Carter Kustera- Painter/Illustrator

cutxpaste

barack the vote
Reaction score
[I]lyonswiergallery.com[/I] said:
Fabulous Anger, a new series of works on paper by Carter Kustera, is Kustera’s first solo exhibition in New York in more than a decade.

At once poignant and witty, Fabulous Anger is a provocative body of work that explores the commodification of violence by combining image and text in a format familiar to advertising. Through his politicization of the fashion layout Kustera takes a critical look at the way violence is presented through the media and questions our threshold for its acceptable presentation.

Kustera’s previous work has been included in many influential international exhibitions including two Venice Biennales. Additionally his signature artwork has been featured as illustration (for Progressive Insurance’s award winning annual report), computer animation (for the rock band U2’s Pop Mart tour) wall installations (for Barney’s co-op stores nation wide) and product design and image branding (for O.R.E. ORIGNIALS and distributed nation wide and the UK).

19.jpg

Who's the b*tch Now, 2005 22 x 30 in. mixed media on pap

15.jpg

The Gang's All Here, 2005 22 x 30 in. mixed media on paper

18.jpg

Outrageous, 2005 22 x 30 in. mixed media on paper

13.jpg

Sleep Tight , 2005 22 x 30 in. mixed media on paper

11.jpg

Shop Til You Drop, 2005 22 x 30 in. mixed media on paper

10.jpg

Teen Terror , 2005 22 x 30 in. mixed media on paper

9.jpg

Forever and Ever, 2005 22 x 30 in. mixed media on paper

6.jpg

Collision of Color, 2005 22 x 30 in. mixed media on paper

lyonswiergallery.com

killedbyart_lrg.jpg

Killed By Art, 2003
gouache, watercolor and pencil on paper
22 x 30 inches

purplepower_lrg.jpg

Purple Power, 2003
22 x 30 inches

menatwork_lrg.jpg

Men At Work, 2003
22 x 30 inches

goingout_lrg.jpg

Going Out Tonight?, 2003
22 x 30 inches

www.solomonprojects.com

Some of the work Carter did for Barneys Co-Op (available for commission too... I've been trying to get in contact with him to make one for me but his website isnt up yet)

lyonswier482_1.jpg

kustera.jpg

If you go into a Jonathan Adler furniture store or a Barneys Co-Op, these are everywhere in cute pastel colors with ironic little sayings on the bottom :P

www.scope-art.com
www.businessweek.com

thanks for sharing, cutxpaste, very interesting...
i like the ironic and somewhat grotesque undertones and while i'm not usually a fan of a stiff painting style like his, i really admire the balance and proportions within the images as a whole.

Estella Mare said:
thanks for sharing, cutxpaste, very interesting...
i like the ironic and somewhat grotesque undertones and while i'm not usually a fan of a stiff painting style like his, i really admire the balance and proportions within the images as a whole.

i think in the irony in his work is what makes me like it the most...like you, i prefer painting with more loose, less calculated brushstrokes, but i find carter's work really striking.

his website, carterkustera.com is still a work in progress. i emailed him back at the end of april about commissioning a portrait and he said the website would be up soon. but artists are busy peope :innocent: :P

I love the killed by art and purple power :D I think the simplicity is really effective and gets right to the point.
I've never seen high-fashion goods this way either, as illustrations. I'm always just used to seeing them as photographs... I wonder if they end up losing their 'luxury' or importance. I find myself focusing more on the figures.

haha...killed by art
i wonder what guy boudin will think if he's still alive

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adspttsa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->