Black / African Hair Tips

i have met jews with very tightly curled hair. unless someone has 4a curls that are med/coarse in texture or 4b, 4c, etc--why couldn;t they go to a normal salon that does curly hair.

I could easily find numerous pics of white women with tight curls.

barose--- couldn't you get your hair done at a regular salon. I have met white people with that hair texture. also middle-easterners, north Africans have hair within that range--often curlier.

i met an italian woman the other day with tight tight curls.

If I find the right person, I could. Many people are afraid of my hair. Its probably the combination of the length, thickness and texture. My hair gets very tangled too. In my area, there are not many non-AAs with this type of hair. I have only met one Jewish lady with really tight curls and she just wore it out that way. Maybe if was on the east coast, I would have more options.

Most African American women either straighten it or lock it.

*bump*

was searching through & I can't believe a thread with all my hair needs was in hiding.

Since my last post, about 18 months ago, I chopped my straightened hair and got rid of chemicals! It's the 2nd time, I'm doing it. Last time, I was a teenager!

I work in a conservative environment (legal) so I expected some negativity but I only received positive reviews. I actually feel more confident now and so free from the routine of straightening. I love my natural hair. It's so soft, voluminous and curly.

Now, I have a question regarding the coming winter. Last winter my hair was really short so no real issue.

Since then, it has grown a lot, so I'm wondering what do you do to protect natural hair from the cold?

Also, I can't seem to find any decent beanie or hat that don't leave "fluff" in my afro AND is stylish.

Any tips?

Congratulations on your "big chop" :smile: It truly must be liberating! Sometimes I wish I could do it too, but my hair is getting to be really long, and I'm not ready to let go of that length yet.

Would you ever tie down your hair with a scarf or bonnet underneath your hat?

Hi guys. i started college in september and my hair was out (as in not in braids). This was a disaster. I really did not have the time to look after my hair properly so I put in braids. So yah, im rocking braids until mid-december.

I love braids but I look so childish with them lol.

I'm going to get a weave in january. does anyone have any tips in regards to maintaining the hairline with a partial weave (my front hair will be exposed)?

Since my last post, about 18 months ago, I chopped my straightened hair and got rid of chemicals! It's the 2nd time, I'm doing it. Last time, I was a teenager!

I work in a conservative environment (legal) so I expected some negativity but I only received positive reviews. I actually feel more confident now and so free from the routine of straightening. I love my natural hair. It's so soft, voluminous and curly.

Now, I have a question regarding the coming winter. Last winter my hair was really short so no real issue.

Since then, it has grown a lot, so I'm wondering what do you do to protect natural hair from the cold?

Also, I can't seem to find any decent beanie or hat that don't leave "fluff" in my afro AND is stylish.

Any tips?

Congratulations.

Would you ever tie down your hair with a scarf or bonnet underneath your hat?

Thanks. I thought about wearing a scarf under a hat but I'm not sure about its practicality.

Thanks. I thought about wearing a scarf under a hat but I'm not sure about its practicality.

Yeah, I'd personally be too lazy to keep up with that. Or explain to people why I have a scarf under my hat LOL I guess finding a hat with a satin lining would be a good idea.

Hi guys. i started college in september and my hair was out (as in not in braids). This was a disaster. I really did not have the time to look after my hair properly so I put in braids. So yah, im rocking braids until mid-december.

I'm going to get a weave in january. does anyone have any tips in regards to maintaining the hairline with a partial weave (my front hair will be exposed)?

Hmm, I've never had a weave before. But I guess my advice would be to keep your hair moisturized, and seal in the moisture with an oil (coconut, olive oil, etc.)

Heat and sealing like Chaka said, and also try to stay away from heat. I learnt the hard way, and have only just grown back to a nice length

I have some concerns about color.

I want to try something new.

Basically my hair is short and natural with a deep deep brown/black tone but have always had a few grey hair that are now becoming numerous due to my grand age! :lol:

My style is fairly classic so i's a big no to deep vibrant and "out of there" colors for me.

I was thinking more of some warmer shade of brown like mahogany but I'd like to have some feedback about coloring because though I've read the usual articles I'm a color virgin.

Any bad experience? Maintenance clues?

I was thinking about going to my professional hairdresser for a first time. I don't want to deal with the mess in my bathroom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->