Capucine

Aretha

Reaction score
From Wikipedia:
"Capucine (6 January 193117 March 1990) was a French actress and fashion model best known for her role as Simone Clouseau in the 1963 comedy The Pink Panther. Born Germaine Lefebvre in Saint-Raphaël (Var), she soon exhibited an independent, non-conformist personality. She attended school in France and received a B.A. in foreign languages. At 17, while riding in a carriage in Paris, a commercial photographer noticed her. She quickly became a successful fashion model, working for fashion houses Givenchy and Christian Dior. She also adopted a new moniker, Capucine (French for nasturtium). During this time, Capucine met future actress Audrey Hepburn. Both were modeling in Paris, and the two would remain friends for the rest of Capucine's life. A manic-depressive, Capucine's life had on several occasions been saved by Audrey (both women lived at the time in Switzerland) after repeated suicide attempts.

At 18, Capucine made her film debut in the French film Rendez-vous de Juillet. On the set of Rendez-vous, she met Pierre Trabaud. The two married the following year. The marriage lasted only six months, and Capucine would never marry again. In 1957, film producer Charles K. Feldman spotted Capucine while modeling in New York City. Feldman brought her to Hollywood to learn English and to study acting under Gregory Ratoff. She was signed to a contract with Columbia Pictures and in 1958 landed her first English-speaking role in the film Song Without An End. For the next few years, Capucine would go on to make six more major motion pictures before moving to Switzerland in 1962. She continued making films in Europe until her death.
Capucine met actor William Holden in the mid 1960s. Both starred in the films The Lion and The 7th Dawn. Despite the fact that Holden was married to actress Brenda Marshall, the two began a two-year affair. After it ended, she and Holden remained friends until Holden's death in 1981. Capucine, who was bisexual, was also a close friend of actor Dirk Bogarde.
Capucine suffered from bipolar disorder throughout her life and attempted suicide several times. In 1990, at the age of 62, she committed suicide in Lausanne, Switzerland, by jumping from her eighth-floor apartment. Her obituary in the New York Times stated that her only known survivors were her three cats."

She was very elegant and I didn't find a thread about her so I have to started one!

(Source: Swingin' chicks from the 60's)
capucinelips.jpg
capucineolder.jpg

From Corbis
RZ001728.jpg
RZ001976.jpg
RZ002360.jpg
JS1561717.jpg
HU054385.jpg
JS1561716.jpg

I heard that Dirk Bogarde and her were actually more than friends.

I find her sexy.

Thanks for the pictures. :smile:

Yes, and she was more than a friend of William Holden :smile:

I also love her look. She was a very glamorous woman.

Source: groups.msn.com/MiniMadMod60s

Last edited by a moderator:
She was the absolute epitome of the chic comedienne. No one really came close in terms of sheer comedy and style. ^_^ :flower:

Relaxing in New York in March of 1964:flower:. Photo Source:AP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->