Chanel’s traveling “Mobile Art” exhibition

i really hope i get to see this.
the building looks like a giant makeup compact from above.
i saw the models for it at The Design Museum in London late last year.

This looks so incredible. I don't know why I didn't see this sooner.

i am from Hong Kong so i saw that :innocent:

it should be a greatest exhibition of 2008 to me
pieces visual decoration even aura all is perfect matching!!!!!:D

Today is the last day it's in Hong Kong, next stop is Tokyo, but it won't be there until May, so another months wait.

What a great way to publisize Chanel :rolleyes: There was an opening event with Karl Lagerfeld and Diane Kruger.

Is this coming to Los Angeles because in the first page it says it is and on the website it doesn't say anything about making a stop in Los Angeles???????????Im so sad.:cry:

"Chanel Mobile Art: Coming Soon to Central Park" July 24, 2008 -
- Supreme Being blog

“Chanel has decided to make the legendary quilted bag the focus of an event on an international scale: MOBILE ART. Just as fashion spreads throughout the world, this traveling event will be presented in Asia, the United States and Europe.”

“In a futuristic pavilion created by the architect Zaha Hadid, 20 international contemporary artists will exhibit work inspired by the elements that give the emblematic quilted bag from CHANEL its identity.”

This mobile art piece, a traveling pavilion for art exhibits will be at Central Park’s Rumsey Playfield from October 20th to November 9th. After that, it will set off to tour in London, Moscow and making the last stop in Paris. AMAZING!!!

Coming to America

Coming to America
By WWD Staff
Posted Thursday July 24, 2008
Last Edited Thursday July 24, 2008

Those who didn’t make it to Hong Kong or Tokyo recently should be pleased to hear that Chanel’s traveling “Mobile Art” exhibition is headed Stateside this fall. From Oct. 20 to Nov. 9, the Zaha Hadid-designed collapsible, futuristic pavilion will be set up on Central Park’s Rumsey Playfield. The entire project — both structure and inside exhibit — is inspired by Chanel’s iconic quilted handbag. “Mobile Art” was officially unveiled in Hong Kong in March, and is set to travel to cities like London, Moscow and Paris. The mix of artists evolves with each city. In Hong Kong, for instance, the exhibit featured works by 20 contemporary artists, including David Levinthal, Yoko Ono, Wim Delvoye and Nobuyoshi Araki.

this is now in Central Park in NY until November 9th for New Yorkers who are interested in seeing the exhibit...

i think i have to go back to NY sooner than expected now :P

One of my friends went to see it in Central Park- she really liked it.

Wish I could go- at least we have fantastic pictures to give us a glimpse of it.

I am so sad that I will be missing this! I will not be in the city again til November 14th! Ugh! Well there will always be pictures....

I've heard it is slightly disappointing in that they sort of rush you through it. Apparently you're given headphones with a narrator that explains each exhibit but you're not exactly allowed to go at your own pace, you know?

There is an accompanying magazine/lookbook for it that was edited by Olivier Zahm with photographs by Karl...it's absolutely gorgeous if you can get your hands on it! And yes, there's nudity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chanel Mobile Art Pictures

Share your Chanel Mobile art pictures and stories here, whether you have visited the exhibit in Hong Kong, Japan or New York.

Here are a few of My new york Pictures
2999700115_de85d024f2_b.jpg

2999700123_0daa248dc4_b.jpg

3000489598_e5c6f56d4c_b.jpg

These are my favorite postcards from the exhibit, especially the middle one, Empty your bag Bare your soul:
f
In bygone days, in the legal world, case files were just simple sheets of paper rolled up and carried in leather bags. Each lawyer had his own, and took his scrolls out one by one in front of the judge in order to read his defense speech. In other words, he "emptied his bag".
To "empty one's bag" has become an idiomatic expression in French, "vider son sac: dire ce qu'on a sur le coeur", used when someone reveals something that was kept secret for a long time.
- Sophie Calle
3000489544_341bd3e755_b.jpg

did anyone go to this in NYC? I want to go on saturday morning and try to get walk up tickets...but i dont know what the chances are and what the scene is like there in terms of difficutly of getting a ticket. If anyone has any info, please let me know!

I think Zaha Hadid is such an amazing artist! And I think it's great that she is working with a brand like Chanel. So futuristisk, yet very beautiful. I would really like to see it irl though.

I actually lined up at 5AM on the last day in NYC to see this. I was blown away, even though it was a pretty controlled environment.

apparently this is being called off...
just read this news bit in karl lagerfeld's thread...

Crisis taking the shine out of luxury

38 minutes ago
PARIS (AFP) — Chanel fashion's decision to call off a prestigious but costly global art show is the latest sign that even the shine of the luxury industry is beginning to wear thin due to the crisis.
While big profits are still on the cards for the luxury sector in the months ahead, global sales are down, prices stagnating, and less and less new boutiques opening.
"This is the sector's toughest crisis in decades," said Annie Girac, a consultant for Euler Hermes SFAC credit insurance firm.
Paris-based Chanel on Friday announced a premature end to the Chanel Mobile Art exhibition, a high-end arty tribute to its quilted bag-with-chain that travelled from Hong Kong to Tokyo to New York and had been due to continue to London, Moscow and Paris.
"In the current context we have to arbitrate. We prefer to refocus on our strategic investments," Chanel said.

Agency France Press

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->