Chanel Pre-Fall 2011 Paris-Byzance

Chanel - Paris Byzance (Pre-Fall 2010/2011) Full Collection in HQ - Part 3

Chanel Press Office

Chanel - Paris Byzance (Pre-Fall 2010/2011) Full Collection in HQ - Part 4

Chanel Press Office

Chanel - Paris Byzance (Pre-Fall 2010/2011) Full Collection in HQ - Part 5 - Final

Chanel Press Office

Now that I've seen the whole thing, the only thing I don't like are the horse hoof looking shoes.

For me the accessories paired with embellished pieces are just TOO much, but it's just because that the whole collection is absolutely not in my style. When I try to be more objective I can see some beautiful, luxury clothes which are perfect for Lagerfeld's customers.

^ Chanel released their own HQs the next day!!? Wow- that's new- we used to have to wait forever and usually had to find them elsewhere; a great step, thanks Chanel! ^_^

Here's a review from Style.com:

PARIS, December 7, 2010

By Meenal Mistry

"After the Grand Palais, I had to do the opposite," Karl Lagerfeld said, tongue only partially in cheek, at Chanel's Métier d'Arts show in Paris tonight. Indeed, the cozy, intimate proceedings landed at the end of the spectrum furthest from the grand-scale Spring 2011 spectacle that had dared you not to drop your jaw. For that matter, it was equidistant from last year's pre-fall show: a Shanghai extravaganza with a thousand guests taking it all in on a pontoon on the Huangpu River.

Instead, Lagerfeld had transformed the second-floor couture salon at the brand's iconic Rue Cambon store into a sort of Ottomanesque chill-out room, with low stained glass tables and two rows of patterned square pillows to seat the 136 fashion folk—mostly a hometown crowd—in attendance. It was so low-key it felt as if Uncle Karl had invited over a few friends—you know, friends like Inès, Diane, Charlotte, Tatiana, and Clémence. But you only had to look at the salon walls, entirely embroidered for the occasion in tiny bronze sequins, to know that intimacy doesn't equal skimping in the house that Coco built.

The season's theme, Paris-Byzance, Lagerfeld explained, was inspired by the Empress Theodora and the lost culture of Byzantium. In typically rapid-fire mode, he noted: "Theodora was a circus artist who became empress, like Chanel, who was a little singer and became a fashion empress." Ba-domp-bomp! Mostly, however, the reference came via Coco's Byzantine-inspired Gripoix jewelry, which is instantly recognizable even today.

Lagerfeld's take on it cross-pollinated the fifth century with sixties London. Call it "Granny Takes a Trip to Constantinople." These dolly birds wear their swingy navy peacoats trimmed with exquisite little jeweled buttons; their every square-heeled boot, black leather glove, and quilted handbag come encrusted with big glittering stones. And to upgrade that messy beehive: a filigree headband. The bohemia was possibly at its hautest in the amazing multicolored knits made decadent with gold thread, embroidered fringe, and chunky gold chains knitted right in.

For those modern-day empresses who are Chanel's clientele, there was some truly beautiful suiting meticulously decked out in more gold chains, braiding, jeweled buttons, feathers, and fringe. And for evening: either heavy jewel-tone satin with even heavier swaths of mosaic embroidery—as if you were wearing a chunk of a church, and we mean that in the best possible sense—or, on the lighter side, black silk edged with snaking stones. One of the strongest evening looks, a floaty and only moderately embroidered plum silk number, looks predestined for the red carpet. (Hope you were paying attention, Ms. Kruger.)

The Métier d'Arts show is about flexing the muscles of the artisans that the label has gathered under its umbrella. It's about the little black dress crafted from little silk and feather flowers using a level of craftsmanship that's almost gone the way of Byzantium. If last pre-fall was about recognizing the future, set as it was in the very market that every luxury label is trying its hardest to crack, then this, in a sense, was about recognizing the past. Even an inveterate anti-nostalgist like Lagerfeld knows that solidifying and celebrating Chanel's heritage is one key to remaining a powerhouse in the decades to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good collection. The excessive embelishment is amazing as well as the accesories.
If you take off those awful oversize pants, this could be a couture collection. Some of the dresses are truly fantastic. I also love the fact that even with so many looks, you're not bored but only overwhelmed by the beauty of the garments.

It's adorable! I'm in love with this collection! I'm studying Byzantine history and culture in depth right now and I'm gonna crazy about it xD

Love looks like a mix also from Moscu Pre Fall and HC Pre fall 2008
I even like some of the sandals :heart:

Chanel - Paris Byzance (Pre-Fall 2010/2011) Full Show in HQ

Part 1 and Part 2

can anyone upload hq images of the show??TIA, maybe it's just me but when I click the images already upload, it doesn't get any better than MQ,,,:(

Goodness, how uh-MAZING is this collection? From Karl's rather mediocre HC and his uninspired Spring Collection, this one just rocks! Great styling and I love the rich gold tones.. That look on Baptiste.. dear me.. I'd kill to wear it.

While I think the theme is a good fit for Karl's Chanel, I'm not sure it was the best idea to attempt it in a Pre-fall collection.

I think these ideas and pieces would have been better executed in a Couture collection (or at least in one of the normal seasons), because to me, most of this looks very cheap and tacky. Perhaps it's just the lighting, but the fabrics don't look very nice. The embellishments don't seem to be applied with the care that you'd expect from Chanel. While I appreciate the restrain used in approaching the theme, the fit is all wrong in many of the looks (something that is key when whittling down potentially flamboyant looks).

Over all, not a fan. Perhaps it just is the lighting, but I really don't understand what everyone is raving about. I do quite like the make-up, though.

I really like the collection but I don't really love the collection. Nonetheless, this collection is well crafted and very beautiful. Karl does so much better with all these rich, gold and opulent style lately. His Tropez cruise collection wasn't that youthful nor beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->