Bailey On Ford

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
they used to work together so now...

BAILEY ON FORD: Did Tom Ford feel his ears burning Wednesday? It’s likely, as Burberry creative director Christopher Bailey relived his five-year career at Gucci for an auditorium of fashion students in London. “Tom Ford is a very, very difficult person to work for as he’s very demanding,” he told them in an interview conducted by fashion historian Colin McDowell as part of Graduate Fashion Week. “He’d give you so much responsibility and then at the last minute say he hated the whole collection and give you two days to change it.” Bailey spoke of initially turning down a meeting with Ford when he was working for Donna Karan, but admitted that six months later he was lured to Gucci, where he ended up as women’s design director. “Tom can seduce anybody,” said Bailey with total affection. “He proposed a salary, I slightly shook and then said absolutely that’s what I’m looking for.” He added that, unlike Ford, he has no desire to get his own name on a label. “It’s not about celebrity. You have to be a specific type of person for that. I just try to get myself into the world of the company I’m working for.”

from wwd :flower:

Well ... Bailey was very gentleman-like on his comments ... kudos to that ...
Got to love a HUMBLE designer.

Tks, Le! :flower:

i thought it was obvious that tom ford expected the world out of the people he surrounded himself with since he himself had so little training/expertise. (sort of the george dubya approach of surrounding yourself with good people) :unsure:

Originally posted by mikeijames@Jun 10th, 2004 - 9:11 am
i thought it was obvious that tom ford expected the world out of the people he surrounded himself with since he himself had so little training/expertise. (sort of the george dubya approach of surrounding yourself with good people) :unsure:
' GOOD PEOPLE ' ???????

KIT :o

Originally posted by kit@Jun 10th, 2004 - 9:18 am

' GOOD PEOPLE ' ???????

wrong word...wrong word....let me say, people obviously more qualified :ninja:

Originally posted by mikeijames+Jun 10th, 2004 - 9:52 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mikeijames @ Jun 10th, 2004 - 9:52 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kit@Jun 10th, 2004 - 9:18 am

' GOOD PEOPLE ' ???????

wrong word...wrong word....let me say, people obviously more qualified :ninja: [/b][/quote]
EXACTEMENT , though I'd even take issue with you on THAT :blush: :blush: :blush:

KIT :cry:

Originally posted by mikeijames@Jun 10th, 2004 - 9:11 am
If I remember that interview last month right...Prada doesn't even draw her own designs ...would you say the same about her? :o

:blink: what does Prada has to do with Bailey's Ford comments ?

lets keep it on topic if you dont mind :ninja:

great to have kit's voice back in the mix...

yeah...i think it's becoming more and more clear that ford had some people working with him who actually designed the collections...he became more of a PR person and company figurehead...then he would take credit for everyone else's hard work...it's true that he's not the only one to do this however...i just think he was even less involved than most...

i can see it in the inconsistency in some of the collections...i still like the early days best...

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 10th, 2004 - 4:57 pm
great to have kit's voice back in the mix...

you can say that again soft :wink:

well, we are not missing the point here are we?
what my cat does not know, is that
Tom Ford is a very, very difficult person to work for as he’s very demanding,” “He’d give you so much responsibility and then at the last minute say he hated the whole collection and give you two days to change it."
and this is what makes the whole difference, attitude and manners...

the fact that he was not designing any collections is certainly no news :P

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats+Jun 10th, 2004 - 10:30 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PrinceOfCats @ Jun 10th, 2004 - 10:30 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mikeijames@Jun 10th, 2004 - 9:11 am
i thought it was obvious that tom ford expected the world out of the people he surrounded himself with since he himself had so little training/expertise.  (sort of the george dubya approach of surrounding yourself with good people) :unsure:
If I remember that interview last month right...Prada doesn't even draw her own designs ...would you say the same about her? :o [/b][/quote]
i think miuccia would be the first to admit that she expects a lot out of her design team...i strain to think of a big-name designer who does not. :flower:

what's funny to me is that when looking at mr. baileys personal style, he almost looks like a tom ford impersonator...

but :doh: Bailey is talented, plus he is a designer :innocent:

mmm...mikeijames...maybe you're just talking about the menswear...but in the womenswear i really don't see a comparison...and if anything...tom ford was just taqking credit for bailey's ideas when he worked at gucci...so it would be the other way around...wouldn't it...

lena...come on...did anyone really think that Miss Ford...DIVA that she is...would be anything but a b*tch to her employees...the queen bee often stings the drones who bring her food to survive ...you know... :wink:

but she IS charming when she buzzes about...isn't she... :P :wink:

:innocent:

...espeically the menswear (if i knew how to post two pics i would but:(

burberry s/s '04

Attachments

• 00036.jpg
    00036.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 6
erhhh, i dont find bitchy people charming ...
and i dont think it's a rule to be bitchy with your design team
when you reach TF status, to be honest i find it quite a stupid policy
for people to be arrogant with their team, its very bad news in the market...

ps: reasonably demanding is not the same as being difficult or impossible :P

:lol: of course they look alike if they've been designed by the same guy :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 10th, 2004 - 11:27 am
:lol: of course they look alike if they've been designed by the same guy :ninja:
exactly...bailey designed both looks...so of course they are similar... :P

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 10th, 2004 - 11:24 am
erhhh, i dont find bitchy people charming ...
and i dont think it's a rule to be bitchy with your design team
when you reach TF status, to be honest i find it quite a stupid policy
for people to be arrogant with their team, its very bad news in the market...

ps: reasonably demanding is not the same as being difficult or impossible :P
i just want to be sure that you knew i was very much joking with the queen bee stuff... :wink: :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honorata
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->