aquascutum F 05 rtw

i have to abstain from commenting because i opened the thread wrong and saw some comments before i saw the collection and now i can't form an unbiased opinion...

will try coming back to it when my head is less fuzzy...

i honestly can't say...
i opened on yours and lena's posts...
and so far...i really agree with lena's london picks..
and you and i often like similar things...so i went in with a certain expectation...but realized i could still hear lena's post echo-ing in my head as i was looking...

but i'm really not sure about this one...it may also be lack of sleep...only 4 hrs again...i've caught a cold and have laryngitis...can't speak...LOL...

i'll have a look again later...i really go on instinct a lot with these things...and they're just not kicking in right now...it might mean that it doesn't speak to me...or it might be that i just can't hear it right now...:lol:

you're funny! I love how you always talk about the clothes speaking to you!!! LOL.

hey...what can i say...sometimes they speak...sometimes they whisper...sometimes they sing...

and sometimes they make the most horrible sound and i have to shield my eyes... B) :lol:

from wwd...info...

Aquascutum: The British brand that built a name on rain-repellent wool coats back in the days of Queen Victoria just got a hit of youth serum. Founded in 1851 by John Emary and now owned by the Japanese company Renown, the brand is best known for its Aquascutum London collection of well-tailored suits, dresses and trenches in fabulous fabrics. Now designers Michael Herz and Graeme Fidler are turning the fashion volume up a notch with a line called simply Aquascutum — a collection inspired by British men’s tailoring and London street style. The debut runway show was a mixture of structure and drape with sexy, fitted tailored jackets and pants or pencil skirts worn with corsets, unlined, washed silk trenches and Fifties-style prom dresses with tulle petticoats that can be worn on the inside or the outside of the skirts. “We want to raise the profile of the brand and carry the business forward for another 150 years,” said Fidler. Herz added, “In a few seasons’ time, we’d like to see this on the catwalk with bits of the main line mixed in.” The women’s wear currently sells at Harrods and at the London flagship at 100 Regent Street and, inspired by the success of another venerable rainwear company, the firm is hoping to broaden its wholesale base with the new collection.

so this collection is the 'simply Acquasctum"? so different from the classic Acquasctum, very fashionable!

strawbutterb said:
00500f.jpg
00560f.jpg
wow I really like the whole dancer inspired look here

i'd never heard of this designer until recently, and i love this fall stuff so much. some of it's really boring, but at the same time other things take my breath away!

here are some standouts from style.com

00080f.jpg

LOVE the collar! not much into the white part in the middle,
i wish it were solid.
00190f.jpg

not a huge fan of the single strap but i love the shape.
00240f.jpg

00250f.jpg

this is gorgeous! i feel like i'd want to wear shoes the same rust color as on the bust
instead of black.
00300f.jpg

love this coat too!
00360f.jpg

don't like the fur, but i like the rest of it.
00470f.jpg

yes, it's beautiful but i'm fairly sure we had this thread. i'll see if i can find it:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
francesca - I have merged this with the exsisting thread - just to keep things tidy. Hope you don't mind.

no, i don't mind..i couldn't remember seeing a thread already, so i started a new one.

ain't no thang! :smile:

I am very glad to see someone mention Aquascutum. I thought the fall collection was fantastic. Crinolin has been reinvented, and I am glad! This is an amazing start, and I think now all we need to see is something that sets this label apart form the likes of Lang and Baleciaga.

I first came across this by chance while browsing vogue.co.uk when all the f/w shows were coming out. I loved it--and I couldn't believe such a put-together collection had come seemingly out of nowhere.

I like the idea of brand re-vamps, even when they don't turn out so well. Something about that idea just appeals to me. Remembering Pringle's revamp...

:heart: I absolutely adore this collection!! Does anyone know more about the designer? This is the first time I've heard of it.

Fabulyss, here's what was mentioned in the review on vogue.co.uk:
GIVEN free rein to create something stunning to put Aquascutum into the realms of fashion's superpowers, menswear designer Graham Fidler and womenswear designer Michael Hertz clearly revelled in the task. There was a buzz before the show, in a gaping warehouse above the Trocadero accessed via a large clanking steel lift, as if we were about to see something important. The new label - known as Aquascutum as opposed to the original line, Aquascutum London, which launched in 1851 - is about classic English pieces moulded by the quintessential British talent for innovative draping and cut. Gorgeous silk jackets were shrunk to a stiff, curvy fit, frothy lace dresses had layered bustles beneath their skirts and large men's trench coats had been cleverly tailored down to flatter the models' slim frames. It was the best of British in terms of quality with lustrous brocade, lace, silk and wool making up pieces that threatened to damage fashionable bank accounts. However, with Herz's threat in mind that the new line "will ensure that Aquascutum is still around in another 150 years," they're worth every penny. (February 15 2005, PM)

cerfas, I see the Lanvin connection too, especially in the sihouettes, but I'm more strongly reminded of Helmut Lang...I think this collection combines the modern and the ethereal the same way that the best Helmut collections from the late 90s did.

i know i keep repeating myself, but honestly the more i see this, the more i love it , those two last looks at travolta's post.. i could wear till they fall apart

on the Helmut/Elbaz debate, i certainly see more HL than Elbaz
still i feel those guys are walking their own way, they are less 'gimicky' than HL and less 'serious' than Elbaz, their balance is right on modern and commercial, they seem effortless to me and this is so rare, pleasant and precious, if only there was more 'effortless' around

Last edited by a moderator:
i wish i could find out where i can see this collection....its so beautiful...and i still want that black coat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->