Bob Richardson - Photographer

Such an amazing photographer, I really want his autobiography too! Here's some quotes from it via http://www.luxirare.com/2009/01/in-world-there-are-dreamers-and.html

• One morning in the early 50s I woke up in the psycho ward at Bellevue Hospital. My stomach had been pumped of big amounts of barbiturates. I had only vague a memory of swallowing them. This was the first of four suicide attempts. It takes courage to live, and courage to die. I was in limbo.
  • The nuns told us that if we were good we would go to heaven. If we were bad we would burn in hell—having lived for a year on every street in hell, the nuns were wrong—fire is so fast, suffering can last a lifetime. The way to teach children is to tell them the truth period. Why do nuns want to live with other women and not with men? Why don't they want their own children, one wonders—what are their secrets? Everyone has secrets.
  • Had to meet Charles Revson at Revlon—after looking at my photographs he said, I'm told you're a genius but I don't see it. I replied, Get your eyes examined –slammed the door behind me. Six months later I shot an ad on Lauren Hutton.
  • Sexual desire torments us everyday—organized religions insult our intelligence—it took me years to forget what the church taught—people believe in the myth of immaculate conception—an egg without sperm to fertilize it—when that story was written people believed the earth was flat. Is there any difference between a drug maker and a drug dealer?
  • When people say you are not alone, that's another lie. You are locked inside your own head—you are alone—and you will have to save yourself—you have to use courage to ignore that kind of well meaning lie.
  • My son Terry was photographing for W magazine. He had an exhibit at the Soho gallery of wonderful portraits of punk rock girls taken in the east village bars. One of the girls had a swastika on her knickers. The punk and the skinheads loved nazi symbols—the ladies at W dropped him and called him an anti semite—once again showing their ignorance and disregarding the fact that Terry is half jewish—How do these broads get their jobs?
  • Too bad anger is part of love. If you are passionate, you are not going to have easy relationships. If someone hides their dark side you do not know them.. If you cannot live with the truth about yourself, you have nothing to give.
  • The only way to survive in the 21st century is to be above it all---way above.
  • The bigger they are, the harder they fall. This old chestnut theory applies to the fashion and entertainment gangs. It is not wise to allow people to put you on a pedestal. Think of all the mighty in ny and holywood who have almost made that mistake. The fashion magazines almost always fire editors, usually in a vicious low class way. In Hollywood they destroy careers in order to protect their own. Fear and intimidation run both industries. A wh*re in prada is still a wh*re.
  • Flipping through fashion magazines in the supermarket is sad. What I see is copying and stealing. Terry worries me--he seems too secure. He confuses money with success. Quitting at the top terrifies him. He seems oblivious to the idea that a young photographer who is shallow enough to crave fame and money might be behind him waiting for him to become passe.
  • You can belong to the herd where there is safety in lockstep—or you can be an independent. Wild and free and always in danger—which one are you?
  • When interviewed on French television before her death, Chanel said that American fashion editors were sows. Will Karl Lagerfeld make more money behind the genius of Chanel than Chanel made?
  • The fastest way to push a man away is to surrender to jealous rages.
  • If you think for yourself, if you are special, you never join a party, a gang or a clique or a group. You go at it alone. In all of the arts there is an in crowd—before long they join the out-crowd; great and small f*** em all.
  • Anyone with a secret lives in fear. I don't give a f*** what anyone thinks of me—I KNOW that possessing a god given talent puts me ahead of those whose lives are spent inside their own cash register. Making beauty with one's hands and imagination cannot be trumped. What the hell would I do with a lot of money? Give it away that would be the only answer.
  • He never said, I love you. It was weakness in me to want to hear that—actions speak louder than words—I salute you dad.

3455283793_ebe023d772_o.jpg

Sorry if this is a repost, but this obituary about his father was fascinating.
Scanned by luxirare from luxirare.com.

^That's one of my favourite pictures ever :heart:

I've been trying to find it in hight quality, I want it on my walls!

Any help ? :flower:

Anjelica Huston by Richardson from Vogue Italia 1971. Scanned by me.

Attachments

• vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson1sm.jpg
    vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson1sm.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 21
  • vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson2sm.jpg
    vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson2sm.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 17
  • vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson3sm.jpg
    vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson3sm.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 15
  • vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson4sm.jpg
    vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson4sm.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 16
  • vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson6sm.jpg
    vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson6sm.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 19
  • vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson5sm.jpg
    vogue_italia_june_1971__richardson5sm.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 19
These are some of my favourites...Vogue Paris 1971 as well :heart: scanned by me

Attachments

• vogue_paris_april_1971_bob_richardson_1.jpg
    vogue_paris_april_1971_bob_richardson_1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 25
  • vogue_paris_april_1971_bob_richardson_2.jpg
    vogue_paris_april_1971_bob_richardson_2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 32
Ah does anyone have any more of his Anjelica Huston shots?

I am obsessed with them! You can see how in love he was with her through his lens... It reminds me of when Mark Borthwick shot Maria Cornejo. Maybe thats the key to a decent portrait, having a lover take the picture!

Hmmm. Technical difficulties. The other images I posted didn't take, so here we go again! Testing testing 1... 2... 3...

millaj.com

is the guy in glasses Mario Sorrenti????? :ninja:

anyway, i have read articles about his 'Greek photo of a woman crying' but i cant seem to find it :( the descriptions of the photo sounded amazing..

and i wish i could see the full set of the 'Nazi' editorial :D

Donna Mitchell by Bob Richardson in 1965.

Attachments

• american_bazaar_1965_march_richardson1.jpg
    american_bazaar_1965_march_richardson1.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 16
hello everyone;
First post here so go easy one me!....Love Bob Richardson's black and white photos. And call me old fashion but I like his (pre-sex, more pregnant feeling pictures) stuff better than Terry Richardson's diarist/documentary highly sexualized type pictures...

Vogue Paris March 1968: Marie Leforet by Bob Richardson

ciaovogue

US Vogue March 1977

Lingerie Report: The New Un-Dressing
Photo Bob Richardson Models Yasmine Sokal & Shelley Smith Hair Edward Tricomi & Christiaan Makeup Ariella

My scans

US Vogue November 1976

What To Wear At Night...Depending
Photo Bob Richardson Models Lisa Taylor, Patti Hansen, Chris O'Connor, Tony Spinelli & Unknown Hair Harry King Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Vogue November 1976

Vogue Patterns: Instant Refreshers to Sew Yourself
Photo Bob Richardson Models Beverly Johnson & Karen Bjornson Hair Howard Fugler Makeup Joey Mills

My scans

US Harper's Bazaar June 1974
Anna Hitchcock Fashions For The Country Life
Photographer: Bob Richardson
Model: Anna Hitchcock
Hair & Makeup: Benjamin Moss

myfdb.com via gilsa0870

US Harper's Bazaar October 1974

Beautifully Natural Hair
Photo Bob Richardson Models Unknowns Hair Maury Hopson, James Reda & Pascal Makeup Mary Napolitano & Sandy of Kenneth

My scans

US Vogue May 1979

A Mutual Attraction
Photo Bob Richardson Models Iman, Nancy Donahue & Unknown Hair Bob Fink Makeup George Newell & Alberto Fava

Scans by kelles

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->