Careers nowadays - new ways of applying to jobs

Nosaceli

Reaction score
I am actively looking for a new job, as a fashion designer. Looking for a fashion designer job has always been a struggle, because open positions don't get posted, the quick way is knowing someone to get in touch with.

But hey, this is XXI th century, so I thought of Linkedin, being a platform where you can directly contact the right people, even if you don't know them.

Some years ago, I remember that, with Linkedin premium, you could directly private-message people you were not connected to (recruiters, etc). Today, I discovered that, even as a premium, which means paying 26 €/month, you're limited to 5 InMail; (good?) news is that, if you want more inMails, you can buy them at €10 each!! :shock:

Now I'm left here, 26 € poorer and thinking about how to use efficiently my only 5 InMail.

Do you guys think is better to e-mail Brand's Design Directors directly? or are the Human Resources in the huge maisons (Chanel, Dior) who look at "fashion designer" candidacies? I'm a bit lost.

I don't know that part of the fashion biz, but I would be willing to bet that just sending a resume/CV to them would probably not get a response. Most likely the Design Director would just pass it along to HR to review.

However, if you were to approach a person like this with something that is not about a job, but something more personal and of interest to them. I am thinking perhaps an intelligent question about some of their work, or a congrats because "I saw a mention of your recent success in ...." comment or asking for advice. Of course this requires a lot of homework on your part to follow the Director's career. This sort of thing might get their attention and you might be able to start a conversation with them.

Just an idea to consider. My husband has uses this technique a lot in his career where he must contact and get appointments with high end and very busy executives ... and it sometimes works for him.

I don't know that part of the fashion biz, but I would be willing to bet that just sending a resume/CV to them would probably not get a response. Most likely the Design Director would just pass it along to HR to review.

However, if you were to approach a person like this with something that is not about a job, but something more personal and of interest to them. I am thinking perhaps an intelligent question about some of their work, or a congrats because "I saw a mention of your recent success in ...." comment or asking for advice. Of course this requires a lot of homework on your part to follow the Director's career. This sort of thing might get their attention and you might be able to start a conversation with them.

Just an idea to consider. My husband has uses this technique a lot in his career where he must contact and get appointments with high end and very busy executives ... and it sometimes works for him.

thanks a lot:flower::flower::flower::flower::flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->