Calorie Shock at the Counter

Organic

Reaction score
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9402E0DD1631F935A35751C1A9609C8B63

New York City's first-in-the-nation order to ban trans fats from all city restaurants has received wide attention. But the most important health dividends might well come from a less prominent measure that was also approved by the city's Board of Health yesterday: a requirement that fast-food restaurants post the calories in their offerings in large type and in readily visible positions. The likely shock when patrons realize just how many calories they are imbibing with their oversized burgers and fries or richly sweetened coffees may provide just the right impetus to propel overweight customers toward a healthier diet.
The calorie posting requirement applies to all restaurants that have standardized menus and already list the calorie content of their menu items publicly, often on a Web site or brochure or even in the restaurant itself, although not very prominently. These restaurants, which include virtually all of the well-known fast-food chains, will soon be required to post the caloric content of each item on menus and on menu boards, in type every bit as large as the name or price of the item.
We can already savor the astonishment of consumers who find that they are squandering a huge chunk of their daily caloric allowance (roughly 2,000 or so calories for a standard adult) on a single item or meal. How many consumers realize that a venti Caffè Mocha with breve milk and whipped cream at Starbucks punishes them with 770 calories, a third of their daily quota. And how many Burger King customers realize that a single meal consisting of a triple Whopper with cheese, a king-size Coke and a large order of fries rings in at 2,120 calories, their whole daily allowance?
The phasing out of trans fats from all city restaurants, not just fast-food chains, won't do much about the obesity epidemic but it could save people from heart attacks and death if administered properly. The chief qualm is whether the city's eateries will simply substitute saturated fats, which also raise the risk of heart disease. City health officials have extended the deadlines for compliance and believe there will be ample supplies of heart-healthy oils. They will need to monitor the restaurants closely to make sure the new rules don't backfire.

I'm happy with this decision, yet sad at the same time... While I don't eat fast food, I do enjoy Starbucks, and now I'm afraid that once I see the calories right there in front of me, I'm not going to want anything from there anymore. Maybe that's not such a bad thing though... hehe.

I don't know if any of you have seen supersize me, but in the film they go around and ask people in NYC what calories are, and nobody knew. I was really shocked. People are so afraid of 'calories' and yet most people can't even define the word yet alone understand the impact on their bodies.

misssakura said:
I don't know if any of you have seen supersize me, but in the film they go around and ask people in NYC what calories are, and nobody knew. I was really shocked. People are so afraid of 'calories' and yet most people can't even define the word yet alone understand the impact on their bodies.

I'm sure for every person that didn't know and was shown in the film, there were 20 people who did. :wink:

you'd be amazed. SO many seemingly smart, educated people. have zero idea how truly bad for you certain foods are, or how caloric other foods can be.

TheKiwi said:
I'm sure for every person that didn't know and was shown in the film, there were 20 people who did. :wink:

I don't personally know many people who understand nutrition. There are some who couldn't even define a calorie, others who think that consuming ANY calories is BAD because a Calorie is something that makes you put on weight and should be avoided! I'm really..really not kidding. Calorie has become this 'it' word and has been linked to diets so a lot of people assume that it's an evil heart clogging weight inducing beast. :lol:

It's a good idea. But when I want fast food as a treat for myself, I don't want to be made to feel guilty about it.

__neversummer said:
It's a good idea. But when I want fast food as a treat for myself, I don't want to be made to feel guilty about it.

That's how I feel too about my Starbucks. :blush:

I think America is just way too obsessed with food... Most of Europe doesn't need nutritional information on their foods. Perhaps that's because they don't have so many overly processed foods, but still. Maybe if people just focused more on exercise and eating when they are hungry and stopping when they're full, as well as eating a well balanced diet, we wouldn't have this problem. :innocent: It's America's obsession with food and counting calories that leads to so many unhealthy people in my opinion.

I hope this didn't go against any forum rules... Please feel free to edit this post if so.

TheKiwi said:
That's how I feel too about my Starbucks. :blush:

I think America is just way too obsessed with food... Most of Europe doesn't need nutritional information on their foods. Perhaps that's because they don't have so many overly processed foods, but still. Maybe if people just focused more on exercise and eating when they are hungry and stopping when they're full, as well as eating a well balanced diet, we wouldn't have this problem. :innocent: It's America's obsession with food and counting calories that leads to so many unhealthy people in my opinion.

I hope this didn't go against any forum rules... Please feel free to edit this post if so.

I completely agree with what you're saying. It's about balance not self imposed insane restrictions. I really think that americans have the wrong idea about diet. It's always about weight not being healthy. Should you eat french fries everyday but is it ok to eat sometimes? yes.

I think it's fabulous that transfats are banned, but I find it a bit distasteful to have the caloric value next to every item on the menu...

People are way to obsessed about calories already, and if you know about basic nutrition you know that whipped cream is a pretty rich food... You don't need to have it spelled out right in front of you.

TheKiwi said:
I think America is just way too obsessed with food... Most of Europe doesn't need nutritional information on their foods.
Where'd you hear that? Labeling of nutrition facts is required by law in most of Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
shallow_waters said:
Where'd you hear that? Labeling of nutrition facts is required by law in most of Europe.

I've been back to Europe like 3 times since I used to live there in the early to mid 90's and didn't notice nutritional information on most products... I could totally be wrong though. I didn't think it was a law in most European countries.

I know of the values, knowing that it's on the high side at Starbucks, so if I have a quiche in the morning I'll avoid Starbucks, and if I get Starbucks that becomes my lunch.

I dont buy anything in the supermarket (fruits and veg excluded) without nutritional information clearly displayed. Keeping a track of cals is really the way to go.

TheKiwi said:
I've been back to Europe like 3 times since I used to live there in the early to mid 90's and didn't notice nutritional information on most products... I could totally be wrong though. I didn't think it was a law in most European countries.

I know last time I went to Quick (European McDonald's, for those who aren't familiar with it) I noticed they'd put nutritional values label on every carton containing burgers, fries and drinks, along with information on the amount of calories that children and adults should consume each day.

I never noticed that before, but then again I rarely have fast food and Quick's is the only case I know (at least in Belgium) of fast food restaurants becoming more conscious about nutrition. I haven't lived in Europe for that long either, so correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like a relatively new thing here too.

where i live, McDonalds has each meal's calories printed on the back of the paper they put on the tray they give you. they have been doing it for over a year. i think it's one of the few (if not the only) fast food chain that offers that kind of information.

i think it's really important that peope know how many calories they're consuming, but like tott said, there're already too many people obsessed with calories. to me it's not about the number of calories you eat, but to be concious about what you're eating.

solg said:
to me it's not about the number of calories you eat, but to be concious about what you're eating.

Yes, I totally agree. Calories are not the enemy! It's what KIND of food it is that has those calories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jstncze
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->