• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Chemical Straightening?

My hair gets wavy when it's long. I had the Japanese Thermal Conditioning done. My hair has been straight for 2 years! It definitely depends on where you go. But if you get it done at an asian salon your price will be half of what it is in an american salon.

I only paid $300 for my treatment at an asian salon and at an american salon it would have costed me $800!!! Goodness! Advice: If you got a Chinatown anywhere near your city...go there and find the top rated salon and you will still get good service for half the price of an american salon.

My hair gets wavy when it's long. I had the Japanese Thermal Conditioning done. My hair has been straight for 2 years! It definitely depends on where you go. But if you get it done at an asian salon your price will be half of what it is in an american salon.

I only paid $300 for my treatment at an asian salon and at an american salon it would have costed me $800!!! Goodness! Advice: If you got a Chinatown anywhere near your city...go there and find the top rated salon and you will still get good service for half the price of an american salon.

Do you recommend CHI straightening for hair that's very fine and somewhat thin? I'm afraid it will be too flat with nothing to be done!

Do you have a picture of your curly hair? Because I've got the MEAN tight curls, its a huge mix from like south american hair to african... I can straighten it to feel like silk, or I can let it air dry to look like an afro :/

I've been considering myself... but I really don't want to kill me hair :/

Don't straighten your hair chemically...that is my advise....learn to LOVE your hair as it is...I had wavy hair and when I was around 14 years old I straightened it chemically...and totally hated it....on the long term it was falling alot and it was thinner..
now I am 25 years old and still recoverying....my hair is alot better than before...but not as it's original state thick and wavy and shiny.....
I learnt to love my hair as it is....and it feels nice..

I live in Asia and straight hair look was hot here like about 2-3 years ago. I was 18 then and even though I have very straight hair, I still had it chemically straighten...just so that it would be even straighter !! Ang gosh, it looked horrible, it was like wearing a wig really. I am so glad the trend is over. But if you have curly hair , I think it would be okay. But you would have to take a good care of your hair.
Btw, we having a Curly trend now !! But I am staing natural !!!

I think it also depends on the place n the products that ur hair dresser uses. Because my friend and I both got our hair straightened around the same time, but from different places. I got mine done in Malaysia, and she got hers done in Australia. Even though hers cost three times more than mine did, but mine lasted the longest. I didn't have to straighten it with my straightner to maintain the...ermmmm straightness, but she had to after like just 3 months. :blush: The poor thing was so :angry: *mad*.

I have a kind of dumb question... I thought that when you got your hair straightened, that it would just dry perfectly straight. Is that not true? Does the chemical straightening just make it easier to straighten? I have reeally curly hair, but it is really fine, so it might get damaged... what do you think?

Well just some good hopefullness -

When I was a lot younger, my hair was silky and shiny and straight. Then when I was in my early teens, it got crazy curly and foofy. I have very thick hair. The curliness happened becuase I went throuhg puberty and had hormones and all that jazz. It's been growing out straight for quite some time now.

^ Yup, that happened to me too. I had straight, straight black hair, until I hit puberty. It got lighter and REALLY curly. Then I had my baby and hormones went wacko again. My hair is straight again, but a natural reddish brown.

Crazy what hormones can do to your hair. :lol:

When I was in Philippines I had my hair permantenly straightened (the salon called theirs Milk Rebond Straightening...since they used some milk with the chemicals to make the hair softer and to be less damaging) . I don't have curly hair, I had fairly straight hair, but to get it to do what I want I have to straighten it with a flat iron or blow dryer and I simply don't want to fuss everyday.

Everyone was telling me oh, you'll damage your hair!....but when I thought about it...how damaging can rebonding it be? I'm sure I would more likely cause more damage by daily iron/blowdrying.

I love it...I wake up and can wash my hair, comb and go. No hassle in the morning of styling it...and no damage like they said... this is probably the healthiest its been :heart:

I have a very tender scalp and from the straightening over and over they did...it really hurt....they were pulling so hard and I was in a cranky pissed off PMS mood that I started have tears run down my cheeks and the four girls doing my hair went frantic....one went to get me tissue, one got me a cappucino and the other was massaging my scalp and one ran for the gay front desk guy to arrange for a nail lady to give me a pedi/mani to distract me :rofl: The pain and the 7 hours i spent in the salon was worth it though. Took lots of my patience....but I will do it again when I see its not retaining its intial straightness.

Could they just touch up the roots? :unsure:

I don't want to feel like I'm gettng my hair pulled for hours again. :lol:

One year my sister wanted to give me a 7 day perm from the box. So I figured, 7 days.. no big deal. So I let her, but shame on me- it ended up lasting MONTHS. It's not like it stayed the same, it just drooped and would do these crazy things that I hated. So when I went to visit my mom in Hawaii, she had me get this "straightening perm"... and since she's Korean we went to her friends salon to get it done. It took about 3-4 hours. But BOY was it worth it!! My hair was fried like I thought it would be. It was so silky and shiny. So now I get it done every summer when I go down there. The only downside for me was I couldn't get it wet for 3 DAYS! And I was in Hawaii... what kind of punishment was that. Haha, but afterwards I was able to curl it out and under- never tried spirals though so I don't know how those would turn out...

japanese straightening is DEF damaging..i don't care what they advertise. you'll notice after a series of treatments but prolly not just after one.

also, you have to avoid curling or even bending it (ie. tucking it behind your ears) during the first month otherwise it stays a bit curled.

stay away if you have fine or thin hair b/c it'll be flat and life-less

togehter with the damage, the cost and the fact that stick straight is boring...its really not worth it imo :blink:

big.mui said:
also, you have to avoid curling or even bending it (ie. tucking it behind your ears) during the first month otherwise it stays a bit curled.

:shock: Is that your experience? I've been doing it for years, but they say not to bend or wash your hair for just one day after the perm. I've never had any problem...I love it. Salon once a year, no blowdrying or styling whatsoever: soft, silky, shiny straight hair! :heart: It gets damaged if you also color it though.

It's true it gets very flat if you have thin hair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->