Azzedine Alaia

Did anybody see the collab btw Alaia and M&M (it is sold through their site) ?

Or you can have a preview + an itw in newest issue of Self Service (Joe McKenna issue).

Another old one date from 1994 from the elite look of the year

Here you are, searching for more in my old collection...
Pictures scanned by me:o

ordered alaia pony hair black/white pony hair hiking boots. :smile:

voila, alaia snow leopard pony platform hiking boots.

^ That is one nice dangerous looking heels!! Well done!
and
Colette_B chauss, those boots are gorgeous.!

thanks juice and colette,
it finally stopped raining so i got to wear them today for the first time. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
source | wwd.com

Looks from Azzedine Alaïa’s fall line.

Azzedine Alaïa on Fashion's Pace

PARIS —
Add Azzedine Alaïa’s voice to the argument that fashion’s breakneck pace of collections must be halted.

“It’s inhumane,” Alaïa said Tuesday at his headquarters in the Marais here, where he invited a handful of editors to a showroom presentation of his fall collection, almost a week after Paris Fashion Week drew to a close.

Indeed, asked about shamed couturier John Galliano — ousted from Dior amidst widening allegations of drunken racist and anti-Semitic outbursts — Alaïa suggested the crushing workload must surely have been a factor in the designer’s downfall.

“It’s sad. He’s a friend,” a rueful Alaïa said. “It’s too much: too many collections; too much pressure.”

Alaïa lamented that the pace of fashion is also too onerous for journalists, who are overwhelmed by an onslaught of seasons and collections, leaving them no time to absorb what they have seen, let alone see enough of their families.

Alaïa declined to hazard a guess who Dior might tap to succeed Galliano, who headed the brand’s creative rejuvenation and devoted 15 years to the house.

“There are some people who are irreplaceable,” he said.

Meanwhile, Alaïa continues to work at his own pace and on his own terms, choosing to show almost exclusively knitwear at Tuesday’s presentation: short fit-and-flare dresses, sinuous gowns and small, cardiganlike jackets. (The only exceptions were a few ultrafeminine trenchcoats in printed ponyskin.)

He noted he’s mulling showing his more intricate pieces — including styles in leather and fur — during couture week here.

Preferring a hands-on approach to the business, Alaïa was slated to travel to Italy later this week to check on his production facility: Maglificio Miles, which has been knitting up his technical marvels for more than two decades.

For fall, Alaïa enlivened his signature shapes with an array of textures and prints, from simple raised dots to bold zebra stripes or animal spots. Zigzag edges around necklines and shoulder straps gave his sleek, figure-hugging dresses extra teeth.

Other graphic details included face-framing collars on zip-front styles and dense micro pleats swishing on skater styles.

Cascading frills edged minidresses or encircled long gowns, giving them flamenco airs.

Alaïa declined to give sales figures, deferring questions about the vitality of business to his key wholesale partners, such as Barneys New York in America and Dover Street Market in London.

Daniella Vitale, Barneys New York chief merchant and executive vice president, said, ““The business has always been a stalwart of Barneys but it has seen tremendous growth, in all categories, with the newly articulated space. There is no one like M. Alaia and our client is enamored by his dedication, creativity and inspiration.”

Alaïa did cite an influx of Russian clients and disclosed plans to open a second Paris boutique, in addition to the one on Rue de Moussy attached to his sprawling complex of buildings, which includes a three-room hotel and home to a future five-story Alaïa foundation.

The designer also continues to use his airy atrium for exhibitions. Coming soon is a showcase for young photographers from ECAL, the famous university of art and design in Lausanne, Switzerland.

oh i love the first one. it's got a sort of sporty and more youthful vibe to it. His dresses are truly unforgiving!

^^ unforgiving indeed... but they do look amazing!

I'm not really a fan of Azzedine, the man... however his clothes are just so sublime both in pics, in person, in street-style stars, in anyone who dares to wear it really!

runway.blogs.nytimes.com

0317horynalaia1articlei.jpg
0317horynalaia2articlei.jpg
0317horynalaia113003841.jpg

March 17, 2011, 1:01 pm
A Look at Alaïa’s Fall Collection
By CATHY HORYN

Coming out of the Miu Miu show on the last day of the Paris collections, I had the feeling I was connecting again with ordinary life. Energized by the early spring weather, or maybe the thought of going home, everybody had lightened up, retracted their claws. I thought about going for a drink or a manicure. Instead I went to Eric Kayser, bought my umpteenth café au lait, and took it back to my hotel room and started a review. Around 8:30 p.m., I went to Azzedine Alaïa’s place in the Marais.
Models show dresses at Azzedine Alaïa’s studio in Paris as a preview to his next ready-to-wear collection.Valerio Mezzanotti for The New York Times Models show dresses at Azzedine Alaïa’s studio in Paris as a preview to his next ready-to-wear collection.

This has become almost a ritual, the late-night, last-day stop at Mr. Alaïa’s to see what he has been making. He doesn’t have shows anymore. Sometimes I wedge in a studio visit during the collections, just as I do with other designers, but this time the Galliano-Dior business had kept me busy. I think it wore everyone down in the end — the disgust, the disappointment, the blitz of stories. Things were out of control, though the unraveling hardly began with a drunken rant by a designer in a bar. Strange to say, but I think this feeling of the industry operating under extreme pressure, like a valve, will be the condition and not the exception.

Mr. Alaïa greeted me at the door, and I followed him into the kitchen, where a woman had put out bottles of wine and was spreading something like hummus on slices of bread. I looked around and Mr. Alaïa had vanished. I shrugged: he would turn up presently. With a glass of wine, I went into the showroom, where I found Vanessa Friedman, the fashion editor of The Financial Times, seated at a table. The Alaïa staff had prepared the showroom for store buyers, who would descend the next day for appointments. But Mr. Alaïa was going to give us a small showing. Is this the way fashion should be? A close-up view of the things one man has been working on? Yes, ideally. But the luxury business doesn’t really have that luxury anymore.
A preview of Azzedine Alaïa’s next ready-to-wear collection.Valerio Mezzanotti for The New York Times A preview of Azzedine Alaïa’s next ready-to-wear collection.
A preview of Azzedine Alaïa’s next ready-to-wear collection.Valerio Mezzanotti for The New York Times A preview of Azzedine Alaïa’s next ready-to-wear collection.

The knit dresses and skirts he showed were mostly in dark tones and animal patterns, like zebra and Dalmatian; this season, many of the shoes in the collection match the knits. As close as the models were in this presentation, as intimate as it was (“Would you mind if I touch your skirt?”), it was actually hard to tell that these were knits. Almost 30 years of working with the same Italian knit-maker has allowed Mr. Alaïa to create all kinds of hocus-pocus. One bit of illusion is a structure typically associated with multiple seams, darts or underpinnings. But these full-skirted knits depend on few of those elements. There were also some slim zip-front dresses with collars that fold back on the shoulders and nicely frame the face.

Mr. Alaïa showed us a few couture garments, too, temptingly. He may decide to show these in a more complete way later on, so I won’t rush him. But I will say he showed a technique that I have never seen before, in which a panel of wool had been pressed into a perfectly symmetrical row of concave shapes, not unlike the molds of a madeleine pan.

09alaiaspanarticlelarge.jpg

20101209alaiaslideeos1s.jpg

December 8, 2010
Azzedine Alaïa: The Master of the Female Form
By CATHY HORYN

ON the second floor of a former warehouse in the Marais quarter of Paris, the little man in the faded Chinese pajamas picked up the phone on the second ring. It was after 1 a.m., but few people who dialed his number at that hour expected to get a machine or a sleepy voice. They expected to get Azzedine Alaïa, the designer, and like an Arab grocery, he was open late.

A reporter was calling from New York. That evening, April 3, 2009, at a dinner in Baden-Baden, Germany, for NATO leaders and their spouses, Michelle Obama had worn a form-fitting black dress opening to a tiered skirt. Pictures of it were on the Internet. The first lady obviously loved clothes, and the media quickly got the idea that she was not going to be stuck on one or two designers and almost as quickly developed a rationale for her ever-changing wardrobe. The 50-odd labels she wore in the first year reflected a “democratic” approach.

You couldn’t blame the wire services for not knowing every designer’s signature style. So the pictures from Baden-Baden were sent without ID.

But one thing alone identified the dress as an Alaïa; well, two things. Even without the cold gleam of the first lady’s arms, it provoked the idea that a woman tends to look her most beautiful in clothes that make her look strong, not glamorous or sexy or powerful. There is a difference. Those with a vivid memory of Stephanie Seymour squatting in Richard Avedon’s 1994 portrait to plant a kiss on her favorite designer, her naked buttocks leaving her Alaïa chaps with the whooosh of an automobile in a snowbound slide, will surely debate the point that strength is the essential ingredient of an Alaïa.

And maybe so. Maybe the notion of strong-looking fashion, based on concrete methods and examples rather than abstractions and ironic statements, is dying, and there is nobody around with the grit and stamina to map the geography of a woman’s body, as he has done for last 45 years. Ballet has its technique and physical rigors. Painting has its schools. American music has its places of the heart, like the Delta; cookery, its ingredients and careful preparations. Fashion, though, gets its power and unanswerable logic from the female body, and, at roughly 70, Azzedine Alaïa is its undisputed master.

Even so, do you want to explain all this? The standard pattern of a designer interview is to give you emotional turbidity. (John Galliano, on a 2003 Dior couture show: “I want to feel it. I want to rip and tear it and cut it until the pain is in the dresses.”) Mr. Alaïa would show you how to make the dress and shut up about the rest. Not talking about it is also a way to avoid a falseness — the falseness of thinking poetic language can be applied to dressmaking. At some point you have to decide what color “pain” is, and whether it should have long sleeves or short.

Like other types of craftsmen who perform the actual work themselves — aside from designing every style, he does all the pattern-making and fittings — he’s happiest when working. He works all the time. And since he has always lived and worked under the same roof (for the last 19 years on rue de Moussy, and for much longer with his partner, Christoph von Weyhe, a painter, and a variety of dogs and cats), this is no problem. His ideal assistant is someone just like him. “He wants someone who understands his way of thinking, someone who makes him happy when he’s working and gives him feedback,” said the designer Sophie Theallet, who worked with him for a dozen years.

He has a great sense of friendship. Should she ever find herself in Paris with a free evening, Mrs. Obama would probably feel at home in his kitchen. No fuss would be made. Many of his ideas are really a continuation of his childhood in Tunisia, where his father farmed wheat, and women ran the show. For a few years in his youth, Azzedine assisted a Madame Pinot, a local midwife, delivering babies. She also taught him about fashion. So when he went to Paris in 1957, to study couture, he knew a lot about many things. Almost immediately he met a couple of prominent French families, one of whom hired him as a nanny. Eventually this brought him into contact with women who were helpful to his fashion career, like the writer Louise de Vilmorin and Arletty. “I was really lucky,” he said.

Also useful to his fashion education were the few years he designed costumes for the dancers at the Crazy Horse. “I learned a lot about women’s naked bodies at the Crazy Horse,” he once said.

His circle of friends remains eclectic, with photographers like Jean-Baptiste Mondino, and the furniture and product designer Marc Newson and his wife, Charlotte Stockdale. Not long ago, at a birthday party held at Mr. Alaïa’s for the writer Jean Daniel, I looked around at the room of heavyweights — Milan Kundera, Carlos Fuentes, Bernard-Henri Lévy — and wondered what, beyond the fate of France, could unite them.

As usual the answer was in plain sight. “Everyone,” said the model Veronica Webb, “has a woman who loves Azzedine.”

You could certainly find interview subjects with more to say about themselves. But as far as he is concerned, everything that is worth knowing can be observed. You just have to watch him work, and wait.

Jean-Paul Goude, the advertising director, and friend since the early ’80s, said: “He is very, very introverted, in fact. He can be mean to people — he’s just a human being and he gets mad. In a way, I find him calculated, and I don’t mean that in a bad way. He knows exactly what he’s doing. The silences are on purpose. He doesn’t want people to know too much.”

So how else could someone determine the identity of Mrs. Obama’s dress? The house of Alaïa, while not indifferent to press, almost never sends out a press release — of course!

On the phone he sounded pleased that she was wearing his dress, but he didn’t have much more to say. Usually he custom-makes dresses for V.I.P.’s — that’s the only way he’ll agree to dress an actress for a premiere, if she comes to Paris for fittings. But Mrs. Obama bought her dresses, and several other Alaïa pieces, at Ikram in Chicago. Through Ikram, he specially made the gray-blue dress she wore to the Nobel Prize awards.

One night a few weeks after the Baden-Baden event, Mr. Alaïa was again on the phone. This time he was in a rage. He had just discovered that the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which was about to open its “Model as Muse” exhibition, had left him out of the show. There was one photograph acknowledging his role, which in the ’80s, when he was called “the King of Cling,” was considerable. Also, he had been making dresses for Naomi Campbell, Ms. Seymour and four other models to wear to the opening gala. Now he told them all he didn’t want them to go near the Met that night. And, of course, knowing him as well as they did, they stayed away.

The curators’ explanation was that they didn’t think Mr. Alaïa would agree to be involved in a group show. His anger and his vigilance were entirely understandable. Ms. Campbell striding down Sunset Boulevard in his checked briefs and bra top, Bruce Weber’s athletic shots of knit dresses on the Santa Monica beach, Marie-Sophie Wilson as Arletty in Peter Lindbergh’s grainy Paris images — these summed up an entire era.

In 2000, when I wrote a long article about Mr. Alaïa, François Lesage, the embroiderer, said, “It’s easier to look at Azzedine’s place in the fashion world than to explain it.” At the time he was just emerging from a tough time. He had lost his beloved sister to cancer; Arletty also died. (“He went into mourning the way someone does in a Marquez novel,” Ms. Webb said.) On top of everything, he had money troubles. Deliveries of collections, already slow, became very slow. A friend suggests he may have looked at the excitement being created by big luxury brands like Gucci and “not felt good enough.”

Then, with Carla Sozzani, the Milan retailer, involved, Prada invested in his company. Delivery schedules were beefed up. A new shoe line was an immediate hit. In 2007, without fanfare, the Swiss luxury group Richemont stepped in and bought Alaïa, assuming 100 percent control and creating, at his request, a foundation that would preserve his enormous, and enormously valuable, archive.

Buying such a small company (estimated annual sales: $34 million) tied to the talents of its founder may be risky. On the other hand, the Alaïa name hasn’t been sullied. It hasn’t been pushed into the mainstream, like some luxury brands in recent years, nor put into service of a fast-fashion giant. And the clothes keep getting better and better. “The sell-throughs have been extremely good,” Martha Wikstrom, chief executive of Richemont’s fashion businesses, said, adding: “Our goal is not to tell Azzedine what to do. It’s to help him pursue what he’s interested in doing.”

In a way, Mr. Alaïa’s place in the fashion world has remained constant while everything around him has changed. Many brands have moved away from extravagant shows or conceptual clothes and have embraced wearable styles. But Mr. Alaïa always made clothes that could go in the street and, owning to their precise execution, “make you feel great inside,” as the editor Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele said. If a lot of new fashion doesn’t look so special or worth the price, it’s usually because the design doesn’t have a sense of being resolved.

Not long ago, Mr. Mondino did a shoot in Paris of nine young designers, and they all identified Mr. Alaïa and Martin Margiela as their lodestars. But without Mr. Alaïa’s precision, his mastery of craft and his ease around women’s bodies, this will only lead to bad parodies.

“It’s commendable and really reassuring that there are people who still work like that,” Mr. Newson said. “It’s kind of an anachronism, and so is the concept of the fashion designer.” More and more, things will be made differently, simpler. There won’t be the demand for a jacket that is the result of hours of careful adjustment and pinning on a body. Yet, Mr. Newson regrets the loss of a thought process connected with that skill.

One Saturday night in October, Mr. Alaïa was in his studio fitting some spring clothes — a short-sleeve black dress and a knit tube skirt — on a model. There wasn’t one quality that made the dress modern-looking. Rather, it was the combination of the newness of the micro-dot cotton lace, the narrow fit of the minimalist shape, the little pleat below the rear, and the digital pop of red from the underslip that made the dress look modern. After giving a side seam a tug, Mr. Alaïa turned his attention to the knit skirt. He didn’t like how the waistband fit.

Next to him was Silvia Bocchese, whose factory in Italy has been making his knits for 30 years. She likes to deliver the samples in person, so she can see what he wants adjusted, and then she goes back and explains the changes to her knitters. She has worked with a lot of designers, she said.

“What is really the difference is that I have this direct contact with him,” she said. “In the other ateliers, I deal with an assistant. In all these years, he is really the only one.”
new york times

Some shots from Azzedine Alaia Spring- Summer 2011

20101209alaiaslides7mgs.jpg
20101209alaiaslidetnjgs.jpg

20101209alaiaslidepx1as.jpg

nytimes

It's so good, it's insane. It makes you wonder about Dior, perhaps Alaia should have been doing it all along...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->