Atoosa Rubenstein Resigns from Seventeen Magazine

peacelover142002

go red sox
Reaction score
November 7, 2006 -- Atoosa Rubenstein, the high-profile editor-in-chief of Seventeen magazine, is leaving the top-selling teen title to launch her own teen-centered Web business, write a book and start a consulting firm specializing in the youth market.

Rubenstein said the decision to step down and walk away from a pay package believed to be in the mid- to high six-figure range was hers alone.

"I'm a risk taker," she said. "I don't play the game in a safe way. I've never been driven by power or money. I've always had a very strong relationship with our audience, and I hope to develop that in a more immediate and visceral way."

Her departure is the latest jolt to a marketplace that has been rocked by the shutdown of two teen titles in the past year by leading publishing giants: Time Inc. shut down Teen People and Hachette Filipacchi Media shut down Elle Girl. Both are keeping their names alive on the Web.

Two years ago, once-hot YM magazine was shut down by Gruner + Jahr USA, and its circulation list was sold to Condé Nast's Teen Vogue.

Rubenstein was an editor who seemed to enjoy an almost cult-like following, but one who also absorbed some caustic barbs from critics. More recently, as a number of top staffers exited, Page Six wrote that some disgruntled staffers dubbed her Atoosa the Hun.

She also generated controversy recently when she booked Paris Hilton for the December cover that is now hitting newsstands. When Hilton was arrested for drunk driving, she was able to keep the cover provided she did a public service ad warning about the dangers of drunk driving that also appears in the magazine.

Rubenstein said she has hooked up with CAA's Kevin Huvane to explore her next move and hopes to begin working on a book that is expected to be part how-to and part memoir.

Source: NY Post

I'm sad about this, because I think Atoosa is awesome. I've followed her since she was the CosmoGirl! editor, where she did an amazing job. However, she has not done such a good job at Seventeen, so I hope the new editor will make it better.

Hallelujah!

I had to learn how to spell hallelujah to show how I feel... If anyone has seen my other posts in the teen magazine thread, they know how much I despise the Seventeen she has created... I remember subscribing to Seventeen back in 5th grade. I was in 5th grade, so I didn't know a thing about editors or the business of magazines, period. But, I definitely noticed (and was happy) when they started making changes to the design of the cover and how the magazine got thicker. Then, I started seeing more dramatic changes in organization, font used, etc. I became aware of a new editor when Rubenstein's large-font letters to the readers started appearing. There was a new health section and I know they featured more plus size models under her leadership, but overall, IMO the magazine sets a bad example for young girls. I see people at my school reading the magazine and I can only help but scream. They have Paris Hilton on the current issue! There's only so much a person can read about when every other issue is "THE HAIR ISSUE!" or about "getting my best butt." It's not worth the $3 or $4 when the issue is less than 150 pages long and more than 1/3 are ads.

1206_magcover.gif

She has a blog on myspace, FYI...

Not a big fan of her work with Seventeen, but she was amazing at CosmoGirl! I was sooo sad when she left that magazine.

Atoosa resigns from Seventeen Magazine

Atoosa's Readers Speak!
And so does Cathie Black

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

(NEW YORK) Though Atoosa Rubenstein’s resignation from Seventeen Magazine Tuesday came as a surprise to many in fashion and media circles, perhaps no group was more caught off guard than her magazine’s own readers.
That’s because Rubenstein, on Monday, was one of 70 guest speakers at Columbia University’s 67th-annual Scholastic Press Association fall conference, where high school students and faculty members alike filled every seat of the school’s Lerner Cinema awaiting her arrival. Rubenstein had been asked to speak because, as the youngest editor at the Hearst Corporation when she launched CosmoGIRL!, she was seen as an ideal fit for the demographic.
Rubenstein resigned to launch her own teen-centered web business, as well as write a book and start a consulting firm specializing in the youth market. Her seminar, entitled “Get to the Top,” saw Rubenstein walking down the memory lane of her experiences, not just as an eager editor but as what she described as a “bona fide dork” in high school. Throughout her speech, she encouraged students to follow their dreams, and insisted that although she was always working, she loved her position, stressing the importance of perseverance, stamina, and passion. “So it came as a great shock to many of those students today, when Rubenstein declared her resignation at Seventeen,” said Jennifer Pelly, a freelance writer from Long Island, who was one of dozens in attendance.
During her speech, deemed humorous by many in attendance, Rubenstein stated frankly that she slacked off in school and admitted that she is now making little use of her political science degree from Barnard College. Rubenstein described magazines as "her savior" as a teenager, according to Pelly. “When a student in the audience asked her how many hours a week she currently works, she responded by happily stating that she is always working,” she said.
When reached for comment, a Hearst spokeswoman issued the following statement: “After 12 years at Hearst, seven of which were spent editing two important magazines, CosmoGIRL! and Seventeen, Atoosa Rubenstein has decided to step out into the entrepreneurial world and realize her dream of starting her own company and becoming the voice of empowerment to a generation of teens.”
Cathie Black, president of Hearst Magazines, commented, “From the first time I met Atoosa, I knew this was a young woman with a tremendous creative energy and she has proven that over and over, both in creating CosmoGIRL! and then taking on the editorship of Seventeen after Hearst acquired it in 2003. At both titles, she created strong teams, and during her time at Seventeen, she increased newsstand sales, launched the reality show Miss Seventeen on MTV, and created her own website and a presence for Seventeen on MySpace, among other key partnerships, strengthening Seventeen’s leadership in the teen category. We expect to have an ongoing relationship with Atoosa in her future endeavors. We think the world of her and wish her only the best.”
Hearst has been interviewing for several weeks and will name a successor shortly.
JIM SHI
Source:
The fashion Daily

If this has been posted already..please delete!

She did a good job IMO!

Ohhh, Seventeen. My first magazine was Seventeen... with Claire Danes on the front... Used to be my bible when I was 13 or 14. :blush:

I remember reading the very first cosmo girl and her editor bit in it and how passionate she was about that demographic. I hope that she is doing this to pursue her interests in a more pure form and possibly lower her working hours, not to make more money

Eh.....I didn't a good/bad opinion of Atoosa until I saw her MissSeventeen show...:yuk: Now I have a slight dislike of Atoosa.

It wasn't a bad show but I think some of the stuff Atoosa did was tasteless....like tricking Savanah into posing for an independent photo shoot and then kicking her off the show for doing it. I thought that was really crass of Atoosa.

Plus, the girl she picked as Miss Seventeen was that stupid blonde girl who cried over every small thing and laughed at someone who complained on the Seventeen hotline. So unprofessional and immature! It seemed like the only reason Atoosa picked the blonde girl over the brunette girl (the brunette was very mature and responsible) was because the blonde girl's parents were in jail. That's so unfair! That doesn't make her qualified to work at a magazine! Grr...:angry:

^That's exactly how I feel. I'm interested to see what's going to happen to Seventeen now. I was gonna cancel my subscription (which I should have done a long time ago, but I'm nostalgic - I've been subscribing to it since I was 11 or 12) but maybe I'll keep it to see if the mag improves.

Erin said:
Ohhh, Seventeen. My first magazine was Seventeen... with Claire Danes on the front... Used to be my bible when I was 13 or 14. :blush:

Same here. Although I agree that I didn't realize maybe her true character until I caught an episode of the Miss Seventeen show. Crazy! :ninja:

YESSS! she really killed seventeen,
but then im not sure if it was ever good.

imo..
seventeen should go back to the formula it had in the late seventies...
when it was THE teen mag...

lucky magazine has adopted a similar formula and look at the success it has become...

Atoosa is probably getting out while she is still on top...
before she goes down with that ship...
smart girl..!!

peacelover-thanks for the news...:heart:

I used to love seventeen magazine when i was around 12-14...god that was like 7 yrs ago...and i think atoosa did a good job at cosmogirl...but her little letter from the editor things were quite annoying...but she ruined seventeen...i have paged through them before at the store...it is awful now...

from her myspace blog...

Five years after we launched CosmoGIRL!, Hearst bought Seventeen and because of our business success at CG!, they moved me over here to fix this magazine. And we sure did. (We reversed a 5 year decline in sale with our very first issue and have continued to grow ever since while other magazines around us are struggling or going out of business). When I say "we" -- I mean you too. You are why Seventeen has been successful.

But the one thing that also happened was that the more successful we got, the less I was able to do the one thing that meant the most to me -- interacting personally with you. Like, remember the early CosmoGIRL! days? Remember when I was able to write you back when you would write to me?? You are why I'm here -- but the nature of the business of magazines is that I'm constantly in meetings, I'm constantly on TV talking to your parents, I'm constantly needing to do lots important things -- but all things that keep me from doing something else very important -- talking one-on-one with you.

apparently she felt the seventeen reader is different than the cosmogirl reader...from wwd...

Rubenstein admitted to being unhappy in her post for some time. (Earlier this year, she reflected in a blog on her 2003 transition from CosmoGIRL!: "Seventeen really WAS a different crowd of girls. You didn't necessarily care about me the way my CosmoGIRL!s did...I felt lonely.") She said she's planning a consultancy on reaching teen audiences, will do speaking engagements and is working on a memoir/instructive book. (She hasn't found a literary agent yet but said she is "very close" to signing one.) And despite the underwhelming response to her MTV show "Miss Seventeen," Rubenstein has been spending more time in Los Angeles.

Yeah, I was so sad when she left CosmoGirl! I loved her letters to the reader, they were so personal and inspiring. When she went to Seventeen, it was less about a personal connection with the reader and more about showcasing celebrities and clothing. CG! has gone downhill without her, and Seventeen was never that good to begin with. Maybe her bad behavior was a reflection of how she felt about the whole situation.

I didn't renew my seventeen subcription. ever since they put stupid blondies like Paris Hilton and Kristin Calavari on the cover, I lost all respect for them.

oh my, freaky. I really hate that little man from the saw movies, he's just too freaky.

I noticed a decline in the quality of both magazines when Atoosa had left CG! for Seventeen.

I still can't forgive her for publishing one Real Life "Drama" article called "My Dad is Addicted to p*rn." Of all the world happenings- starvation, hurricanes, rapes, violence- and she ran a story about something so normal. And it was on the cover too. I will never forget how mad at her I got. I was hoping she would be better than that.

Seventeen under Atoosa tried too hard, but cosmoGirl! without Atoosa doesn't try at all... both magazines always tend to be forgettable, and none of the teen magazines of today are on par with TeenVouge, which tends to entertain (at least me) for days on end, and I find myself picking up the old issues and reading them months later. I can't say that for the other two.

I didn't know they stopped Teen People. Praise the lord! It was becoming a cheap, magazine version of Access Hollywood, all about stars and nothing about real life.

So what teen magazines are left in the US? Teen Vouge, Teen (seasonal), CosmoGIRL!, and Seventeen are all I can think of.

Wait TeenPeople's done too???

I miss ElleGirl. It was best teen magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->