Chanel Haute Couture S/S 2019 Paris

i don't understand why ppl r so harsh on Karl, especially after all those craps and uninspiring things we have seen from those mainstays of fashion world like dior and celine, this collection seems really delightful and elegant from a very old man

That´s because from several years ago this has been "Chanel on autopilot" non-stop. As boring and predictable as Maria-Grazia and Slimane...but the press and the industry keeps praising each "new" collection like his best one to date.

Never been a fan of KL; but his 90s and early 00s work was way better than this. At least he didn´t make the models look like old bored ladies, who lunched at the Ritz...

@jeanclaude That’s what happen when people loves someone. It was the same for Alaia. Since his comeback in 2003, he has designed endlessly the same collection. But because he was who he was, people loved it and created genius after every show.
And we are starting to witness the same thing for Prada now that her collections are not good.
People are not afraid of being banned. Apart from Italian designers and Hedi Slimane, nobody does it. It’s just that you can’t be objective when you like someone...

And in France, we love our designers to an awful point almost. And Karl with his longevity is the last of a certain era. People are admirative of what he can do still.

I don’t think people are going to compare him with the Young ones. He has a league of his own now...

i don't understand why ppl r so harsh on Karl, especially after all those craps and uninspiring things we have seen from those mainstays of fashion world like dior and celine, this collection seems really delightful and elegant from a very old man
Those are just critics. That’s the game. And we all know that he doesn’t cares about critics and The Weirthemer obviously doesn’t care either so...

As for the collection, the sketches were there. It’s just that he has been very formulatic in his couture collections lately. It happens...
I don’t mind him repeating himself because I think that overall it has a great balance between all the Chanel collections and what he does at Fendi.

This is the third collection presented in 6 months and each one, while using similar elements, is totally different in spirit from another.

Is not revolutionary, but this little thing that Karl does like bring a new neckline, at this point of the game, just warm my heart. I love this collection, it fells refreshing, young at right point, sophisticated, something that I would like to have seen in RTW SS collection... Anyway, couture and mid seasons are the places that Karl always delivered and had been delivering and I think is because still challenging to him. Couture is something that keeps changing every season and for the mid seasons the routine of choosing a different part of the world for inspiration makes him always wonder how he gonna do it since that culture and people are always changing.

This is "easy" couture in the best way possible. Its easy to understand, easy to style - even it something like the bride, just put a tulle skirt and you ready to say "yes" to anything - and desirable. Well done Karl, love you forever :flower:

I tried really hard not to laugh while watching this, but that bridal bathing suit really cracked me up.

Came here to throw in the obvious "Time to retire, Karl" comment, but reading that he didn't make it to the show makes me feel sad, a lot more than I would have expected. We all know that is work ethics don't allow him to retire any earlier than the Pope, so for him not to be at his Couture show doesn't sound good at all. If he was just a little "tired", he still could have given the audience a short bow, just to prevent rumors.

This collection makes me sad, especially since it really seems like it's one of Karl 's last ones. It seems quite sentimental, even though he's not the sentimental type. It's as if he's returning to his favourite times: the eighteenth century, his heyday in the eighties and nineties, and styling from the early 2010's. It's as if he's playing his swan song on the runways. It's sad to see the end of an era.

Nice details, the line the same classic: forget it, but they are refreshed for some exquisite details that I fell in love delicated colors, little precious details...

You know when I see chanel I forget the entire look I go directly to the details
there is where the magic shines.

Didn't even notice the clothes because I was too distracted by the horrendous hair. Really poor choice.

@jeanclaude That’s what happen when people loves someone. It was the same for Alaia. Since his comeback in 2003, he has designed endlessly the same collection. But because he was who he was, people loved it and created genius after every show.
And we are starting to witness the same thing for Prada now that her collections are not good.
People are not afraid of being banned. Apart from Italian designers and Hedi Slimane, nobody does it. It’s just that you can’t be objective when you like someone...

Then I am a martian here...because If the work of a certain designer I admire goes downhill, I cannot keep being interested in him anymore. I simply got bored. I keep adoring his past work; and I am gonna ignore his present one.

For example this happens to me with Tom Ford. I totally adore his work at Gucci and YSL (to the point of obsession); but I don´t care about his own brand at all.
I can´t help being objective...it´s not the same like before anymore.
This is like love. If the relationship you are in doesn´t make you feel something anymore, it´s better to end it. It´s gonna hurt a lot...but there´s no point in self-delusion.

Then I am a martian here...because If the work of a certain designer I admire goes downhill, I cannot keep being interested in him anymore. I simply got bored. I keep adoring his past work; and I am gonna ignore his present one.

For example this happens to me with Tom Ford. I totally adore his work at Gucci and YSL (to the point of obsession); but I don´t care about his own brand at all.
I can´t help being objective...it´s not the same like before anymore.
This is like love. If the relationship you are in doesn´t make you feel something anymore, it´s better to end it. It´s gonna hurt a lot...but there´s no point in self-delusion.

But I think in Karl’s case, it’s beyond his work. His work might be inconsistent at Chanel, he is still good at Fendi.
The longevity and all add to the thing.

I love Tom Ford but he had that gap for 6 years. Karl has been consistent for more than 50 years.

Personally, when it comes to Karl i know i’m not as objective as I would like but I don’t care. He was my first introduction to fashion...

Personally, when it comes to Karl i know i’m not as objective as I would like but I don’t care. He was my first introduction to fashion...

there is never such thing as being objective in fashion, we are not talking about sales or whatever (and if we do, the objective fact is that Karl's collection keep selling very decently over all these years, otherwise he won't stay this long)

if you love sth, u just love it, no excuse, no explanation, don't fear, don't care :cool:

So he was for you like the fashion equivalent to the "first love".

there is never such thing as being objective in fashion, we are not talking about sales or whatever (and if we do, the objective fact is that Karl's collection keep selling very decently over all these years, otherwise he won't stay this long)

if you love sth, u just love it, no excuse, no explanation, don't fear, don't care :cool:

Each one taste is subjective, there are no absolutes in it. If you like something, you like it. Not only in fashion, this works for everything in life. And sometimes it is hard to explain why you like that something.

But sometimes you realize things aren´t working as before. That amazing feeling you got is gone. And then you change your mind.

considering the super status of Chanel and Karl's longevity, i think many ppl's first impression to fashion and luxury is linked with Chanel, especially in 2000s where internet ear began meanwhile Chanel's massive shows and high-budget ads became a thing on it, that's why there r so many ppl obsessed with this brand and buying Chanel like a collector, it's a complex

@chanelh Yep, that´s true. But I think in Lola´s case, it was pre-internet.
I also discovered Karl´s work when internet wasn´t still available here in Spain (around 1994).

I specially loved when Chanel Couture was presented at Mademoiselle´s rooms at the Ritz (from 1996 to 1998, if I remember well). That intimate kind of shows were more sophisticated than the mega-shows of nowadays. And as the design of each outfit was more exquisite then compared to today´s Chanel collections, that way of presentation put all the focus on the clothes.

That F/W 96-97 "Coromandel" coat is at another level, compared to the mess of a collection they have just launched...such a let down!

HC-AH-1996-97-n95-Coromandel-Desktop-2x.jpg

chanel.com

Last edited:
^^
Mouna Ayoub owns that coat!
We can say it. In France it’s weird because designers at that time were stars and Karl was always on the TV for some random reasons, sometimes detached from fashion but I remember they were showing shows and it was the FW93 Couture collection. I was between 7 or 8 and it was so striking. The girls had a very natural and approachable look while wearing Superwomen clothes.

And I knew what he was doing was different because they showed Couture collections from designers all week and everybody was very Madame. It was the time where there was YSL, Ungaro and stuff.
Tbh i’ve never been disappointed with his work because i’ve Never look at his body of work only with the spectre of Chanel.

Tom Ford was really the first love who disappointed me. It’s almost impossible for him to top the perfection of his past work. But I still like his work sometimes. I appreciate it differently...

With Chanel, mostly Couture, there’s something weird because it’s a fashion house that has still a particular relationship with it clientele. Karl is doing Couture since 1983 and it’s really interesting to go to a Chanel show and see the impact of the brand and of his creations. It’s really weird when you go to Chanel show, you see people wearing Chanel. It’s easy to see who bought it and who is an ambassador but it’s like a Tweed army of fans from very important journalist to politician women.

For me, Chanel HC is the last real proper HC because it’s about lifestyle rather than pure aesthetic.

I know for a fact that at Dior, still nowadays, there are clients who asks for past Galliano creations than for MGC endless ballerina dresses.

I think that being lucky to sometimes attend the shows makes me appreciate Chanel collections differently. The perspective is different maybe...

For me, Chanel HC is the last real proper HC because it’s about lifestyle rather than pure aesthetic.

It's the same for me as well, Chanel seems like the only one out there that's still upholding most of the traditions of classic HC, and that's why I continue to stay loyal toto the brand. That and nostalgia.

My first fashion loves were Gianni Versace and Karl's Chanel. I grew up in the early 2000s, but I was more in love with the things that came before. The first things I really remember reading growing up were my mom's back issues (like 1978-2001) of Harper's Bazaar and Vogue, with the ads with Yasmine, Linda, Naomi and InesInes, and countless editotrials.

The women were these goddesses in these unbelievable clothes, and they looked so elegant, and gorgeous, and chic. There was playfulness without it seeming contrived, and it looked like everyone was enjoying themselves so much. They made me fall in love with fashion, and they're what keep me loyal to Karl and his brands even through these past few seasons.

I will always buy Chanel, maybe some years I'll buy less, but I will be loyal to the brand for the rest of my life because of Karl's vision.

So sad reading about him. I wish him well and a speedy recovery.

Though this collection is quite formulaic. I gotta give him props for the new neckline. Very lovely indeed. What I love about Chanel is that it's life and aspiration without being cheap. Of course, if you ask many people who are not totally into fashion, at least in Asia they would rank Chanel as close as Hermes. It isn't just fashion but it's lifestyle. A luxury. An idea. A code in itself. Even if it's the worst collection, it still gives so much life and join to be enjoyed. In a sea of dullness, I will miss Karl's Chanel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turnipcookie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->