Asian And Black Models

Originally posted by Urban Stylin@Oct 1 2003, 11:40 PM
hi oria how comes the time article cant open?
[snapback]93829[/snapback]​

Not to change the subject in this thread...but urban stylin...what is the name of that Janet Jackson video you have playing in your avatar??

Thanks. :flower:

This girl is supposed to be an indian model,but she doesn't look indian
at all,she must be half.

photo2.jpg
photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

Originally posted by Urban Stylin@Oct 26 2004, 11:52 AM
could it be because they have been brainwashed by the west which they obviously look up to fashionwise that the ethinic look is not trendy?
[snapback]407371[/snapback]​

that's what i was getting at earlier

Bingo. And sadly, it extends way beyond fashion.

Originally posted by Urban Stylin@Oct 26 2004, 03:52 PM
could it be because they have been brainwashed by the west which they obviously look up to fashionwise that the ethinic look is not trendy?
[snapback]407371[/snapback]​

It's nothing new either... I remembered seeing similar posters in Chinatown, and then discovered this website. Also, when I was reading the In-Between World of Vikram Lall, by M.G. Vasanji, the main character's mother continuously made comments about how a certain person, or group wasn't as attractive because they had darker skin.

poster_cig4.jpg

Originally posted by ChristannChanell@Oct 26 2004, 03:50 PM
Not to change the subject in this thread...but urban stylin...what is the name of that Janet Jackson video you have playing in your avatar??

Thanks. :flower:
[snapback]407414[/snapback]​

its called everytime though i dont seem to remember it.

Originally posted by zashikibuta@Oct 25 2004, 11:21 PM
to be honest...actualy..most Asians..(not Asian Americans) PREFER to look at a model who does not have the typical Asian features...Hooded eyelids, dark skin, long or round face, ..etc... They'd rather look at a model who looks white... Big eyes, etc.... So I'm not surprised Designers haven't emphasized the typical Asian look in their lineup. There's not a big following for that look even for (I'll say Asian natives.

It's often I hear a Filipino mother say, (about newborns) *thank goodness he/she doesn't look too Asian, i.e Chinese* With FIlipino babies, *Chinese looking* babies are kinda like that *red-headed step child* of the caucasian race...I think. And it's not a preferable look. (*from my personal experience*)
[snapback]406847[/snapback]​

i thought models are chosen on the basis of lookign beautiful and interesting and not on the ratio they represent. whats more even the 2% indian american ratio isnt represented and even the models chosen dont just appeal to america but to the whole world.

Originally posted by Urban Stylin@Oct 27 2004, 04:51 AM
i thought models are chosen on the basis of lookign beautiful and interesting and not on the ratio they represent. whats more even the 2% indian american ratio isnt represented and even the models chosen dont just appeal to america but to the whole world.
[snapback]407899[/snapback]​
If that was indeed the case we'd be seeing much more of Yasmin Warsame and less Hana Soukupova. :wink:

Actually it's more about appealing to those who consume the most in terms of fashion and its related industries. Otherwise we'd also see alot more of Ujjwallah and Ai as well. It's also about who decides what is "appealing" and who has the power to put images in magazines.

thus we should be blaming the people with the power to determine who is appealing and who isnt. i mean alek was literally forced down peoples throats and now they cant get enough of her or her lookalikes>

to be honest...actualy..most Asians..(not Asian Americans) PREFER to look at a model who does not have the typical Asian features...Hooded eyelids, dark skin, long or round face, ..etc... They'd rather look at a model who looks white... Big eyes, etc....

I guess that is why so many American models do so well in Asia.

Originally posted by Sloan@Oct 28 2004, 04:09 PM
I guess that is why so many American models do so well in Asia.
[snapback]409564[/snapback]​

and also merican celebs ala mariah carey and co.

http://www.firstview.com/WRTWspring2001/ANTONIO_D_ERRICO/00061.L.JPG[/IMG

[img]http://www.firstview.com/WRTWspring2001/ANTONIO_D_ERRICO/00062.L.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJS33
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"