Blanca Padilla

^She didn't open Ermanno Scervino actually. Nowfashion messed the order of the pictures and I got that wrong. And then it was too late to edit. Sorry.

I wish see the interview with her in english subs in Al Rincon :cry:

Translation provided by Ana from Bumsters tumblr ( http://bumsters.tumblr.com ). Thanks Ana! all credits go to Ana (http://bumsters.tumblr.com)

Blanca Padilla was interviewed for a Spanish TV show and she had some interesting things to say about Victoria’s Secret, the modeling industry and body image that I thought were worth sharing.
This is my best attempt to translate some parts. It’s really long, but if you’re into the modeling industry I think you should read it !

On when she was scouted –
I was only 18 when I was discovered and it was both the best and worst thing that’s ever happened to me. Sometimes I feel like my twenties have been taken away from me. This was very unexpected, and I should be having completely different experiences, that’s a fact. That has changed me as a person and I’ve grown up a lot in that sense, but it entails some things that I had to learn how to deal with that I wouldn’t have in other circumstances […] I had to make some sacrifices, like the direction I thought my life was going to have had changed completely but I know I’m incredibly blessed and I’m thankful. But sometimes I’d like to experience my twenties like everyone else.

On her family –
My parents were taken aback because it was a huge life change all of a sudden. In my family education has always been the top priority. My dad’s a very educated person and for him studying always comes first so for him it was hard when his little girl couldn’t keep studying her Marketing degree and left abroad. But I’m still studying online when I can.
And my mum is so protective, she likes taking care of me and my brother and the fact that I left home wasn’t easy for her. She went through a depression because of it, but she’s better now. I don’t want to be dramatic because I know I very lucky, but this is the part people don’t see.

On model apartments –
They’re terrible because everyone’s on their own and no one really cleans much, it’s a mess. They’re quite dirty, you wouldn’t even believe. The ones that actually clean leave post-it notes like ‘PLEASE, THIS ISN’T YOUR PLACE, CLEAN YOUR PART!’. Toilets are the worst part, it’s even worse because we’re all women and tend to use it more.

On VSFS 2014 –
I was up at 5am, but I went to bed at 1am so I didn’t sleep much, when I woke up was like I just time travelled and I had only slept two minutes. Then I went to the gym because call-time was at 6am and I had an hour to spare, and I thought I was the only crazy one who would be training, but a lot of other models were already there since 4am. So I wasn’t the first or the last. Then we went to the venue, and it’s always like this, they call you up 4 or 5 ours early and you have to wait, because we’re so many girl and they want everything to be perfect, it’s an incredible production.

On her VS walk and Taylor Swift –
You have to walk the runway twice. It was funny because Taylor Swift stepped right in front of me and, you know, you have to do your pose and it’s meant to be your big moment, but I couldn’t keep walking because she was there performing in front of me. I didn’t really know what to do until she stepped back. But the next time I had to walk I was a nervous because I was thinking I would screw up again (even though it wasn’t really my fault). I mean, they edit the show but if you screw up both times there isn’t much they can do. But the second time went perfectly fine, but I think they picked the part where I almost stepped on Taylor Swift for the video. They cut it, you can’t really see that I couldn’t keep walking.

On the moments before walking –
It’s like there’s something inside you that makes you believe it, believe in yourself. You can have the lowest self esteem in the world that in that moment you’ll feel really special. And once you’re done you realize it’s quite easy, it was honestly the easiest show I’ve ever walked. Everything is so well-rehearsed and you do it twice, you have two opportunities. It isn’t live, they record and edit it so if you fall doesn’t really matter because no one will ever know. It’s so ‘artificial’ it’s the easiest show I’ve ever walked.

Before and after VSFS –
The change wasn’t as huge as they told me. They promised too many things, and it’s true I’ve been more busy and booked for more jobs, but it wasn’t the crazy change they told me it would be.

On the other models –
I was expecting the worst because I was told it could be a bit hostile. The older models, the most experienced ones are the kindest because they know what it’s like to be the younger one, the rookie, and I think they have a different perspective from all the years of experience. The ones who’ve been working with them for, like, 4 years are the ones with the most diva-ish attitude. You find yourself staring at the older ones because obviously you admire them and they smile back at you. And the others, well, sometimes they gossip about you with their friend or laugh. But it’s nothing major, it’s probably what would be happening to me if I was at Uni, but at the VSFS.

On loneliness –
I feel very lonely sometimes. I spend so much time on my own, and some days are amazing but others are just terrible. I even started reading self-help books, and I think it’s something everyone should do. I’m happy, but I have so many ups and downs and I’m trying to change that because I don’t think it’s healthy at all. I wish I could balance it all. It’s mainly out of frustration, because I know that what I’m experiencing it’s so amazing I want to do my best to enjoy it, but it’s like I’m punishing myself, or something. Like I’m not allowing myself to feel things such as loneliness, even if this is wonderful. This is a huge problem in the industry which it affects us mentally. That’s why some models end up turning into alcohol or drugs like cocaine, like some girls can’t be on the runway without a glass of champagne or other beverages because that’s the way they deal with the pressure.

Why do you thing they book you instead of someone else? –
i’m not sure. Sometimes it’s about marketing, they have a black model, an asian model and they need someone who looks more latina. Or maybe other factors, I don’t really know. For Victoria’s Secret specifically, I think I worked really hard and I deserved it. All the girls have their personal trainer and stuff, but at the time I didn’t really have anything apart from some recommended workouts. But i had never properly worked out like that before or done a strict diet.

On models diets and her eating habits –
You’re responsible for your eating habits, your agency or brands can’t force you into anything. If something goes wrong you’ll be the one who loses, you might not get booked for certain jobs, but you can eat whatever you want. Like that rumor about Victoria’s Secret models eating cotton before the show, or not drinking any water.
I personally try to eat a variety of foods, but there’s one thing I want to say because there were some rumors about it how I only eat lettuce and stuff, but I literally ate my first salad around 4 months ago. But yes, I’ve had to make sacrifices on my eating habits, but always being responsible, because there’s always people who think I have an eating disorder.
All my life I had been trying to gain weight and I used to ask my mum for a special diet to gain weight because I had a complex for being too thin, I wanted to be like my friends who had an *** and boobs. So it’s a huge personal shock when you go to a casting and someone tells you you’re fat. I’ve been told I’m fat to my face.

On body image in the modeling industry –
Sometimes people don’t understand that it’s as offensive to criticize someone for being underweight as it is for being overweight, especially when your job revolves around your image. I always think that one of the most important this you have to learn in this society is to accept yourself, and that’s very hard. Normal people have a lot of issues with this, and it’s the same for models because we actually work with our body and physical appearance. That’s added pressure, because this job isn’t about liking yourself, is about being like your clients want. People at home probably think I’m being dramatic, but the only way to truly understand this is if you work in the industry.

On eating disorders –
I’m not going to lie and say they don’t exist within the industry. I don’t want to generalize, but I’ve heard a girl I used to live with puking in the toilet or once I was eating some peanuts and offered some to a girl who hadn’t eaten anything all day and she was like ‘alright, these will be my dinner’ and she had like four. I didn’t want to generalize because I know tons of models who are very healthy and work hard for their bodies, but this is a huge problem in this industry

On Gigi Hadid –
Have you seen what happened with Gigi? I agree with what she said but on the other hand I want equality for everyone. She doesn’t mention her name or situation at all. I don’t have a problem with the fact that you’re a curvy girl on the runway, I support that. But if it was me with your same measurements going to a casting they would send me home to lose weight. Most of us have to conform to extreme measurements because otherwise we won’t book any jobs while others have the privilege to say that designers love them despite their curves. Well then, why do they love you? Maybe your millions of followers on Instagram might have something to do with it as well

On social media –
It seems like they’re all that matters not and the stuff that actually matters doesn’t anymore. I do benefit from social media but I think their influence is too crazy now. There are models who are only booked because of how many followers they have only, and there are very valid models out there who aren’t booking many jobs because they don’t have social media, and they might be as valid, if not more, than some of the popular girls now. So everything is quite perplexing now, not fair for everyone and definitely not equal for everyone.

I hope this interview dont harm her image and she walk this year, cause the girl talk a lot:doh:

^That's true! My thoughts exactly.
I'm not a fan of Blanca, but I really liked her interview. She seems very honest but at the same time she seems very disappointed and it feels like she's not enjoying modeling, which is totally understandable.

^That's true! My thoughts exactly.
I'm not a fan of Blanca, but I really liked her interview. She seems very honest but at the same time she seems very disappointed and it feels like she's not enjoying modeling, which is totally understandable.

Same here and welcome to the "MODELS WORLD" Blanca :mrgreen:

I think the interview provides a great perspective on modelling that is not really discussed by models in such a public way. A lot of them like to kiss a** and tend to sound too PC at one point so for me at least, it was refreshing to hear a model's honest opinion on the industry she works in especially since it's become so focused on social media.

She hasn't said anything anybody else wasn't thinking or didn't know already so I don't think she'll get in deep trouble.

Well, we shall see.

I love her frankness. It makes me even more of a fan of hers. But I doubt Ed Razek will enjoy it ...

Mostly, I wanna speculate about the Angels who were rude to her. Haha. Very clearly not Ale or Alessandra or Doutzen.

Well, we shall see.

I love her frankness. It makes me even more of a fan of hers. But I doubt Ed Razek will enjoy it ...

Mostly, I wanna speculate about the Angels who were rude to her. Haha. Very clearly not Ale or Alessandra or Doutzen.

Maybe Candice? :lol:

love this girl and wish her the best, she seems so grounded. Her interview was incredibly frank and refreshing!

Not Lily too, I think may be Candice, Behati... But it could be some one that just Walk the show. The diva-ish attitude is Candice like :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
reading this made me cry a bit...it takes so much courage for her to do this. she is absolutely beautiful, i'd only wish i would look a tiny bit like her. honestly, i know its cliche but those other girls have to be jealous of her to be nasty like that.

it makes me so angry to see this treatment, no matter the fact we heard it before and we know about it, it is not right and nothing changes. she is clearly way too intelligent for this crap.

In the interview, she said it was the ones who've worked in the last 4 years are the more diva-ish so my guess would be some of the New Angels who've worked a lot for VS in the past few years: Elsa, Jac, Martha, Lais, even Stella (let's face it, she doesn't seem the friendliest of people ^_^).

She also posts a lot of pics with Lily so I don't think it's from her generation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSGTog
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->