Coloring Your Hair at Home - Brand recommendations

Anyone used the L'Oreal Casting Creme 'Butterscotch' on blonde hair? I have bought it but not used it yet...just wondering how the colour comes out on a blonde?

Thanks!

Drugstore Hair Dyes

I usually go to a salon to get my hair dyed, but the bank accounts running low.

I'm a guy looking to dye my hair a dark/black brown, from a med-light brown, and for the dye to be non-permanent.
I don't want roots :o

Does anyone know of any good drugstore dyes? Discuss?
Do you use drugstore dyes? What do you use?

HELP! PLEASE!^_^

I'm using wellaton softcolor hair dye in dark chocolate
it's really mild for hair because it doesn't contain ammoniac, but still gives good color, but non-permanent
and it's pretty cheap

I have a question!

I have black hair and I wanted to dye it a kind of medium brown. I got a light brown dye but for some reason my hair didn't dye at all. In fact, it got even a darker black.

Anyone know why?

^ superbeautiful, is your hair naturally black, or colored black?

either way, black hair is tricky to lift - it is difficult to get the pigment in the hair to lighten enough to the point where the color being deposited will have an effect, especially with many consumer hair colors that use a weaker developer. and this is definitely why your hair got darker instead of lighter.

there are hair colors available that are designed to lift hair that is naturally dark (these have a higher volume, stronger developer like 30 or 40 volume as opposed to the typical 20 volume)... or there is always the option to go to a salon. if your hair is colored black, the salon is pretty much the only good option since the black will have to be lifted with either color remover (the gentler option) or bleach (which i had done once.... not fun!), and then colored over the the desired level.

either way, going to a salon would be your best bet, especially after this last bit of coloring. they can take a look at the health of your hair and determine the best way to approach it, and they can also insure that your hair won't pull any unwanted brassy tones during or after lightening. hope this helps a bit! :flower:

My hair is naturally black. I'm really considering the salon idea. Maybe it's a good thing it didn't pick up because I may have totally messed it up. I just don't want to bleach it.
I also have no idea why it got darker.

i sometimes dye my hair at home when i cant get an appointment. my hair is kinda chocolate brown, but i like it a little bit darker. and i've always had perfect result no matter what brand i've used.

oh dear i tried to bleach my hair the other day i really wanted to be blonde but i ended up bright ginger instead because i had so many other colours on my hair before i tired to go lighter oops!

i put a red on instead and now have lovely red hair i still want to go blonde but i dont have the patience to grow out all the dye i have in now to get there.

I colour my hair dark brown, and was blonde before, I use Wella Koleston, it is the best colour I know, it does not wash out.

710.jpg
www.directhairproducts.co.uk

I would honestly recc. going to the salon. You get better an more dimensional results rather than a block of solid colour on your hair. Go to the salon there is a reason why they are licensed because they know what they are doing...you can't ask a box questions nor can get a refund.

Any tips on maintaining jet black/blueish black hair? Looks amazing, and then a week later starts to fade! I'm going to buy Blue Orchid shampoo from Artec to see if it helps maintain the color longer. My natural color is dark/medium brown, but its had highlights for a few years, meaning the overall base color is now much lighter.

Also, do you recommend using a brush instead of the straight from the bottle method of application?

How would you guys suggest matching eyebrow color at home to what I am dyeing my hair? Should I put a bit of that same color on my eyebrows for only a few minutes?

How would you guys suggest matching eyebrow color at home to what I am dyeing my hair? Should I put a bit of that same color on my eyebrows for only a few minutes?

No! It should say right on the box to never use the dye to dye anything other than the hair on your head. You'll probably end up burning your eyebrows off and risk the possibility of vision impairment. The only option you should look into to change your brow color would be to see a professional.

After a couple of professional salon sessions (and watching the stylist very carefully) I've decided to purchase the exact same dye my stylist uses and dye my roots at home myself.

I have 2 questions:

The professional dye calls for a 'developer'. I can find the exact one my stylist uses on ebay, however I'm confused whether a developer takes the place of bleaching/lightening your hair before dying. In other words, do I first bleach the roots (it has to be lightened, I'm going from dark brown to red), than combine the dye & developer? Or do I skip the bleach/lightening part if I'm already using a developer?

Thanks in advance - this is tricky stuff but I think I can pull it off.

I recommend Palty for asian hair, I've never tried it on all back hair tho, but it worked fine on my already bleached/colored hair..

I'm going to dye my hair at home... And I have no idea what I'm doing?

Hi!

I have brown hair (I think it's about a shade 5) and I had caramel highlights for the summer. Now that Autumn is almost here, I'd like to go back to a dark brown.

I have a few questions because I'm not that great at dying my hair :huh:

This is my hair colour at the moment: http://oi48.tinypic.com/21b2k3l.jpg

The highlights are turning quite brassy, which I don't like. I wanted to go back to this type of dark black brown colour http://selftanningreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mila.jpg

Which is similar to my natural hair (although I think my natural hair is a little lighter) here: http://oi50.tinypic.com/2zptkc3.jpg

Which colour dye do you suggest? Somebody told me if I went ashy, the blonde parts of my hair would turn green... Which worries me a bit, lol :shock:

Should I use permanent or semi permanent dye? Will I get roots showing if I used permanent?

Thanks so much... If anybody has any tips I'd be so grateful :heart:

Melissa xxx

Hi melissa :flower:

First off I would suggest trying a semi-permanent. Unless you're covering greys there is no reason to use a permanent dye. Secondly do not select an ash shade. It may not turn your hair green but you may not get the dark brown colour you're looking for. Thirdly, I would suggest trying a medium brown shade. It will come out a lot darker than you expect. Dark brown shades tends to go black (this is from personal experience). Do not use a warm or 'golden' shade if you want to tone down the brassiness in your hair.

I have naturally dark brown hair and have been colouring it various shades of medium brown over the last few years. I'm now colouring my hair at home and have been for the past year and I've used all 3 tones and neutral always comes out looking the most natural. I now kick myself when I buy ash toned hair dye to tone down any residual brassiness because it always ends up looking worse than before.

My suggestion to you would be to check out the semi permanent dyes from either the clairol or l'oreal ranges and choose the neutral medium brown. I've had the best experiences with both of those brands although I use john freida now but its a permanent dye. Garnier is also suppose to have good semi dyes. And just a tip never trust the hair swatches on the box nor the ones they sometimes have on the shelves.

Hope this helps x

Hi melissa :flower:

First off I would suggest trying a semi-permanent. Unless you're covering greys there is no reason to use a permanent dye. Secondly do not select an ash shade. It may not turn your hair green but you may not get the dark brown colour you're looking for. Thirdly, I would suggest trying a medium brown shade. It will come out a lot darker than you expect. Dark brown shades tends to go black (this is from personal experience). Do not use a warm or 'golden' shade if you want to tone down the brassiness in your hair.

I have naturally dark brown hair and have been colouring it various shades of medium brown over the last few years. I'm now colouring my hair at home and have been for the past year and I've used all 3 tones and neutral always comes out looking the most natural. I now kick myself when I buy ash toned hair dye to tone down any residual brassiness because it always ends up looking worse than before.

My suggestion to you would be to check out the semi permanent dyes from either the clairol or l'oreal ranges and choose the neutral medium brown. I've had the best experiences with both of those brands although I use john freida now but its a permanent dye. Garnier is also suppose to have good semi dyes. And just a tip never trust the hair swatches on the box nor the ones they sometimes have on the shelves.

Hope this helps x

Thank you so much!! That was really helpful! I'm going to use Nice N Easy Medium Brown (it's got neutral tones) and get the semi permanent... I'm doing the patch and strand test as I type this lol

Thanks again <33 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i have finally found home colouring product that is exactly what i want!!!

L´OREAL CASTING CREME GLOSS shade Black Cherry 360

a09pog.jpg

lorealparis.fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->