Apple's iPad

I have been testing out the iPad2 this week and I think (at least for me) the most interesting use for it is reading magazines. I waited a very long time before getting an iPad, I wanted one, but couldn't necessarily justify the purchase nor did I want to really buy a first generation product. I thought about getting a Kindle actually for reading books - but given the Kindle app on the iPad it just seemed like a better choice overall.

I've had the iPad since last week Friday and I really enjoy reading magazines on it. I have to say that some of the magazines (particularly Interview, The New Yorker and Self Service) are actually a lot better on the iPad than they are in print. I know someone might slap me upside the head for saying that, but I wasn't exactly in love with the Alexander Skarsgard Interview issue, but on the iPad it really seemed to come alive. Moreso than even looking at it online - or holding it the paper in my hand. Something about the way the application integrates into content was really pleasurable. If you've ever read a magazine and been like "this would be so wonderful if it weren't for the paper quality" the iPad is going to upgrade your experience of that magazine IMO. I would love to see something like W, with its incredible content and horrific paper quality come out with an iPad app that lets the pictures really live.

Perhaps this is all just novelty or the early stages of a shortlived love affair, but I really enjoyed watching advertisements move and come to life, seeing videos that accompanied articles, being able to click a link and get an in depth look at topic discussed briefly in the actual magazine. Even just being able to see the images with fashion credits hidden until I click on them - that was great.

I have to say I find it also nothing at all like viewing things on an iPhone. Even though there are similarities in terms of navigation I always found using an iPhone for reading anything to be sort of annoying. With my bad vision it was headache inducing at times to really watch content.

These are at least my initial impressions - it is also interesting to even view tFS on the iPad, I found it surprisingly different than viewing it on a computer!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of getting one as I am starting to Hate my HP laptop but I have one problem.

What do you do since there is no USB port?

I don't like Apple, nor the iPad. I find it one of the most useless inventions of the past decade. Come on, it's no a computer it's not a cellphone, the world could function perfectly well without iPads... Indeed, you could buy one, and the next month is gonna be another
model with more funtions.

:woot::woot:
finally someone who is in same page with me!!!!
can i just hug you?

Label Basher they have been very smart about it. The lack of USB ports means you have to buy and download everything as you could have easily transferred movies etc on to your ipad if it were to have a USB port. Personally, I am waiting for the 3rd generation to come. I think its a great device, my bf has one and I play on it, read magayines papers ets on it all the time and I know I can really get used to it but I am still put off by the fact that a lot of web pages still wont open properly. The 3rd generation will probably have the new operating system Lion or whatever it was called too.

I'm thinking of getting one as I am starting to Hate my HP laptop but I have one problem.

What do you do since there is no USB port?

I use "Dropbox", it syncs my laptop with my ipad. For example if I want to transfer files, pictures etc from my PC, i put them in the drop box folder on my pc and immediately when i open the Ipad dropbox App they appear automatically...one of my favorite apps:D.

Funny that there is so much debate about whether or not the device is functional or necessary. I would think that depends on the user - as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. It isn't a full fledged computer, but it isn't a cell phone either - it occupies its own space really and the more I use it the less I find myself reaching for some of my other devices. As with any other purchase really it all boils down to what you're looking for.

Right now I have to say I'm really loving it for use on the go - I don't have to load my bag up with books and magazines anymore, I can just have everything at my fingertips- I may never enter another overly crowded Manhattan train without it.

Apple gets a lot of flack about the iPad but really almost every computer/cell phone manufacturer is coming out with a tablet, Samsung, HP, Motorola, etc. have all created things in this vein so I'm not sure why the iPad gets the majority of the disdain. Is the Galaxy Tab somehow immune to criticism? :lol:

Anywho, I would say that if you want to use it to replace a laptop the keyboard add-on would be useful. I find typing on the touchscreen to be a little weird.

As for USB, I second the use of Dropbox if you're in need of something to access those crucial files.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if anyone had heard anything on the release of an ipad 3?I did a bit of google search, as I absolutely love the ipad and my IT guy keeps telling me to wait for the 3rd generation as it will be even better he wasnt sure about release dates but when I did a bit of googling I saw it said before Christmas 2011 ( which could be possible as people would buy it as as present straight away) or early 2012. Has anyone else heard any other rumours? I really want one and I wish I knew how much time I had to wait lol. I know if I buy an ipad2 now I wont justify getting a 3rd generation in a couple of months...

Funny that there is so much debate about whether or not the device is functional or necessary.

I find it funny as well. Especially considering that it's a multi functional device and not something like a egg yolk separator. Apple products get this kind of "hate" often, be it iPhone or Air. Like Apple is the only company that makes that kind of product and renews the line every 4-6 months (common argument against Apple - that they "force" people to buy new device 2x a year), it's just Apple is a bit more polarizing due to their status and price point than say Samsung or Asus. :ninja:

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything on the release of an ipad 3?I did a bit of google search, as I absolutely love the ipad and my IT guy keeps telling me to wait for the 3rd generation as it will be even better he wasnt sure about release dates but when I did a bit of googling I saw it said before Christmas 2011 ( which could be possible as people would buy it as as present straight away) or early 2012. Has anyone else heard any other rumours? I really want one and I wish I knew how much time I had to wait lol. I know if I buy an ipad2 now I wont justify getting a 3rd generation in a couple of months...

This is why I don't want to get a ipad 2 in case they bring out the 3 (but then again I'm sure we will get a 4 and 5 and on etc). All the new products come out each year in September so hopefully something will be said then. It's the 10th anniversary of the iPod and I am hoping they do something special to the classic. I need more room for all my music.

Thanks tiawani that sounds like an app I would look into if I brought one.

If they follow the traditional pattern the ipad3 with launch in March (anniversary of the first 2 editions), besides we're still waiting on the iPhone 5 which was strongly rumoured to have been released in June. As a satisfied user of the ipad2 I would only consider upgrading if they add flash, I'm sure they will add wonderful graphic enhancements blah blah blah but flash would be the only relevant addition.

So my laptop is going to die soon and I need some new technological cra*p. I decided that I am buying iPad. I don't care about 852738503460 functions that it has, I just want a pretty little thing for surfing the internet. So is it worth the money or are they any better choices on market? And what would be flaws of iPad?

So my laptop is going to die soon and I need some new technological cra*p. I decided that I am buying iPad. I don't care about 852738503460 functions that it has, I just want a pretty little thing for surfing the internet. So is it worth the money or are they any better choices on market? And what would be flaws of iPad?

If that's what you want it for then it would be perfect. It's flaw is no flash...

Buy it! But wait a few weeks, the iPad 3 (or whatever they will call it) is very likely to be announced on March 7th.

If they follow the traditional pattern the ipad3 with launch in March (anniversary of the first 2 editions), besides we're still waiting on the iPhone 5 which was strongly rumoured to have been released in June. As a satisfied user of the ipad2 I would only consider upgrading if they add flash, I'm sure they will add wonderful graphic enhancements blah blah blah but flash would be the only relevant addition.

I agree. The Ipad2 is near perfect.
My hubby upgraded to the Iphone 4S and in my view is certainly not worth at all the extra money, if the enhancements of the new Ipad are on the same line, i won't be bothering also.

Buy it! But wait a few weeks, the iPad 3 (or whatever they will call it) is very likely to be announced on March 7th.

Yeah, I know that. I will buy the newest line, so that would be iPad3. I do realize that they are going to be 4,5 etc....something new, better, after that, but it's always like that with everything.

Can someone explain to me is there a limit for internet? I read that I can buy 1G or 3 G packages which is SO little :ninja: Can't I just choose whataever internet connection I want? Sorry for my little knowledge about this kind of stuff:ninja:

Yeah, I know that. I will buy the newest line, so that would be iPad3. I do realize that they are going to be 4,5 etc....something new, better, after that, but it's always like that with everything.

Can someone explain to me is there a limit for internet? I read that I can buy 1G or 3 G packages which is SO little :ninja: Can't I just choose whataever internet connection I want? Sorry for my little knowledge about this kind of stuff:ninja:

I have the wi-fi only, because I prefer the aesthetic and everywhere has a connection these days. If you did have a 3G package then you have the option to use your data allowance when there is no wi-fi, however at home, starbucks etc you can use the wi-fi to save data. Make sense? It's the same as with the iPhone.:flower:

Like Princess said, It has nothing to do with internet limit. You can buy an Ipad that only allows wifi or a 3G that allows you you to buy an internet package from a mobile phone company. The limits are set buy the internet provider depending how much money you are willing to pay, not by the IPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->