Cruising into power position: the 'Forbes' list

pink_lipgloss

Reaction score
1912_cruise_g.jpg

Tom Cruise pips the Rolling Stones and Oprah Winfrey as the most powerful celebrity on the planet, according to Forbes magazine.
Cruise's couching jumping antics — where he infamously and over enthusiastically declared his love for Katie Holmes — and his strange scientology beliefs have not damaged his rating. If anything, it's increased his stock, floating from the number 10 position in 2005 to number one this year on Forbes annual of Celebrity 100 list.

The list attempts to analyse who's wielding the most power in the land of famous faces. As Forbes points out, the list is dominated by "stalwarts", with rockers the Rolling Stones at number two, TV host Oprah Winfrey at number three, Ireland's favourite sons U2 at number four and golfer par excellence Tiger Woods at number five.

Ireland's favourite sons U2 at number four and golfer par excellence Tiger Woods at number five.

As well as taking income into account, Forbes calculated how any web and media references and magazine covers the celebrities had.
One of the newer names on the list includes Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown, who was sued for plagiarism recently, but emerged from the trial victorious. Brown appears in the number 10 spot, while the other most famous author in the world, Harry Potter creator JK Rowling, comes in at number 19.
Heir head Paris Hilton beats her one-time best mate and current rival, Nicole Richie. Paris clocks in at number 56, while Nicole clings to the top 100 in the number 95 position.
That other Nicole, 'Our Nic' Kidman, is at number 38. Her stock went up after becoming the ex-Mrs Cruise. But Katie Holmes, who recently gave birth to Cruise's daughter Suri, has had no such luck in the poll. She's nowhere to be seen.
The other major celeb birth, of course, was that of Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt's, a babe who's destined to become so famous she'll probably be heading the Forbes list before her first birthday. Her dad Brad Pitt sits comfortably in the number 20 spot on the poll. while Shiloh's mum, Angelina Jolie has tied with Pitt's ex, Jennifer Aniston, in the number 35 spot.
Stars on the rise, according to Forbes, include Kiefer Sutherland at number 67, ex-supermodel Tyra Banks at 84, and Hawaiian-born teenage golf sensation Michelle Wie at 74.

Forbes top 25
1. Tom Cruise
2. Rolling Stones
3. Oprah Winfrey
4. U2
5. Tiger Woods
6. Steven Spielberg
7. Howard Stern
8. 50 Cent
9. Cast of The Sopranos
10. Dan Brown
11. Bruce Springsteen
12. Donald Trump
13. Muhammad Ali
14. Paul McCartney
15. George Lucas
16. Elton John
17. David Letterman
18. Phil Mickelson
19. JK Rowling
20. Brad Pitt
21. Peter Jackson
22. Dr Phil McGraw
23. Jay Leno
24. Celine Dion
25. Kobe Bryant

ninemsn.com.au

It's based on buzz and money made this year, and there's no denying that Tom Cruise has clout. It sounds right to me.

DAMNIT. I was fervently hoping all his movies would tank and he'd disappear for good.

Haha, J.K. Rowling made the list because she has the world's children at her beck and call. Pied Piper :magic:

I cant believe fiddy cent is number 8??? What did he do to make that much $$?

^ Maybe it was his film...? And doesn't he have a clothing line?

U2 at number 4. Amazing they're still at the top like that... rich men they are...

is someone at forbes secretly a scientologist?

mi:3 didn't do so well, and yeah, tom cruise is crazeee

5. Tiger Woods
Golf. That exciting sport, popular worldwide.

Next thing you know, English magazines will be calling Jimmy White the most powerful celeb in the world, closely followed by the pub darts champion...

I don't know about the most powerful, but Tom Cruise is definitely the most terrifying celebrity. :shock:

That List is strictly arbitrary. If it wasnt, Oprah or Steven Spielberg would be #1 year after year

I never knew that Forbes was little better than a tabloid. I used to think it was a serious magazine

fashionista-ta said:
Me neither, but what about operating the sonogram machine? :lol:
Referencing Mr. Powerful's prenatal predilections? I cannot comment as I haven't reached Clear yet. Everytime I pick up the two little cans, the batteries fritz out on the e-meter. Then the auditor sent me to Walgreens for AAs but I got AAAs instead, and another auditor locked me in a room for week. Seems he thought the little note saying "get AAs" meant "attempted abortion". I grant you, after that week of contemplation, life seemed rather vague and unreal to me. Which was another wrong answer. I don't think Mr. Ichiban Forbes would let me near any machine or the canapes after that. But I do get to clean the toilets.

I could operate the sonogram machine for the Forbes party, like, as a security measure? I've done metal-detector wand detail at a Jay-Z show...you think that'd be good enough? What could we detect in the bodies of the powerful with that, do you think?....*read over list of names above an insert another paragraph. I'm leaning towards the contents of either Bono's or Muhammed Ali's heads, myself*.... As long as they don't send me out for batteries, sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the scariest things on the list is the fact that #7 made over $300 mil last year

arlekindearrabal said:
is someone at forbes secretly a scientologist?

mi:3 didn't do so well, and yeah, tom cruise is crazeee

Exactly...what I was thinking. :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonHansen100
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->