Balenciaga Haute Couture F/W 2024.25 Paris

Many people think that haute couture isn't relevant.
I was thinking about this too. I actually get the sense that it’s pretty relevant based on the fact that most of the shows this week were not that fantasy driven, no shows for the marketing spectacle. Of course that aspect is still present for sure, but I feel like customers for this do exist. Just wondering about the changing of the culture and the type of rich person that is consuming expensive clothing. Generations are changing. People who used to go to a charity events may’ve wanted a Lacroix gown, but now their brain rot kids are here and they live in a different society with different values. Different kinds of status they want to show off.

I was thinking about this too. I actually get the sense that it’s pretty relevant based on the fact that most of the shows this week were not that fantasy driven, no shows for the marketing spectacle. Of course that aspect is still present for sure, but I feel like customers for this do exist. Just wondering about the changing of the culture and the type of rich person that is consuming expensive clothing. Generations are changing. People who used to go to a charity events may’ve wanted a Lacroix gown, but now their brain rot kids are here and they live in a different society with different values. Different kinds of status they want to show off.
I think it's more irrelevant than ever growing up I used to watch couture shows and people would always ask is this relevant I think it was but not anymore. Case in point Versace spring show 1997 one of his last, it's a full collection through and through day wear cocktails evening pants everything we see less and less of that almost none. Because there's no customer base for it that woman is slowly disappearing. The younger Rich customers is not going to a charity benefit or to a grand ball or private party in Monte Carlo as far as I see it it's a losing game. Fun to watch tho. As the customers change the events must change and so must dressing. Things will be lighter less intense construction almost like high-end ready to wear.

Sad that real haute couture is disappearing. It's an artform in its own right and the insane amount of specialized people who become employed for this special craft will consequently also start disappearing. I find that truly disappointing. That being said, while I am more of a lefty and nowhere near a couture consumer (I adore seeing it from time to time, though), I absolutely support any form of art and craft that enriches culture and society. I truly believe that regardless of the economic system we live in, these are forms of art that are incredibly valuable for too many reasons to name.

While the world needs more simplicity due to our climate crisis, the consequence is that sadly everything is becoming more homogenous. I believe that this can be potentially a very dangerous thing. Fashion should truly offer dreams in every imaginable color.

Not sure if anyone cares but what I understood this "thing" was actually hand painted and it took over 100 hours to make. I like the fun fact that it includes some Balenciaga favorites like Eliza Douglas and Minttu Vesala.
AcXifCZd_o.jpg

That was one of the looks I was thinking about with the new generation of couture customers. To anyone else, this is just a t-shirt. Yeah it's hand painted but... who cares? You're still wearing an oversized band tee bottom line. What is the space you're spending 5 figures to wear this in?

That was one of the looks I was thinking about with the new generation of couture customers. To anyone else, this is just a t-shirt. Yeah it's hand painted but... who cares? You're still wearing an oversized band tee bottom line. What is the space you're spending 5 figures to wear this in?
I think it's mostly American heiresses and the Saudi princesses that buy the "real" couture from the houses like Chanel or Dior. Balenciaga RTW or HC is just for attention, they make their billions from baseball caps basically.

Also, some of that stuff like wasting 100 hours on a band t-shirt is only meant to keep the FHCM happy.

I think it's more irrelevant than ever growing up I used to watch couture shows and people would always ask is this relevant I think it was but not anymore. Case in point Versace spring show 1997 one of his last, it's a full collection through and through day wear cocktails evening pants everything we see less and less of that almost none. Because there's no customer base for it that woman is slowly disappearing. The younger Rich customers is not going to a charity benefit or to a grand ball or private party in Monte Carlo as far as I see it it's a losing game. Fun to watch tho. As the customers change the events must change and so must dressing. Things will be lighter less intense construction almost like high-end ready to wear.
Quite the opposite. Back in the day, the customer could have a whole wardrope of couture pieces. Day to evening. If there is a client disappearing, it's probably that one. Now, haute couture is reserved for grand occasions only. And the shows we saw reflect that.
I get what you're saying but I imagine back in the day, most people would not notice the difference either. In the 60's, couture was not so different from ready to wear. I mean the actual designs. I think the conception of couture design being very different from rtw clothing is quite recent, maybe as a form of survival. But if you observe men's tailors, they feel no need design-wise to make this abyss between what they do and rtw.

People have been saying Couture is dying since the day I got interested in fashion 20 years ago. It’s not going anywhere. It may suck currently, but it’s not gonna die.

What I do worry about is the workmanship losing some of the knowledge and the savoir faire as older generations in the trade retire and, most concerningly, with current designers not having the wherewithal to push or fully utilize their ateliers…

That was a huge disappointment. I couldn't care less about his rtw but couture seemed to be the last place where he still showed some effort. I think it's time to let him go but I also wonder if after such successful tenure Balenciaga won't become Gucci 2.0 with whoever they choose to succeed Demna. .

My angle was more in the line of suggesting haute couture not being culturally relevant. Not driving change in clothing, being influential to the larger cultural landscape. Nothing really looks new/novel either.

HC can look like insular navel gazing for rich people, a vapid distraction. Now I don't think that's the whole truth, there's plenty of value in craft and technique etc. And good for them, but I don't think the larger world needs to care that much.

As much I have enjoyed his work sometimes over the years, his time at Balencianga is overdue, everything looks so tired right now, he needs to rest his image and his asthetics (maybe test some new things at his brand) and come back. I can see him at Givenchy someday.

Besides that, boring collection.

Sorry guys, but Demna is the only modern designer these days. Why do you all have an urge to love everything that hasn’t moved on from the 1960s fashion?!?!

The problem is not him being modern, it's his version of modernity.

It's my personal taste but his 'irony bro' attitude is so off putting. It sucks out any joy of his designs.

Also I know it's a lost cause at this point, but if he chooses better models, had a more uplifting show, the impression we had of his fashion would greatly improve. For example, the first looks with the wide sleeves evoke a kimono/japanese aesthetic or classic 50's/60's couture but how can we focus on that when the models walk so stupid? When everything is made to piss you off, offend your senses? Our patience and indulgence are limited. Demna wants to be hated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->