Cloak Uncloaked

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
(nice pun in the title:huh: )

Like the final scene of a make-over reality show(really horrid comparison:rolleyes: ), Cloak completes its big "reveal" with the launch of a store to call its very own, envisioned here by designer Alexandre Plokhov. Upon entering the tiny SoHo shop, it's clear the once-shadowy Meatpacking-based men's line we first put to pixels five years ago has left the dark-knight, Dior Homme-compared ethos of its early years for a more romantic new image. The space evokes an English gentlemen's club with a massive antique wooden table as a centerpiece, but that's not the only throwback to old London. In addition to ready-to-wear, accessories and shoes, the store features an exclusive bespoke suiting service offering Savile Row fabrics and techniques. It seems the Cloak show has moved to primetime. Cloak, 10 Greene Street, 212-625-2828

cloakB.jpg

*from Hint

so, is it actually open yet....I've been too busy with my own opening.......

hmmm...
things seem to be changing at cloak...

but i really liked the darker side of their aesthetic...
hope they don't stray too far from that ...

the store looks amazingly boring...:ninja:...*yawn*

hmm...thanks for the info scott...
will walk by and check it out...

It does sound rather boring for Cloak. I would have expected something a tad more composed in terms of decor;something that accented the aesthetics of his work,indeed....maybe a nod to haunting Victorian London(gentleman's clubs are not what I have in mind)...Russian military??

I went there the other day. The store is small but very amazing. It looks exactly like the drawing, except its all painted a very cloak like dark grey blue. It's like you walked into a gothic castles library room which happens to have a couple racks of clothes. The back wall bookshelf actually opens to reveal a hidden office.

Btw, the clothes are amazing as well.

is that a bookcase at the back? :blink:
it looks extremely boring

Thanks for the info mouko! That bookshelf/hidden door does sound quite interesting :D

Scott said:
It does sound rather boring for Cloak. I would have expected something a tad more composed in terms of decor;something that accented the aesthetics of his work,indeed....maybe a nod to haunting Victorian London(gentleman's clubs are not what I have in mind)...Russian military??

oh YEAH!!...
russian military sounds MUCH sexier :heart:

i guess the fact that it's painted dk blue might be better...:ermm:

I haven't been yet, but I will. kLm posted this in another Cloack thread, maybe we can merget this? I don't know if the store sounds boring, I want to check it out in person. It does look rather conservative from the drawing :unsure:

cute little shop ( including the library wall ..)

What's all the excitement upon cloak about? I am just a bit curious. I first got to know it less than 2 years ago. It seems to have been such a big thing in American fashion scene. But what's really special with it? Gothic, military, Russian? But all these elements and all kinds of combinations of them have been used and almost exhausted by European desingers in their men's wear, aren't they? I checked their collections from 2002 on firstview. I must say it's good, certainly different from most men's wear from other American designers. But is it really good enough to be worthy all those hype? I am not sure. At least next time I do shopping in NYC, it still won't be on the top of my hunting list. I secretly suspect people make cloak such a big thing, probably just because there's simply not so much to be excited about New York fashion designers.

haoshcn said:
What's all the excitement upon cloak about? I am just a bit curious. I first got to know it less than 2 years ago. It seems to have been such a big thing in American fashion scene. But what's really special with it? Gothic, military, Russian? But all these elements and all kinds of combinations of them have been used and almost exhausted by European desingers in their men's wear, aren't they? I checked their collections from 2002 on firstview. I must say it's good, certainly different from most men's wear from other American designers. But is it really good enough to be worthy all those hype? I am not sure. At least next time I do shopping in NYC, it still won't be on the top of my hunting list. I secretly suspect people make cloak such a big thing, probably just because there's simply not so much to be excited about New York fashion designers.

Well, for once - his expression of the style is definitely unique. There is a discernable signature Cloak look, which in my book characterises a designer as such. Yes, other designers work in similar or overlapping vein, but - Cloak is neither Dior Homme, nor Raf Simons, nor Ann Demeulemeester nor Number Nine, nor Undercover.

The second part you answered for yourself - look at the US designers and tell me who else to look forward to?

Last edited by a moderator:
It hardly looks boring as a couple have suggested...it certainly has a romantic edge to it...whilst still personifying that elegant aristocracy feel...i like it...

faust said:
Well, for once - his expression of the style is definitely unique. There is a discernable signature Cloak look, which in my book characterises a designer as such. Yes, other designers work in similar or overlapping vein, but - Cloak is neither Dior Homme, nor Raf Simons, nor Ann Demeulemeester nor Number Nine, nor Undercover.

The second part you answered for yourself - look at the US designers and tell me who else to look forward to?

Definitely, Cloak is not sleek like Dior Homme, more rugged and worn, not as quirky and rock 'n' roll as Number Nine or Undercover, more aristocratic and elegant (like jhaime mentionned), Alexandre Plokhov even mentionned that the fall 2004 collection was named "Viennese Decadence", and possesses a different romantic vision than that of Ann Demeulemeester.

faust said:

I don't know, but it seems to me that his clothes is more like styling of the entire look rather than clothing design. But that's probably the problem of so-called men's fashion in general, not just him. For example, I like his Fall 2004 collection the most, but upon a second look, I found what I really liked the most was actually the way he combined the clothes with those unusual haircut!

Again, I never mean to say he is not a good designer, I only want to say everything he has done seem to have been done by other designers in Paris or Milan, although unnecessarily all done by a single designer. That's why he is not so much exciting to me. And talking about men's wear desginers I think there are still quite a few designers based in Europe other than big names like Ann Demeulemeester, Dior Homme, Raf Simons we should care about, and should be introduced to the US market (or maybe just NYC since who care about interesting men's fashion outside few metropolitan centres in the US?! ). They may not be consistently good every season, but once a while, you still get surprises from them, at least not worse than Cloak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would disagree and say, that cloak pieces can be worn individually and not just as a whole outfit or style...as well as that, i've pieces which have a particular variation to them...which is why they stand out...incredible attention to detail...

I'd have to disagree,that it's more in the styling. In fact,compared to Slimane,Alexandre is the better créateur. Slimane,is more about the image he's trying to capture that particular season whilst with Cloak you get a real sense for the pieces and the quality.

Scott said:
I'd have to disagree,that it's more in the styling. In fact,compared to Slimane,Alexandre is the better créateur. Slimane,is more about the image he's trying to capture that particular season whilst with Cloak you get a real sense for the pieces and the quality.

Or at least, quality of design, considering their production issues in the past.

Just passed by the store - it's gorgeous. It's not fair to rag on a drawing as the proof is in the final production (should we condemn a designer sketch without seeing the final piece of clothing that it represents?). The store has the ambiance of a menswear store that really feels more like a goth version of, say, a Paul Smith store: haberdashery with a modern, dark edge, mixed with the familiar menswear tropes to give a sense of classicism and familiarity. easily my favorite new store design of late.

The clothing, I'm glad to say (for my wallet's sake), isn't to my liking this season. Nothing fit right. Alexandre has gone for a larger, roomier fit, and a 30" waist on me slipped right off to my knees (and I was wearing jeans with a 30" waistline). The smalls were too roomy, and while I was told he created Xtra smalls in certain sizes, they weren't in any of the styles I was interested in. Although I DID like the longsleeved shirts with the self-covered buttons, Those were nice, and worth looking into later...

haoshcn, I agree with you to some degree, as I also preferred Fall 2004 to almost any of Cloak's collections. I think it was the height of Cloak's ouvre thus far. My suspicion is that the synergy between Alexandre and his ex partner, Robert Geller, was what made the collection look the way it did, and considering how Alexandre seems to want to distance himself fropm those collections (they were struck from the Cloak website, for example - collections, press, and all) I assume they typified things he wasn't necessarily tino.

Granted, there as a more downtown/Dior feel to the styling then that was less unique but very au courant, but it worked. The nice thing was that they were put together in very interesting ways, and then when you examined the clothing even further, you found (as you still will, as Alexandre excells in this) interesting cuts and details, from the shape and length of a sleeve to the seams on a shoulder, to the hardware on the toggles and drawstrings. Alexandre's cuts are always creative and complex. But now, I think the colection is more about pieces, and the looks don't gel for me. I can't really get into them - time was that I wanted a look straight off the runway, wanted to look just like their presentation, but I haven't felt that way in the past two seasons. I'm still hopeful, as there are too few American designers I like, but we shall have to wait and see.

^Thanks for the differing assesment,baklanyc. Sounds quite interesting in your words.

I think it's actually better seeing the emphasis now on the pieces themselves than just the total looks and 'style' of Cloak. In that,it's much easier to appreciate in an indiviual way than to be sort of put-off,so-to-speak,by having to live up the image of the label. I liked the early stuff as much as anybody but I'm seeing a clear distinction in the individualism from him than I did before. It was very redundant there at the beginning...now he's got something different from the other's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->