Condé Nast Restructures European Magazines & Multiple Editors Set to be Axed

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by GivenchyHomme, May 18, 2021.

1. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

Via WWD

LONDON —
    Condé Nast is chopping and changing its mastheads across Europe, with France the next country to witness a series of high-profile exits following that of Dylan Jones, editor in chief of British GQ.

Industry sources said three top editors are set to lose their jobs as part of a reorganization of Condé’s structure worldwide.

Editors in chief Emmanuelle Alt of Vogue Paris and Olivier Lalanne, of the French edition of GQ, are set to exit, as is Joseph Ghosn, editorial director of Vanity Fair France. WWD has reached out to Condé Nast for comment.

As reported last week, job losses are in the pipeline at Condé Nast U.K. as part of a broader strategy set by Roger Lynch, Condé Nast’s chief executive officer. He has been seeking to streamline the company overall and to integrate the U.S. and international businesses as part of an ongoing turnaround plan.

Alt has been with Vogue Paris for more than two decades, and began her career there working alongside her predecessor Carine Roitfeld. She was named editor in chief in 2011.

Lalanne joined GQ last summer, having previously worked with Roitfeld and Alt at Vogue Paris. He also spent part of his Condé career at the head of Vogue Hommes International.

For the February issue of the magazine, he put Simon Porte Jacquemus, Roschdy Zem and Ichon on three separate covers of the magazine. The issue was meant to set a new “design and focus for the publication.”

TaylorBinque likes this.
  2. JohannesL

JohannesL Well-Known Member

I am wondering who is going to take over VP or are they going to turn it into VI 2.0 LOL.

dsamg likes this.
  3. MON

MON Well-Known Member

that is assuming that someone WILL take over. Vogue Espana and Germany hasnt announced a successor.

4. Alien Sex Friend

Alien Sex Friend Well-Known Member

Hooray for Alt. And when is Farneti turn? He is number 1 person in the firing list

lelaid, Benn98, jjjmmm and 4 others like this.
  5. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

Vogue Paris is my last standing fashion magazine, this is not good news imo. I fear what´s next... RIP VP?

6. bluestar

bluestar Well-Known Member

Agreed. On one hand I want to hope that someone with a fresher take will take over the position (if they do fill it) but on the other hand, I'm suspecting VP will just go down the drain...

kokobombon likes this.
  7. PowerDroid

PowerDroid Active Member

I don't think they will replace Alt. I think Anna and Edward will handle it all, saving $$$ and streamlining communications...

I wonder what will happen to the rest of French Vogue......

8. FashionMuseDior

FashionMuseDior Well-Known Member

I honestly think we should put VI out of the "Big 4" thingy.

crmsnsnwflks and dfl-001 like this.
  9. cottonmouth13

cottonmouth13 Well-Known Member

Sad that Alt's leaving VP. :( I may not have been a huge fan of her stint as the EIC at the magazine but I gotta say, she's produced a number of beautiful covers in the last decade.

But Conde Nast should have included Farneti in this. How come they did not think about that? Sigh.

10. AnaD

AnaD Active Member

I hope VP doesn't go down the drain. It may not always be the best, but it's had some great things under Alt's direction.

11. matheus_s

matheus_s Well-Known Member

any REAL news? or just rumors?

12. mepps

mepps Well-Known Member

In what wacky world would Condé Nast get rid of Emmanuelle Alt, and keep what's his name at Vogue Italia??
    I hope this rumor isn't true, because Alt's VP is my fav Vogue, and I've always wanted Madonna to do one of her covers.

Valentine27 likes this.
  13. oaklee91

oaklee91 Active Member

They should have gone straight to Vogue Italia first.

dfl-001 likes this.
  14. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

And when they're finished head straight for the US titles.

lelaid, LoveFashion25, Nomar and 6 others like this.
  15. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

and Farneti? don't tell me VI is selling more than VP now....or even it's more expensive to make....even with all her shortcomings i wouldn't like Alt to go...i think all these editions will become directionless magazines...even if they don't want to have an actual EIC, there should be someone in charge on every edition and to report Edward....

16. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

The last death of a dying company I'd say. Sad...

LoveFashion25 and gunsnroses like this.
  17. violetcai0802

violetcai0802 Member

Ok in additions to all the business and financial motives or whatever it is, I bet Condé Nast think they are clever as hell to take the ‘globalization’ move, thinking that it could fit in the contemporary mass values of so called equality and diversity.

In reality, we have been witnessing in the past and current decade is the violent diminishment of individuality in almost every aspect of society. Now even high fashion could not offer the escapism any more.

Tragic news anyway.

18. Paul Lintag

Paul Lintag Well-Known Member

FARNETI should be fired also. I am hoping it will come true

jjjmmm and gunsnroses like this.
  19. SLFC

SLFC Well-Known Member

The strive for diversity isnt what would cause the problem. It would be the homogenization of each edition. Equality and diversity doesnt take away from the escapism.

slayage and GivenchyAddict like this.
  20. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

We've reached the point where the only thing that matters in magazines is them showing the world they conform to the correct fashions in thought. Everything else is secondary, including the actual fashion. And we have to like what's served up on the pages, or else we're the problem. Diversity of opinion... is not permitted.