Ariane Koizumi

angel222

Reaction score
This new thread is to reintroduce the top Asian model of the 1980s Ariane Koizumi. She is a native New Yorker who began with Elite Models and worked the international catwalks of all the big name designers. As well as appearing in international editions of Vogue and other magazines. She then appeared as the female lead in the 1980s film "Year of the Dragon" with Mickey Rourke, really the first time in a long time that a major motion picture was opened with an Asian female.

Please enjoy, before Ling Tan, Jenny Shimizu, Du Juan, Han Jin, and Liu Wen, she simply used "Ariane" as her calling card.

Credit: VMagazine.com
6_v64021610.jpg
museoftheworld.gif

< > PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BACK TO V FASHION
ARIANE KOIZUMI

Photography Steven Meisel
Text Derek Blasberg

Some models, particularly those defined as nonclassic beauties, can claim a great discovery story: a scout meets an awkward beauty at an amusement park and makes her a supermodel overnight or a photographer finds a scrawny girl selling fruit in a small village and introduces her to a designer. But Ariane Koizumi, a born-and-bred New Yorker of Dutch and Japanese descent, who never considered herself an exemplar of fashion’s beauty standard, laughs at this sort of boilerplate. “Yeah, I didn’t have a Funny Face moment,” Koizumi says. “My friend was going to the School of Visual Arts and was an intern for a test photographer at a modeling agency. He took my picture and the agency saw it and signed me.”

After a few years of making the casting rounds, Koizumi moved to Paris. “And that did it,” she says. “It started very traditionally, working for Dior and doing fittings with Yves Saint Laurent. At that point, my look was very classic.” Then came the rather sudden transition from couture muse to face of high fashion: “I didn’t reinvent myself—they reinvented me,” she says of a haircut and new look organized by a posse of image makers that included Steven Meisel, Stephen Sprouse, and Julien d’Ys. “And then it all sort of popped! Steven and Stephen were a very specific moment in fashion, and you can’t get that back. And you can’t recreate it.”

After a decade as a model, Koizumi briefly worked as an actress before being drawn back to fashion—this time working on the other side of the industry, for the Prada store in New York. “For me, fashion wasn’t about being famous or a rock star. It was about the art of fashion, of couture, about the image. I wanted to be a mannequin with a soul,” says the Bronx-based mother of three. “But, believe me, looking back, it was wild!”

021710ariane2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
credit: wikipedia.com

Ariane Koizumi

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Ariane Koizumi Occupation Film, television actress, model Ariane Koizumi (born 1963) is known as a fashion model and actress (though often just credited as Ariane). She is of Japanese and Dutch parentage.[1]
Koizumi grew up in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York, and later modeled for numerous top designers, including Yves Saint-Laurent, Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, Giorgio Armani, Rei Kawakubo for Comme des Garçons and Jean Paul Gautier. She appeared in Vogue, Elle, Harper's Bazaar and other top publications and worked in the runways of Paris, Rome, Milan, Tokyo and other fashion centers worldwide. In 1985, she starred in Michael Cimino's film Year of the Dragon, in which she played the role of Chinese-American television reporter Tracy Tzu, who falls in love with the fanatical cop Stanley White, played by Mickey Rourke. For this role, she was nominated for two Razzie Awards.[2] Koizumi subsequently had a cameo in Abel Ferrara's King of New York.
[edit] Filmography

Ariane's got a new career now outside of modeling and acting, but is still in fashion. Here is her Linkedin profile I'd wish someone could contact her so she would be nice enough to post her own modeling heyday photos for her thread on TFS, it'll give her big exposure to the fashionistas trolling this site!

Ariane Koizumi Gomez

Sales Supervisor / Acting Manager at Giorgio Armani
Location Greater New York City Area Industry Retail
Current Past
  • Sales Associate at Prada
  • Sales Associate at Tom Ford for Yves Saint-Laurent
  • Sales Associate at Tom Ford for Gucci
  • Sales Associate at Prada Guggenheim
  • Sales Associate at Comme Des Garcons
see less...

see all...
Education
  • Parsons School of Design
Connections 5 connections
Public Profile http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ariane-koizumi-gomez/15/303/a11

Expanded profile views are available only to premium account holders. Upgrade your account.

Summary

Seeking a challenging position where extensive experience and excellent interpersonal skills may be profitably utilized while allowing for growth advancement.

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS

Background includes extensive and successful experience in these key areas:
Retail operations ... Client management . Personalized selling ... Quality customer service ... Promotional activities . Staff supervision . Training . Scheduling . Coaching . Motivation . Sales analysis . Ordering . Physical inventory ... Loss prevention ... Register operations/daily closing . Problem solving ... New store openings . Merchandising . Modeling .
Self-motivated and goal-oriented; extensive knowledge of fashion trends; interact effectively with co-workers and the public; take charge of situations to execute profitable results; fluent in Spanish.
Specialties

administration, art, balance, books, closing, coaching, contact management, customer relations, customer satisfaction, customer service, fashion, general management, inventory management, loss prevention, management, merchandising, microsoft money, philosophy, production, public relations, publicity, quality, research, sales, scheduling, seminars, supervisory skills,

Ariane we're greatly intrigued by the "World's First Asian Supermodel', if you are made aware of this thread at TFS. Please humbly provide us with some of your EXOTIC photos because they're very hard to find they're gems!

This is my call to the universe for this thread to grow!

Last edited by a moderator:
UK Vogue October 1988
"The Paris Couture: Pure Glamour"
Models: Ariane Kozumi & Cecilia Chancellor
Photographer: Hans Feurer
Hair: Didier Malige
Makeup: Mary Greenwell

Scanned by VogueSpirit @ topmodelsoftheworld.com

^You're welcome. :flower:

Mademoiselle September 1984
"Bright is Right!"
Model: Ariane Koizumi
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Hair: Julien d'Ys
Makeup: Kevyn Aucoin

facebook.com/www.supermodelicons.com

Vogue Paris February 1990
Chic Parade
Model: Gail Elliott; Ariane Koizumi; Jeny Howorth & Unknown
Ph: Walter Chin
Hair: Donald
Makeup: Nori

Scanned by kelles

ELLE France 26th March 1984
Dites-le Avec Des Fleurs
Ph: Bill King
Models: Ariane Koizumi; Monica Gripman (? maybe)
Stylist: Carlyne Cerf
Hair: Thom
Makeup: Lydia Synder

Scanned by kelles

UK ELLE August 1991
Galliano's Girl
Model: Ariane Koizumi
Ph: Mark Borthwick
Stylist: Debbie Barry
Hair: Nicolas Jurnjak
Makeup: Tracey Gray

Scanned by kelles