Are there any architects on this forum?

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any architects so I can ask a few "building design" questions :smile:

Does "aspiring architect" count? :wink: Just kidding. I probably wouldn't be of any help.

Thank you all :smile:
Would it be ok if I post a picture of what my architect has come up with for the "face" of our new house. We are not really happy with it and your suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I would like to see :woot: I think there is an architects/buildings thread some where...maybe that's more appropriate...

Here it is finally. It will all be bricks.

Attachments

• house unfinished.jpg
    house unfinished.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2
I look forward to your suggestions guys and girls :smile:
Also, colour scheme suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. We are thinking of creme/off white bricks with dark mortar, black aluminium windows and black/ dark gray shingle (flat) tiles for the roof. What do you guys think?

where are you located sweet_n_simple?
just curious in terms of thinking of how the house fits in with the area/climate..

i'm no architect but i work for a high end home magazine so i spend a lot of time looking at photos of beautiful houses :P

my first reaction is that that looks like A LOT of glass on the face of the home..
while it could be nice in terms of bringing light in..
if you live in an area that is cold it could be a bit of an insulation nightmare...
also there is the privacy issue...

it all depends on the type of glass you use though, i suppose..

aesthetically i don't like how the three windows are uneven..
i would suggest making the two left windows smaller so that they are even at the bottom with the window above the garage..

also, it looks like the front doors have glass panels..
i might think of making those wooden doors.. could look nice with the bricks..

but again, i think knowing where you live would help to picture it in that area..

What, where and who is the building for?
Chrissy M i right about loosing too much heat from the huge windows but maybe you can find a double glazed glass or something.
Maybe the garage is a little dominating but I dont know who it is for.
Do you have plans?
It's nicely drawn.
I wasn't very good at architecture so trust your gut feeling just back it up for crits.

Thank you ChrissyM :smile:

I am in Australia. The house will be facing North. That's a good point re: uneven windows. We will work on fixing that :smile:

where are you located sweet_n_simple?
just curious in terms of thinking of how the house fits in with the area/climate..

i'm no architect but i work for a high end home magazine so i spend a lot of time looking at photos of beautiful houses :P

my first reaction is that that looks like A LOT of glass on the face of the home..
while it could be nice in terms of bringing light in..
if you live in an area that is cold it could be a bit of an insulation nightmare...
also there is the privacy issue...

it all depends on the type of glass you use though, i suppose..

aesthetically i don't like how the three windows are uneven..
i would suggest making the two left windows smaller so that they are even at the bottom with the window above the garage..

also, it looks like the front doors have glass panels..
i might think of making those wooden doors.. could look nice with the bricks..

but again, i think knowing where you live would help to picture it in that area..

In Australia for my partner and I :smile:
We've got lots of cars so a double garage was kind of essential :(
I've also got the floor plans if anyone is interested. My partner did most of the design but it all went through the architect for checking and approval etc...

What, where and who is the building for?
Chrissy M i right about loosing too much heat from the huge windows but maybe you can find a double glazed glass or something.
Maybe the garage is a little dominating but I dont know who it is for.
Do you have plans?
It's nicely drawn.
I wasn't very good at architecture so trust your gut feeling just back it up for crits.

not an architect.. but I'd love to see the floor plans.
Have you thought about having the garage under the house? That would remove the problem of the uneven glasses.

Yes. We would have loved and underground garage. However, our budged doesnt stretch that far, unfortunatelly :(
Underground garages are very very expensive.
I will dig out the floor plans and post them soon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->