Cloth Face Masks

^ yeah, when people quickly jumped into the business of making masks, I just rolled my eyes, it felt so tasteless, but admittedly, when the pandemic first hit, masks were needed and were one of the first things that disappeared from all pharmacies and stores (along with Lysol, any other cleaner, vinegar, toilet paper and eggs of course :lol:). I started buying any black mask I could find as soon as I'd see them (since they'd sell out right away) and have now tried different varieties and sort of understood that it's not that easy to make the right mask.

By far my worst experience was buying a super smooth-looking, round-ish black one.. I didn't try it at home and wore it as soon as I was out and man... I came back with a headache from the lack of oxygen, that 'smooth-looking' thing was pure.. plastic? not to mention it smelled like chemicals so bad. And I found my absolute favorite one a couple of days ago at some store, cute print and the nose and mouth area were cut separately, which makes a HUGE difference. It's also very sturdy and layered but feels.. fresh?. I've been into prints just because I've been [unintentionally unimaginative] wearing head-to-toe black all summer.. adding a black mask on top of that is like.. who does she think she is? the queen of darkness? I look stupid, so I need prints in the most ridiculous part of my ensemble (the freakin' face mask).

I saw this one by Erdem and loved it.
erdem1.jpg erdem2.jpg
erdem3.jpg erdem4.jpg
[erdem.com]

BTW, I purchased a pack that was advertised on vogue.com (from a company in Florida no less. For foreign TFSers, Florida has a bad reputation here in America), and those masks were all sorts of horrible! I put one on, and I could feel my facial hair poking through, and could see my lips. Buyer beware!

Whomever found that found that source...yeah, good luck!

Eckhaus Latta is selling a mask in collaboration with Reimiro, with 30% of the sales being donated to some organization (which I guess is something..). They state that the "THE INTERIOR FEATURES A CERTIFIED SILVER BLEND YARN, KNOWN TO MAXIMIZE PROTECTION AGAINST BACTERIAL AND VIRAL THREATS". I'm curious about them and like how they look though I don't exactly feel like dropping more than $10 on masks.
EL-cMASK__357_720x.jpg

source: eckhauslatta.com

I gave up on cloth masks...
maybe cause I'm in NYC which was the heart of covid...
I need more protection if I'm going to feel safe with so many humans around...

^ yeah, when people quickly jumped into the business of making masks, I just rolled my eyes, it felt so tasteless, but admittedly, when the pandemic first hit, masks were needed and were one of the first things that disappeared from all pharmacies and stores (along with Lysol, any other cleaner, vinegar, toilet paper and eggs of course :lol:). I started buying any black mask I could find as soon as I'd see them (since they'd sell out right away) and have now tried different varieties and sort of understood that it's not that easy to make the right mask.

By far my worst experience was buying a super smooth-looking, round-ish black one.. I didn't try it at home and wore it as soon as I was out and man... I came back with a headache from the lack of oxygen, that 'smooth-looking' thing was pure.. plastic? not to mention it smelled like chemicals so bad. And I found my absolute favorite one a couple of days ago at some store, cute print and the nose and mouth area were cut separately, which makes a HUGE difference. It's also very sturdy and layered but feels.. fresh?. I've been into prints just because I've been [unintentionally unimaginative] wearing head-to-toe black all summer.. adding a black mask on top of that is like.. who does she think she is? the queen of darkness? I look st*pid, so I need prints in the most ridiculous part of my ensemble (the freakin' face mask).

I saw this one by Erdem and loved it.

[erdem.com]

Just call me the queen of darkness then...:ninja:...

:lol:

This is the pinnacle of everything wrong with consumerism.
I agree with you in a way but also I feel like this might be a good way to get more people to wear masks.
like most of us are sheep if cloth masks start to trend it can influence the culture in a positive way.

Do you know how much protection these 'designer' mask offer compared to surgical masks? I would be wary of silk masks especially

BysecondWind sells silks masks. They have multiple layers in them. That may make them safer than one layer masks.

I have a smaller face so it is difficult for me to find masks that fit my face. The adult sized masks are always slightly too big and fall off of my face but the kid sized masks are slightly too small and hard to breathe in. Currently I've been using the Kitsch fabric face masks which still fit slightly big on my face but at least they stay on and do their job. If you have any recommendations for masks that are on the smaller side, please let me know!

I want, I want, I want! This one is made from PET, which if you didn't know, is a material made from recycled plastic. But......I'd be off my rocker to drop £29 for a facemask, lol.

Petit Pli

petit-pli-design-coronavirus-face-mask-expandable-recyled-plastic-bottles_dezeen_2364_hero-a.gif

Dezeen

Cloth masks are a bit hard to make too fashionable. Because something that requires a level of functionality in order to be acceptable has a struggle of being limited to design options–but as a few members already mentioned, making it stylish is not that far off from being essential since they're not going anywhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->