Condé Nast to Launch Vogue Hong Kong in Early 2019

Thanks szonline for posting Irina's Vogue Singapore cover.

I used to own some of the Vogue Sinapore covers and I was about to write about when Nancy Pilcher and the Vogue Australian team ran Vogue Singapore and some of the issues that led to its eventual demise, and then I came across this article that did it much more accurately than my memory hahaha -

The covers were really amazing for their time and it was timely, given the surge of popular Asian models (both female and male) at that time. I still remember a Lorraine Pascale cover I owned but I can't find an image for on the net!

As for Vogue Africa - love the earlier idea someone had about a Vogue Beauty Africa, given the highly lucrative commerical beauty industry in the region.

That's precisely my point. I seriously doubt they'll have a unique creative vocabulary or direction like China, Japan or even Thailand. And the budget won't be big either. If you ask me it will most likely be filled with reprints. Even Vogue Japan relies heavily on reprints and they're a defined edition.

I'm sure there will be lots of editorial with local street view mix with runway looks which lots of photographers / magazines in Hong Kong have done. Besides, we( Hong Konger )are heavily influenced by the trend of Korea and Japan, how could they make this a good HK magazine compete with those . I hope they do as you said like Vogue Poland and Czechoslovakia, HK Vogue can be a bit of creative platform for brands, since I think we are lack of this kind of magazine in Hong Kong or Asia. Maybe they could co-operate with the store like JOYCE, Lane Crawford, I.T etc to create some exclusive editorial / stories as they always have some exclusive items in store...but we'll see

Thanks szonline for posting Irina's Vogue Singapore cover.

I used to own some of the Vogue Sinapore covers and I was about to write about when Nancy Pilcher and the Vogue Australian team ran Vogue Singapore and some of the issues that led to its eventual demise, and then I came across this article that did it much more accurately than my memory hahaha -

The Story of Vogue Singapore and Asia's First Supermodels | News | The FMD

Here's the original feature on Vogue Singapore that tells it from a slightly different angle than the medium article.

It's funny how desperate CN looks with all this smaller Vogues popping up everywhere with shared creatives and no idea on how to create longevity.

This is going to be a bloody disaster.

Relationships between Hong Kong and China are horrible. I do see Conde Nast trying to create this version will do more harm than good when comes to China relationship with CN.

It's not wise for CN.

Is this a useless addition to the Vogue Franchise? Absolutely.

Would I welcome it? It depends.

1. It has to be the polar opposite of what Angelica brought upon her magazine — its demise;

2. It has to be less western oriented; and

3. It has to have its OWN identity — if its the Asian interpretation of the Vogue Italia formula, then thank u, next (out now)

Anything less than those would make this new franchise, imo, a nuisance and an utter waste of paper.

I echo what a lot of others say: It has to be very distinct from Vogue China (and to a lesser extent, Vogue Taiwan.) Which isn't an impossible task. Vogue Brazil and Vogue Latinoamerica are very different (technically, Brazil is IN Latin America)

FWIW: I absolutely oppose a Vogue Africa title.

Africa is a giant continent with the most varied and diverse cultures on the entire planet. To create a Vogue title meant for the entire continent would probably come off as pretty insulting, I'm guessing. A Vogue Nigeria, South Africa, or Kenya would probably be better to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaKel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->