

So did I do something wrong? Or is Antwerp just not extremely cool?
Is there someone from Antwerp here?

('nd by the way is the Fashionmuseum worth visiting?)

Hey, ik ben van A'pen en der zij echt wel coole winkels in A'pen, je moet ze gewoon weten zijn. De vintagewinkels zal je waarschijnlijk in de kammenstraat gevonden hebben...maar ben je in de Nationalestraat geweest? en op het Zuid hebben ze ook een paar coole winkels...

hi gallianoke,

This is an english language site, please stick to english so that all members will have a chance to enjoy your posts :flower:

Dag Mademoiselle* -

I used to live in Antwerpen, and actually I think the shopping is pretty excellent, especially for such a small city. You must have missed some things. Have a look at the Modenatie site, it has a very up-to-date and comprehensive list of shops: www.modenatie.com (click on "VISIT ANTWERP - SHOPPING." In the "shopping" pull-down menu they have different sections for belgian labels, multilabel boutiques, vintage, etc)

For vintage, Francis is pretty good...did you go there? (www.francis.be)

Hanne said:
hi gallianoke,

This is an english language site, please stick to english so that all members will have a chance to enjoy your posts :flower:

:blush: sorry...but my english sucks...I will do my best and write everything in english :wink:

Thanks a lot!
I really want to go back.. because I was looking forward to visit the FashionMuseum and it was closed.. and I really like Belgian designers!
Yeah I found some vintage shops..! But Frances doesn't look familiar to me so I have to keep that one in mind:D

en Gallianoke.. de Kammestraat was wel leuk ja en de Nationalestraat natuurlijk! Is het leuk om in Antwerpen te wonen? Ik had de stad alleen wat groter verwacht.. maar ik heb me toch vermaakt!

Dutch: Ja, heel leuk, ik hou van de gebouwen op de meir, de kathedraal...en het is leuk om in een kleinere stad te wonen want dan ken je meer mensen, elke dag zie ik iemand die ik ken! Het is een kleine stad maar er zijn tal van mogelijkheden.

als je nog es komt, dan zal ik je de stad es laten zien :wink:

English: It's very nice to live in Antwerp, i love the buildings on the meir, the kathedral...and it's nice to live in a smaller city because you know many people, every day i see somebody i know! It's a small city with a lot of possibilities
If you come back to anwterp, i will show you the city :wink:

gallianoke said:
:blush: sorry...but my english sucks...I will do my best and write everything in english :wink:

You do fine ! The great thing about getting addicted to this site is that you'll improve your english considerably..a bonus untop of gaining a lot of fashion knowledge and meeting great new people :flower:

Next time you go to Antwerp, do not miss the most famous patisserie-tea shop. Del Rey. Very close to Centraal Station. They serve you tea with four kinds of sugar!!:shock: Decadent!

Also:
Lange gasthuisstraat: Verso (with Italian designers like d&g, blumarine, armani etc..) and Wauters & Hendrix ( my favorite jewelry store)
Oudaan (close to lange gasthuisstraat:( Step by step (with antik batik, isabel marant, joseph, Martine Sitbon, Barbara Bui, Annemie Verbeke, Sophie D'hoore etc), also on the other side of the street a shop which sells Westwood (forgot the name) and try the raisinbread from bakery Goossens, reaaaallly good!! There's also a shop ( walking from oudaan to lombardevest= korte gasthuisstraat) called closing date with mainly english designers (westwood etc),a shu uemura ( really like the make up) and a dknystore. Opposite the neuhause chocolaterie there's L'occitane (french parfumerie, really nice) and in the huidevetterstraat you'll find Max Mara, Tommy Hilfigher, Scapa, Ventilo, frattelli & Rossetti, petit bateau, and shops where they sell the trad. ralph Lauren, puma etc..You def. should go to princess blue at the Schrijnwerkersstraat ( Helmut Lang, Marc Jacobs, Adidas, Blaak etc )and on the other side of the street there's désiré de lille, they make excellent crêpes!! At the lombardevest there's Louis which sells the great belgian designers (demeulemeester, vandevorst, leroy and ackermann), but also balenciaga and rick owens. Also very near is Ave, it's a second handstore but the clothes are customized. Go a bit futher and you'll find Anna Heylen (also ex royal antw academy), A.P.C ( french brand) and Ganterie A.Boon ( and old glove shop with excellent service,still in the old store you should get your leather gloves there!!). Nearby there's of course dries van noten etc. Don't forget to walk through the Kloosterstraat where you'll find nice deco shops and Francis ( www.francis.be ;second hand belgian designers + designer chairs). In the Nationalestraat you'll find cheaper 'unconventional ' designed clothes and many second handshops (TIPI's, re-wear (behind nationalestraat in steenbergstraat), but there's also Fragma (with their own collection 'fragma' and cacharel, narciso rodriguez, alless dell'acqua, versace, missoni etc..), a shop that mainly sells paul smith (forgot the name), shoe store Elsa (Emma Hope, Costume National, Vivienne Westwood, Paul Smith) and Veronique Branqhuino (also st. antoniusstraat: Walter) and at the end of the street there's Baby Beluga (Antik Batik, Matthew Williamson, frostfrench and several english jewelry brands). At the south of Antwerp (we call it 'het zuid') you'll find the only shop of Ann Demeulemeester (opposite the royal museum of antwerp, which is also nice to pay a visit of couse:wink:) At the Burburestraat there's Clinic, they sell clothes, bags, shoes, cds books, watches and jewelry I believe... 'Het Zuid' is known for it's modern artishness (I hope you know what I mean :smile: ) You should take a walk and look at the architecture (also near the river 'de schelde' and take a drink at 'Het zuiderterras' designed by Bob van reet (well known belgian architecture) where you have a nice view over the water or visit a gallery or designshop (Vitrapoint, Obumex..).
If you can, you should also go to the Kasteelpleinstraat, there's a very nice vintage store called 'Verlaine'...not to expensive..but the last time I went there I bought the most beautiful vintage schiapirelli cardigan, the street is also known for its children clothing stores. Also Labels.inc on the Aalmoezenierstraat is worth a visit; it's a kind of 'belgian designer outlet'. On the Steenhouwersvest you'll find episode (second hand shop) and christophe broich (ex royal antw ac), Box 46 (sells y's of yamamoto, and Lena lena). The more expensive shops are on the schuttershofstraat (gucci, stéphane Kélian, Natan (=belgian 'royal family'designer), coccodrillo (the BEST shoestore with pierre hardy, prada, miumiu, vandevorst, marc jacobs, ysl, dries van noten etc...), Céline, Oilily (nice for little kids), cartier, louis vuitton (close to bourla theatre), Nicole Cadine, Hermes and a bit futher (hopland- Armani, essentiel, dkny, Mer du nord etc...)
On the Frankrijklei you'll find Escada, Kenzo and other high end stores, but you should visit sn 3 (with prada, bottega veneta, chanel, ysl, gucci, dior, balenciaga, stelly mc cartney, sonia rykiel etc..) Also Dany May at Meir sells Burberrys, prada, ralph lauren etc... The shops of Yohi yamamoto and Comme Des Garçons are in a parallel street of the Keyserlei (where you should try the pralines from del rey (appelmansstraat) and their ice cakes are heavenly!! Between the frankrijklei and the central station there's also the famous diamond quartier of Antwerp...nice to walk through you'll find there good jewish restaurants...Near the station are a lot of 'gold shops' which sell gold and diamonds at pretty sharp prices. The Meir (=main shopping street) has lots of high street stores like in every city I think:H&M (think 3 shops), Zara, Benetton, In wear,Esprit, Mango...but in the middle you'll find Princess (Burberry, alex mc queen etc.., don't forget to take the stares down there (Mer du Nord, Ralph Lauren, Bellerose, d&g, etc etc).
Hope the next time you'll enjoy antwerp as I think it's the best city to shop!! (very nice shops for such a small town and everything in walking distance...or maybe it's because I live there...AT LEAST WE HAVE OUR OWN GUCCI :innocent:)

gallianoke said:
what a description, woonde gij int stad?

jaja, echte antwerpse :smile: (yes I live in this city)

ps there's also a nice shop @ schuttershofstraat, forgot the name but they sell jill sander and lanvin:heart: :flower:

iSpot said:
jaja, echte antwerpse :smile: (yes I live in this city)

ps there's also a nice shop @ schuttershofstraat, forgot the name but they sell jill sander and lanvin:heart: :flower:

there is? heuh waar da? en verkopen ze prada in dany may :unsure: ?

iSpot, thanks for that! I knew I hit a lot of stores in Antwerp, but I see that I missed a few good ones. Het Zeid was definitely awesome - wonderful architecture along the river, straight out of an architecture magazine! Is Little Buddha still open? We had dinner and drinks there, it was a sweet place, very friendly.

One of the few pictures I took in Antwerp.

Attachments

• Antwerp.jpg
    Antwerp.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 60
Wow! Damn I see I missed a lot.. too bad! But I'll be back soon.. I only have to drive 1,5 hour by car.. that rocks! Thanks for all the info!

Mademoiselle* said:
Wow! Damn I see I missed a lot.. too bad! But I'll be back soon.. I only have to drive 1,5 hour by car.. that rocks! Thanks for all the info!

All right, you, the Belgians and Dutch - stop robbing it in :lol:

faust said:
All right, you, the Belgians and Dutch - stop robbing it in :lol:

Don't you dare to complain!! You live in NYC.. I'd KILL to be there for only one second!!! (well okay.. a month sounds better..) It's my ultimate place to go!:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

gallianoke said:
there is? heuh waar da? en verkopen ze prada in dany may :unsure: ?

I think you should talk in english as this is an english board:flower:
The shop which sells lanvin/jill sander is in the somewhere in the half of the street (you have to take a few steps to enter the shop). And Dany May doesn't sell prada but d&g, r.cavalli,plain sud and tod's sorry :wink::cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->