Bill Cunningham New York

so unique movie, besides all the fashion pictures stuff, it´s the story of a great man, a simple human being, almost angelic. It didn´t strike me as lonely or sad, more like a monk, an ascetic life. Very very good film, simple but really good. No low punches, no frills just the story of a remarkable human being.

His appearance is very basic. Just pants and that blue jacket, very simple. but he likes to see fancy clothes :D
it's like Path McGrath. she's extremely great make-up artist. no one denied that. her job is amazing. but she herself, almost wears no make-up.

i agree with all of you, definitely the best film i saw, i watched it 3 times in the last 24 h.
i don't even have words to describe Bill, just an angel. :heart::heart: the most important man on earth.
i'm sad i can't buy the dvd, since it works just for the us players. it's region 1, i wanted to see the behind the scenes.:( and all the bonus stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's eligible to be nominated for the 2011 Oscars. It hasn't screened commercially in NY or LA, within the specified time periods. Crossing my fingers for 2012 though ^_^

:clap:
BCNY is on the Oscar shortlist!
15 Documentary Features Advance in 2011 Oscar® Race

Beverly Hills, CA (November 18, 2011) – The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 15 films in the Documentary Feature category will advance in the voting process for the 84th Academy Awards®. One hundred twenty-four pictures had originally qualified in the category.
The 15 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production company:
  • "Battle for Brooklyn" (RUMUR Inc.)
  • "Bill Cunningham New York" (First Thought Films)
  • "Buck" (Cedar Creek Productions)
  • "Hell and Back Again" (Roast Beef Productions Limited)
  • "If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front" (Marshall Curry Productions, LLC)
  • "Jane's Journey" (NEOS Film GmbH & Co. KG)
  • "The Loving Story" (Augusta Films)
  • "Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory" (@radical.media)
  • "Pina" (Neue Road Movies GmbH)
  • "Project Nim" (Red Box Films)
  • "Semper Fi: Always Faithful" (Tied to the Tracks Films, Inc.)
  • "Sing Your Song" (S2BN Belafonte Productions, LLC)
  • "Undefeated" (Spitfire Pictures)
  • "Under Fire: Journalists in Combat" (JUF Pictures, Inc.)
  • "We Were Here" (Weissman Projects, LLC)
The Documentary Branch Screening Committee viewed all the eligible documentaries for the preliminary round of voting. Documentary Branch members will now select the five nominees from among the 15 titles on the shortlist.
The 84th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 24, 2012, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2011 will be presented on Sunday, February 26, 2012, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.

^Hopefully it wins. Or at least gets nominated.

Just watched it. Such a heartwarming and yet heartbreaking at the same time movie. He seems to love what he does and does what he loves. He gave his life for his craft in a way because that's all he has. And it's so great seeing him get so giddy over it. He talks about these clothes, the pictures, etc with so much joy and passion. The two personal questions he was asked at the end were tough to sit through, especially when he broke down in tears over the question of religion. I don't want to go into it more, because I think it's quite clear what was said in those couple minutes.

Sorry I wasn't able to express my thoughts in a more clear and organized way, I'm still trying to digest the film. I don't doubt that some people may see the film and feel sad for Bill, because he gave up a 'normal' life to do what he does, or because ha maybe was not able to live an 'open' life, but I don't feel sad for him at all. First of all, what is 'normal'? His way of life is probably the most normal and natural to him and I don't know that he would trade his life for your regular Joe. Second of all, I applaud him for living his life the best he could and I do think he's honest and open with himself, even if he doesn't open himself up to everyone else.

I really enjoyed this film to the point that I'll be using it for a research project topic.
He is such an inspiring man who completely has devoted his life to his career and doing what makes him happy.
I love the way he lives such a simple life and doesn't change for anyone.
I sometimes wish I lived in the time where internet didn't exist and material goods weren't so important, for me, a lot of stress would be lifted.
Anyway, luck for BCNY it deserves a win.

The whole Carnegie hall situation made me angry/sad.

If he hasn't already, he should bring out a book with all of his articles published in it.
That would be on the top of my wishlist
(I know he published one late 70's on fashion and architecture but one solely for his articles would be fantastic)

I watched this last night on Netflix. It was interesting and inspiring. Definitely love that it's the clothes he takes photos of and not the celebrity.

Bill Cunningham: Words of Wisdom

Bill Cunningham, the inventor of street style photography and the original fashion blogger, is a man not only of images but of words. This video records his philosophy of life and gives the viewer an insight into beauty, how it is captured and ultimately lived.

Hope you enjoy.

Bill Cunningham Left Behind a Secret Memoir By MATTHEW SCHNEIERMARCH 21, 2018

The beloved fashion and society photographer Bill Cunningham, who worked for The New York Times for nearly 40 years, left behind an enormous archive valued at $1 million. He also, his family discovered with some surprise upon his death in 2016, left a written memoir.

For the devotees of Mr. Cunningham who faithfully followed or appeared in his “On the Street” column (“We all get dressed for Bill,” Anna Wintour has said), this discovery amounts to a major archaeological revelation.

“It seems so unexpected,” said Christopher Richards, an editor at Penguin Press who acquired the book at auction. “He really didn’t divulge anything about his life to his friends and his colleagues. He was so private. I think it was a shock.”

It is not clear when Mr. Cunningham wrote the memoir, which he called “Fashion Climbing” and left as a pair of clean typescripts, though multiple drafts of certain sections also found in the archive suggest he revised it.

The title is a reference to his early years ascending a fashion ladder invisible and disreputable to his stern Catholic family. On one page of the manuscript, he drew a little doodle of a young Bill ascending a ladder, and added a line attributed in the book to his mother: “What will the neighbors say?”

The book chronicles his dress-mad childhood, service in the Korean War (during which he decorated his helmet with flowers), a move to New York, success as the ladies milliner “William J.” and his beginnings as a journalist. It is also the poignant portrait of a boy growing up in a “lace-curtain Irish suburb of Boston” whose passions do not necessarily align with the expectations for him.

“It’s a crime families don’t understand how their children are oriented, and point them along their natural way,” Mr. Cunningham wrote in an early chapter. “My poor family was probably scared to death by all these crazy ideas I had, and so they fought my direction every inch of the way.”

About this familial disapproval Mr. Cunningham is blunt but not rancorous.

“There I was, 4 years old, decked out in my sister’s prettiest dress,” reads the memoir’s second sentence. “Women’s clothes were always much more stimulating to my imagination. That summer day, in 1933, as my back was pinned to the dining room wall, my eyes spattering tears all over the pink organdy full-skirted dress, my mother beat the hell out of me, and threatened every bone in my uninhibited body if I wore girls’ clothes again.”

Though Mr. Cunningham lived to see greater acceptance, he became modest and effacing in his self-presentation, usually wearing a French sanitation worker’s blue jacket and khakis to capture the more flamboyant citizens of New York. He submitted reluctantly to a 2010 documentary.

“It feels like he had internalized that reaction,” Mr. Richards said of the disapprovals of his childhood. “It’s speculation to think of why he decided not to publish this in his lifetime, but my assumption, having spent a lot of time with the text, is because though he really wanted to tell the story of this special period in his life, his education in creativity and style, at the same time he was worried how people were going to respond.”

But aside from some scenes of family discord, Mr. Cunningham’s memoir is a rosy account of an irrepressible dreamer who tripped his way from the stockroom of Boston’s newly opened Bonwit Teller to hat shops of his own in New York. He arrives in the city in November 1948 on opening night of the opera — then a tent pole of the New York social calendar — and stays long after the Social Register stopped being anyone’s bible.

Much of the material is new, even to his relatives. “Bill kept his family life in Boston and his work life in New York very separate,” wrote his niece Trish Simonson, in an email. “He told us stories over the years, but nothing that painted a full picture of what he did and how he came to do it. The drafts of the memoir we found, titled and edited and written in his own unmistakable voice, filled in a lot of blanks of how he made it from here to there, and what he thought along the way.”

There is some gossip, mostly decades old (the columnist Eugenia Sheppard does not come off very well), but little about Mr. Cunningham’s personal life, other than sly asides.

In a preface commissioned by Mr. Richards, Hilton Als, a writer for The New Yorker, remarks on the “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” flavor of Mr. Cunningham’s reminiscences. The photographer tells of subsisting in lean years on jars of Ovaltine, three spoonfuls a day, feasting on the sight of Madison Avenue shop windows instead.

In an industry where the right invitation is all, Mr. Cunningham didn’t wait for one, pedaling from street corner to show to benefit on the bicycle he had occasionally had to pawn when low on hatmaking supplies. “Gate-crashing was part of my self-education in fashion,” he wrote. When he boldly asks to rent a space for his first shop above Hattie Carnegie’s store, a saleswoman sends him to go see the proprietress — and gives him the address of the Bellevue mental hospital.

“Bill was a true original,” Mr. Richards said. “For me, this book is really for those of us who came to New York with a dream and saw New York City as a real oasis of creativity and freedom, a place to be who we want to be. It’s a really beautiful story about a young, artistic man finding his way in the city, in a particular kind of bohemian world that doesn’t quite exist anymore.”

Publication is planned for September — just in time for New York Fashion Week.
source | nytimes

Attachments

• 5AB17C18-F967-4981-AB5F-7239D3C7C305.jpg
    5AB17C18-F967-4981-AB5F-7239D3C7C305.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back