Bob Richardson - Photographer

Wow, his work is quite interesting... He's Richardson's dad? :lol: Didn't see that coming.

Vogue (Italy) November 1997 - p.37 Escape ad, p.184 "Southhampton Beach" photos by Bob Richardson: 15 full-page b&w pictures plus one two-page all in mens clothing

millaj.com

Hmmm. Technical difficulties. The other images I posted didn't take, so here we go again! Testing testing 1... 2... 3...

millaj.com

:woot: Success! So here are the rest - same issue.

millaj.com

Last edited by a moderator:
1972 of Angelica Huston, his (Bob Richardson's) muse and girlfriend of the time, for Italian Vogue, posing with model Lipp Jens as her Nazi lover.

And here's something to look forward to: http://www.artbook.com/8889431938.html

Edited by Terry Richardson.

Fashion photographer Bob Richardson (1928-2005) first began to publish his powerful, transgressive and emotionally charged black-and-white images in the high-fashion press of the 1960s, highlighting the new freedoms and attendant disillusions of the era in a distinctive, maverick style that matched his own edgy way of life. According to Cathy Horyn of The New York Times, ""Mr. Richardson's pictures were radical because, more than showing youthful fashion in a liberated way, they sought to expose the life dramas that were then consuming young people."" They were dark and conflicted, abject and suggestive, fleeting, broken, knowing and yearning. Always a cult photographer (and widely credited with influencing such peers as Peter Lindbergh, Steven Meisel and Bruce Weber), Richardson was also plagued by schizophrenia, and he lived hard-experimenting freely with sex and drugs throughout a life of extreme highs and lows. For example, he is perhaps most famous for the profoundly compelling portraits he made of his then-partner and muse Angelica Houston in the 1970s, while the 1980s found him homeless and living on the streets of Los Angeles. This highly-anticipated, beautifully-produced volume is the first ever dedicated to Richardson's oeuvre. Put together by his son, the equally renowned photographer Terry Richardson, it collects what remains of the original work, much of which was destroyed over the course of Richardson's unpredictable career.

PUBLISHED BY: Damiani
FORMAT: Hardcover, 9.5 x 13 in. / 352 pgs./ 200 duotone.
ISBN: 8889431938 ISBN13: 9788889431931
PUBLICATION DATE: 09/01/2007 (That's 1 September 2007)

fashionologie.com . artbook.com

Thanks for posting the Milla Jovovich set, SomethingElse!
All that androgyny... I'd have a serious crush on her if she were a boy (with a little less feminine features). :wub:

nytimes
August 26, 2007
The Remix
Capturing Bob: A Family Affair

26bob-600.jpg

Tony Cenicola/The New York Times

By ALEX HAWGOOD

The only person in fashion more wonderfully deranged than the outlaw photographer Terry Richardson was, not surprisingly, his father. Throughout the 1960s and ’70s, Bob Richardson’s highly charged blackand-white images brought somber emotion to the glossy but sometimes sterile world of fashion. Much of Richardson’s oeuvre was destroyed during his erratic career, which was marked by mental illness and homelessness. The first comprehensive overview of his work is being published this fall, including his unfinished autobiography. Edited by his son, “Bob Richardson” (Grafiche Damiani) features a wide range of his best work, like his daring assignments for Harper’s Bazaar — one infamous piece featured the model Donna Mitchel in tears — and early portraits of Anjelica Huston, then his girlfriend. “I am not ashamed of anything,” he said in 2002, three years before his death at the age of 77. “I have no secrets. I am free.”

Bob Richardson-Photographer

Anyone have any links to his work? I've heard alot about it, how it was a contrast to the prim fashion shoots of the 60's and 70's. I know there was a book put out recently about him, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I am eager to see more of his work too...
Someone somewhere posted scans from his book and I found them very intriguing.

the book is actually pretty good, imo.

12bob.2.650.jpg

nytimes

75324e9c2639d1738c9e4cc14c9b38cb.jpg

3c9e6dda110f423798795020a3c38132.jpg

4d64c18905c8a0c0e9fd05bb05bd716d.jpg

f7f54cf2628324ffa8feac7c8504b851.jpg

75f23c07c02d98f1340ec341540e69b0.jpg

f44f60e9d8f4651707e9654aa50d311f.jpg

damianieditore.com

anjelica-1.jpg

ilovecatparty.blogspot.com

wow, his work is beautiful! i'd never heard of him before though..

***** Merged with Existing thread ****

These photos of Anjelica Huston by Bob Richardson were published in Another Mag S/S 2008.

a02wx3.jpg

a03bc0.jpg

a04yd9.jpg

This picture didn't credit the photographer but it looks a bit like Bob's...
I could be wrong.

anothermag.com

A few paragraphs on Bob Richardson in her article...

by Tim Blanks

After her parents split, Huston remained in London with her mother, and the schism with her father was amplified when Soma died in a car crash in 1969, and she fled to New York. "Before I knew it, I'd taken up with a 42-year-old man, who was not only a good deal older than I was, but also had tremendous mental problems, beyond anything I'd had experience of." That man was the photographer Bob Richardson and, instead of the safe harbour she was seeking, Huston found herself, at 18, the carer. "I didn't know the ashtrays were talking to him at the time, but he was tremendously schizophrenic and there would be days when he would wake up and the world was worthless and everything in it, and I would think it was my fault, the way that one does when one is being blamed for everything."

Richardson had been back from Paris for a year, opened a studio in New York and was in the process of leaving his wife when he met Huston. (She doesn't believe she caused the split. At least, Bob never said anything like that to her.) He'd also come under the care of a doctor named Max Jacobson, the Dr Feelgood whose shots of methamphetamine and vitamins kept Manhattan's beau monde humming. "I remember the first time we met, it was my first sitting with Bob, for Harper's Bazaar. He picked me up in one of those little Mini cars with his big poodle in the back and we raced off to Jones Beach, where he sort of hypnotised me. He had me crying and reaching for the sun. It was very powerful. I followed his directions very precisely; he was intrigued because I was malleable, and he liked working with me."

Getting his models to cry was something of a Richardson signature. It was a way to drag those cool, perfect beauties off their pedestals and make them fragile, emotional flesh and blood. "He created stories around these women and of course the stories were always him," says Huston. "The photographs were always about him." Anyone curious about those stories should look at the recent definitive monograph of Richardson's collected work, overseen by his son Terry. There is Donna Mitchell, weeping on the rocks in Greece (the image that sparked a revolution in fashion photography). And, of course, there's a lot of Huston, belying her years, breathtakingly beautiful but also haunted and stretched to the limit. She still finds them painful to look at.

But what a photographer! And, in Huston, Richardson found an ideal vehicle. "The pictures that I thought were particularly brilliant were the ones where he was sent off on his own without an art director or editor looking over his shoulder, and he had that freedom," she says. "Often they were really radical, the more radical the better. We did an Irish series for French Vogue in the 1970s that had me lying in the road with blood pouring out of my mouth and a rifle in my hand. We did Visconti's The Damned for Italian Vogue, out there in the train station in Rome with all these older Italian women looking like they wanted to stone us and screaming 'Puta!' at me. It was very dangerous for the time, but it was fun, like doing little plays."

The relationship lasted four years, and inevitably, while there were dark, desperate and helpless days, there were plenty of good times too. Huston was reminded of this when she ran into make-up artist Serge Lutens six years ago, just before Richardson died. "I remarked on what a desperately sad time it was, what a sad man Bob was. 'I never thought it was such a sad time,' said Lutens. 'We did beautiful work.'"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->