Balenciaga F/W 09.10 Paris

I really like the draped numbers, those are really beautiful I think. Excellent color schemes on those as well. The rest is not spectacular, but I still prefer this over SS 09. That collection was just too out there as far as I am concerned. Sure it had vision and it was groundbreaking and all that, but I didn't think it was very wearable, inspiring or easily translated to something sellable yet still having that same feeling of invention. This is just what it is: pretty clothes, with some interesting structures here and there and most of it will look good on actual people.

Am i the only one who saw Lanvin in this collection ?

Mmm...definitely not what I expected.
It really doesn't feel much Balenciaga. I agree that it feels a bit like Julian McDonald, probably the setting? I wonder what it would look like in the original show space.

The first part of the show with the satin pieces is really fabulous. I love the color palette. It looks really fresh. The construction of the look is great, strong shoulders, obi belts ,drappings around the knees, and each look is paired with golden bracelets. I believe that the draped dresses will look even better in motion. And the lace top is a fantastic touch to the whole look. My favorite one of this part is the one on Iris Strubegger.
However the second part is hideous. I hate those prints. The only thing that looks interesting is the second last dress in #36.

OMG, i've been waiting for this too!!! thank god he finally showed his fall collection. :smile:

indeed, this is truly FANTASTIC!!! STUNNING! i love the draped silk skirts and pants!!! just love it. and those printed dresses and coats, so beautiful. finally, nicolas g. has left (for now 'cause he might be inspired again) the futurism world for inspiration. :D :wink: and i agree also with what the others have said, the collection are so 80s! :smile: though i find the shoulders too balmain. :D

great job by NG!!! great job this 2009!!! :smile: viva balenciaga!

just to add, the collection are so wearable. :smile: something that you wouldn't mind to wear. :smile:

Who said the men's wear will be showed with the women's wear?
:(

Oh no.. I'm disappointed really :/
Hate the stockings&the prints.. The silk skirts look nice though!

OH no I am so disappointed not just with Balenciaga which I adore but with almost every show that has come down New York, London and Milan. And I think that recession fashion is the worst excuse for a lack of creativity I have seen in my life. I just think this is way to off the rack for Balenciaga no risks and S/S was stunning what happened. No stage presence either no lights no atmosphere. And it is a little to Lanvin for comfort (bad Lanvin at that) and this is coming from a die hard Balenciaga fan.

such a shame. It has compromise written all over it. I guess in these tough economic climate its either dumb down or get out.

As for the Lanvin comparisons , I don't think so it's something he has done before.

From last season...

baleaw080836.jpg

source: catwalking.com

I'm turned on by the fact that he was able to avoid the infamous shoulder and instead stay true to Balenciaga's arm. There is a modernism there, a sharpness and a slight tinge of melancholy that's always present. Even his casting looks eeriely appropriate and scrubbed down (wassup, Liya?!?) Yet Another Designer who has managed to successfully take YSL references under their wing and send it down the runway with all the modern angst of our times. Why, oh why can't this be considered another nail in the coffin for Mr. Pilati and his ability to do nothing but grin and bear it?

I like it. I'm not a Balenciaga lover (with the exception of the fabulous FW 07.08), but I find this utterly wearble, feminine, grown-up, sober, yet with a romantic hint. It will be so utterly everwhere for fall that by the time we will all be annoyed by it, if we aren't already right now.
But if we have to have the eighties, and it seems like they get shoved down our throats without regards to our complaints, I prefer having them like this.
I will wear dotted stockings and suede tied shoes without further ado come the cold days.
I'm curious, though...Does anyone know whether his light collection from this season is selling well?

you know... for alllllllllllllllllllll of the other threads that say every collection is "too Balenciaga" -- well, I wish THIS were more Balenciaga.

It's like you can see what he was going for, only it's clear he failed and in the end, this looks really cheap.

^ Dead on.

I think I hate it :(

The draping is all so heavy and overdone. I mean, those draped skirts and pants are bulky. Combined with the fact that they're silk satin they just look terrible and, it pains me to say it, cheap.

The only look that I had a truly positive reaction to was the white shirt/black skirt combo on Iris. To me that was the only thing that looked right in this collection, the rest of it looks retro. Great that he took inspiration from YSL, but did it have to be the mid-80s portion of his career that he took it from?

I think the worst part of it all is that this collection is made up entirely of things he's done before, bold prints, draping, strong shoulders, head to toe looks....but I don't think any of it is working well here.

Last edited by a moderator:
so true, Spike... I think the worst part is exactly that - that he's done this all before and done it well, so what gives? This looks worse each time I look to be honest.

tsk tsk Nicolas :o

G
OMG.you might be on to something............:shock: but Lanvin looks modern, this was old Balmain meets disco................:ninja:

Don't be so cute,:rolleyes:..just the fabric and the texture in the beginning ..
Sorry to be off the topic but please don't dignify Balmain:sick:..totally it's a dreadful dream from the bargain world ,which i would marvel at its improvement if it could be as "bad" as the Balenciaga this time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->