Seventeen Magazine Gets Religion

blah...they're desperate to differentiate themselves in the flooded teen market...and since the fashion isn't particularly good , they're trying to do it this way...i'm fairly confident that this is not going to have the desired effect...

it's an act of desperation im my opinion...but even god can't save seventeen...

If only they marketed at teenage boys...it would sell like...hot cakes.

Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 7 2004, 05:26 PM
blah...they're desperate to differentiate themselves in the flooded teen market...and since the fashion isn't particularly good , they're trying to do it this way...i'm fairly confident that this is not going to have the desired effect...

it's an act of desperation im my opinion...but even god can't save seventeen...
[snapback]358594[/snapback]​

:rofl: :clap:

Originally posted by seraphelle@Sep 3 2004, 04:47 PM
I think it's awesome... I'm not very religious myself but religion is a political and anthropological issue these days. The more education the better!
[snapback]355644[/snapback]​

For me religious education sounds as an oxymoron.
Isn't education about opening your eyes?

Originally posted by Sybarite@Sep 8 2004, 09:59 AM
For me religious education sounds as an oxymoron.
Isn't education about opening your eyes?
[snapback]359256[/snapback]​

Yes... and I find it close-minded if you are implying that religion only constrains

Originally posted by seraphelle@Sep 9 2004, 12:54 PM
Yes... and I find it close-minded if you are implying that religion only constrains
[snapback]361002[/snapback]​

Tell me, what has organized religion opened your eyes up to, or how did it emancipate you?

Originally posted by faust@Sep 9 2004, 01:57 PM
Tell me, what has organized religion opened your eyes up to, or how did it emancipate you?
[snapback]361004[/snapback]​

I think you misunderstood what I was saying; please don't assume that I am dogmatic because I said that religion may have value. I don't in fact belong to an organized religion because I do feel that my ideals would be compromised if I were to submit to a pulpit.

I was defending the notion of learning about religion (and everything else). I consider myself radically liberal and I still find the religious teachings of certain writers to be emancipating. Buddha teaches love and inspiration, Kahlil Gibran teaches to seek "a truth" not "the truth", and Jesus teaches that leadership can exist without elitism.

BTW -- I am truly interested in your response and am not just arguing for the sake of arguing. :flower:

Originally posted by seraphelle@Sep 9 2004, 06:22 PM
I think you misunderstood what I was saying; please don't assume that I am dogmatic because I said that religion may have value. I don't in fact belong to an organized religion because I do feel that my ideals would be compromised if I were to submit to a pulpit.

I was defending the notion of learning about religion (and everything else). I consider myself radically liberal and I still find the religious teachings of certain writers to be emancipating. Buddha teaches love and inspiration, Kahlil Gibran teaches to seek "a truth" not "the truth", and Jesus teaches that leadership can exist without elitism.

BTW -- I am truly interested in your response and am not just arguing for the sake of arguing. :flower:
[snapback]361320[/snapback]​

Oh, well, that is absolutely true and a completely different issue. You scared the beeJesus( :lol: ) out of me first. Sorry I misinterpreted your post. I'm the first one to champion the teaching of Buddha. And just to restate, Buddhism is not a religion in a sense religion is viewed, there is no god, noone to worship, and time and again it is stated that the shrines, robes, and statues are not necessery, the shrines were built purely to have a space for meditation :flower: .

I am so glad I am way the hell too old for Seventeen. That's all.

I get to feeling like I'm getting Jesused to death on a normal day anyway. I think a lot of Christians don't realize how prevalent their religion and culture is...non-Christians can sometimes feel like they can never get a break from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->