Networking and Other Unusual Ways to find Employment in Fashion?

FrenchCactus

Vogue Paris Intern
Reaction score
I've done my marketing internships exclusively in the luxury industry and graduated from a business school at the beginning of the year. Corporate job offers in the luxury/fashion industry are pretty scarce, and a career adviser from my school told me I'd better rely on networking to find a job, which means looking up names of alumni who work in the companies I'm interested in, calling them and setting a meeting, etc.

Has anyone used this method to find a job? Is it effective?
I've been advised not to say I'm looking for a job when I introduce myself and not to use it as the reason I want to meet people. But what should you tell people when you call them then?

I"ve heard that the "interview" thing works well.

By that I mean you say you are a new grad and a fellow alumnus and are researching for your career and/or the job market and want to interview them. You don't lie and say it's for a paper or anything ... you tell them that you are just doing research for your own knowledge. So, you wouldn't say that you want them to help you find a job. But you could say that you are reseaching various companies to determine where to start you career and would like to pick their brain about their company. Or, if they have a job that you aspire to, you can say you would like to hear how they made it. It's very flattering and most people love to talk about themselves.

You could gain a friend who might help you, either now or later in your career, so once the relationship is established, stay in touch, invite him/her to lunch now and then, keep abreast of their career and send congratulatory notes ... and keep it up. You never know when a friend will remember you when there is an opportunity.

At the very least, if they do invite you to pick their brain, you might learn something that would help you in your job search. And, at the best, they might like you and direct you to some openings and maybe even with a recommendation.

How about alumni associations? I have friends who are active in those and seem to think that is worth while, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply!
I'm lucky I come from a good school, so the alumni association is really good. I'm just a little nervous about the process TBH because it feels unusual and I've never done this before. But if I can't get a job simply by relying on job offers, I guess it's the only way.

Unsolicited Portfolios as Job Apps?

Hello! I'm new here so please forgive me if this topic is in the wrong category. I'm a Senior Illustration major at MICA in Baltimore, MD. My senior thesis is taking tribal African women and putting them in a Western fashion editorial setting (sort of). My professor suggested I take the Lifestyles class we offer (and I will) but she also suggested that I self-publish tiny books of my thesis and send it to designers. Originally, the point of my thesis was to get me hired at a magazine but this is another avenue I hadn't considered.

Have any of you done something like this? Did it work? Any input is appreciated!!!

A small sampling of my Thesis is here! : http://brittanyhollowaybrown.com

Re: Unsolicited Portfolios as Job Apps?

^ I'm curious as well if that'll work.

It's pretty much like cold calling which usually doesn't work very well. However, it might run across the field of vision of the right person at the right time, so you never know.

Although, convincing traditionally visual people to read something may be a stretch.

I don't think the people at design houses are used to getting that sort of thing, so that might work in your favor.

I'm completely for informational interviews - unsolicited portfolios I'd say no way. It's better to meet someone through an informational interview and then ask them to show them your portfolio.

But that's just me. When I get unsolicited resumes or portfolios, unless they're really stand-out (and so far - none), I usually ignore them. Many people think their resumes or portfolios are really amazing, but unfortunately most of the time this isn't the case.

I'm completely for informational interviews - unsolicited portfolios I'd say no way. It's better to meet someone through an informational interview and then ask them to show them your portfolio.

But that's just me. When I get unsolicited resumes or portfolios, unless they're really stand-out (and so far - none), I usually ignore them. Many people think their resumes or portfolios are really amazing, but unfortunately most of the time this isn't the case.

Hmm, the only reason I asked is because a bunch of people I know have gotten jobs this way. Could I be rude and ask what you do/where you work?

Hello! I'm new here so please forgive me if this topic is in the wrong category. I'm a Senior Illustration major at MICA in Baltimore, MD. My senior thesis is taking tribal African women and putting them in a Western fashion editorial setting (sort of). My professor suggested I take the Lifestyles class we offer (and I will) but she also suggested that I self-publish tiny books of my thesis and send it to designers. Originally, the point of my thesis was to get me hired at a magazine but this is another avenue I hadn't considered.

Have any of you done something like this? Did it work? Any input is appreciated!!!

A small sampling of my Thesis is here! : http://brittanyhollowaybrown.com

If you don't mind a small sword of advice... a lot of people do not like nudity, or could get in trouble for viewing nudity at work. It is generally considered good etiquette to write a small warning, especially if you are dropping an unsolicited portfolio.

Also, don't forget to join the professional networking site (LinkedIn, Plaxo, HauteNet, etc.). LinkedIn has many groups for alumni, so if you are in the same alumni group as they are, then they may notice you from that.

Ive gotten jobs through my blog. Usually freelance gigs or short term employment gigs, nothing long term.

I've done my marketing internships exclusively in the luxury industry and graduated from a business school at the beginning of the year. Corporate job offers in the luxury/fashion industry are pretty scarce, and a career adviser from my school told me I'd better rely on networking to find a job, which means looking up names of alumni who work in the companies I'm interested in, calling them and setting a meeting, etc.

I've been advised not to say I'm looking for a job when I introduce myself and not to use it as the reason I want to meet people. But what should you tell people when you call them then?

Now that I see you're a French Vogue Intern.. may I ask how finally did you get it? If that's not too invasive :flower:

I also second the informational interview method.

May I ask how you landed some of your previous marketing internships? I'm extremely interested in marketing in the luxury industry, in particular, and have been looking for advice or tips that could possibly lead to my getting a foot in that door. I'm interested in your experience getting there, in particular. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->