Cloak to close.

haruki said:
Perhaps they would still be in business if their buttons didn't fall off. Quality matters when you are asked to pay the prices they charged. I've never owned any Cloak items myself but I have heard many complaints about the quality of the manufacturing.
true, one of the buttons did come off my shirt and i was sad to learn my cardigan was made in china.

Last edited by a moderator:
argh!..:doh:..

this sucks...!
i didn't love every single thing- but at least he had a point of view...
i feel bad for his wife who financed him...
it's really a tragedy ...

:cry:

wow...this is a bit of a depressing news.
but i cant say im totally shocked...i can somewhat see it coming..just didnt know when(in the near future maybe which turned out to be now). this takes me back to that documentry i saw that featured cloak in it.

but maybe when the time is right again...he will reopen the house? i think it's quite good that he's taking some time off, but it would be even better if he makes a comeback in a couple years.

and i never even got to wear it...:(
shocking and depressing..

I want to score some pieces from SS before the house closes...But the quality isn't very good? It has better be super super suepr cute.

you know the quality issue is probably a contributing factor as well....i know Cloak went from a label that was pretty homegrown and made right here in the American facilities and perhaps that demand to sell,sell,sell is too much for him.

i know before he became such a big deal,people lamenting on the quality of his work and how nice it was to finally have a thoughtful menswear designer in the States.

an update from wwd.

Alexandre Plokhov, who closed his six-year-old business, Cloak Designs LLC, in December, is headed to Versace SpA. He has been named a consultant "to strengthen the existing men's wear design team," a Versace spokeswoman said. He is expected to work on both the men's wear and accessories collections. The Russian-born designer was nominated for the 2006 CFDA Menswear Designer of the Year award, and received the 2005 CFDA Swarovski Perry Ellis Award for Menswear. In 2004, Plokhov tied for second place for the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Foundation Fund Award. Known for his elegant hand-tailoring, dark colors and military-style detailing, Plokhov continues to design a capsule men's wear collection for Uniqlo.

i'm glad the uniqlo capsule collection is going forward!

It's smart of Versace to hire talent like Christopher Kane and Plohkov to consult on their lines. You get all the good ideas but none of the financial risks if they were designing for their own smaller lines. I'll definitely be looking forward to the next men's Versace show.

good to know he is continuing with uniqlo... it's still such a shame that his business had to close. his influence in versace menswear will be interesting, i'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rachelmartini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->