Cushnie (formerly Cushnie et Ochs) has shut down business.

kenndale

Reaction score
Carly Cushnie, chief executive officer and creative director of Cushnie, the women’s ready-to-wear and bridal brand, has decided to shut down her business, the latest victim of COVID-19 and the difficult retail environment.

In a letter to the media Wednesday, Cushnie said the fashion and retail landscape has become “increasingly challenging over the years” for designers.

“While my brand has persevered through unending headwinds, the effects of COVID-19 have hurt my business beyond repair, and it is with great sadness that I share Cushnie will be closing its doors,” the letter read. Pre-fall is the last collection produced and shipped.

According to sources, Cushnie’s business generated over $10 million .

Read the full story below.

Carly Cushnie Closes Her Designer Business – WWD

I must say I for the most part enjoyed their collections, sad to see them go. I wonder what is next for Cushnie. Anyone know what Ochs has been up to since she left the brand?

Sad to see an independent, black owned fashion brand, succumb to this terrible virus.

Oh wow, this is terrible news! I feel for her because she poured her blood, sweat, and tears into this. Plus her parents invested in the business to get it off the ground.

The fact that pre-fall is her last collection is what's wrong with the fashion system. A brand like Cushnie should not be doing pre-fall collections! It's terrible that she had to do that in order to stay in tune with the bigger houses who can afford to bankroll these supplement collections.

It's really sad and I think what it is sad is the fact that I never felt she got the recognition she deserved.
Like Benn said, a brand like that did not need pre-collections. You would think that all those designers coming up would learn from Alaia...

Maybe it's an unjustified rant but I feel like the people claiming on the internet and in discussions the support of black owned brands/designers kinda failed, once again another talented black designer. There's a massive outrage and support when it's time to hold the big brands accountable but when it's time to support, buy, push for those smaller voices...Suddenly, it's whispers.

The American fashion industry and it business model are going to suffer the most. I think she is talented enough to exist elsewhere, maybe as a consultant for now.

It's really sad and I think what it is sad is the fact that I never felt she got the recognition she deserved.
Like Benn said, a brand like that did not need pre-collections. You would think that all those designers coming up would learn from Alaia...

Maybe it's an unjustified rant but I feel like the people claiming on the internet and in discussions the support of black owned brands/designers kinda failed, once again another talented black designer. There's a massive outrage and support when it's time to hold the big brands accountable but when it's time to support, buy, push for those smaller voices...Suddenly, it's whispers.

The American fashion industry and it business model are going to suffer the most. I think she is talented enough to exist elsewhere, maybe as a consultant for now.
It's disheartening to see talented designers like Alaia not receive the recognition they deserve, especially considering the immense influence they have had on the industry. The lack of support for black-owned brands and designers, despite the vocal advocacy for accountability in larger brands, highlights a concerning gap in the fashion community.

It's disheartening to see talented designers like Alaia not receive the recognition they deserve, especially considering the immense influence they have had on the industry. The lack of support for black-owned brands and designers, despite the vocal advocacy for accountability in larger brands, highlights a concerning gap in the fashion community.
Alaia got the respect he deserved. I don’t know much on how he is viewed in America but here in France, he is up there with the greatest. Highly respected in his field and highly connected in political and artistic spaces.

I have, tbh, always been quite uncomfortable with the constant seek of approval from big brands. It’s Ok to start small and grow but what is really important is to nurture a relationship with clients.
Designers are supported by their clients and the problem regarding black American designers is that, there’s a very performative kind of support. It’s very social media driven. Ozwald Boateng made a name for himself and disrupted the Savile Row space. Imane Ayissi is a Couturier in Paris. Before them, Arabs designers made a name for themselves thanks to their clients. Azzedine Alaia build a private clientele of rich women before being an international star. They were supported by people BUYING!

Zuhair Murad and Elie Saab clients supported them. Elie Saab started showing in Italy from Beirut, before coming to Paris and working hard to be recognized as a household name, while overcoming the stigmas around Arab fashion.

When we talk about supporting a designer, people sometimes forget that, spending money on their clothes is the only answer. A lot of designers don’t get opportunities.

I buy Tongoro by Sarah Diouf quite regularly for example. I love her clothes and she is a French/Senegalese designer. I know my responsibility when I’m buying her stuff compared to when I’m buying Nicolas Ghesquiere. She is black, she is independent. She will never get the big job but she can make her brand her big job.

Martine Rose, Grace Bonner and others. There are a lot of talents. Even if they don’t get the big jobs, they have the real support that matters and not the performative one from IG.

I think it’s something people needs to learn. I’m sure Carly is a consultant somewhere but it’s a pity really.

However is see that someone like Laquan Smith is having that kind of real support Carly could have benefited from. He is keeping his operations really small (no precollections), nurturing his clientele, working with big industry names who elevates his brand. He will not get a big job probably. But it doesn’t matter because he can be his big job.

The part that I'm the most salty about is what her ex-partner, Michelle Ochs, did after the brand closed. She launched her own line called "Et Ochs" and is now the CD of Herve Leger.
Alaia got the respect he deserved. I don’t know much on how he is viewed in America but here in France, he is up there with the greatest. Highly respected in his field and highly connected in political and artistic spaces.

I have, tbh, always been quite uncomfortable with the constant seek of approval from big brands. It’s Ok to start small and grow but what is really important is to nurture a relationship with clients.
Designers are supported by their clients and the problem regarding black American designers is that, there’s a very performative kind of support. It’s very social media driven. Ozwald Boateng made a name for himself and disrupted the Savile Row space. Imane Ayissi is a Couturier in Paris. Before them, Arabs designers made a name for themselves thanks to their clients. Azzedine Alaia build a private clientele of rich women before being an international star. They were supported by people BUYING!

Zuhair Murad and Elie Saab clients supported them. Elie Saab started showing in Italy from Beirut, before coming to Paris and working hard to be recognized as a household name, while overcoming the stigmas around Arab fashion.

When we talk about supporting a designer, people sometimes forget that, spending money on their clothes is the only answer. A lot of designers don’t get opportunities.

I buy Tongoro by Sarah Diouf quite regularly for example. I love her clothes and she is a French/Senegalese designer. I know my responsibility when I’m buying her stuff compared to when I’m buying Nicolas Ghesquiere. She is black, she is independent. She will never get the big job but she can make her brand her big job.

Martine Rose, Grace Bonner and others. There are a lot of talents. Even if they don’t get the big jobs, they have the real support that matters and not the performative one from IG.

I think it’s something people needs to learn. I’m sure Carly is a consultant somewhere but it’s a pity really.

However is see that someone like Laquan Smith is having that kind of real support Carly could have benefited from. He is keeping his operations really small (no precollections), nurturing his clientele, working with big industry names who elevates his brand. He will not get a big job probably. But it doesn’t matter because he can be his big job.
Azzedine Alaia was quite revered in the industry. His "downfall" only really came from the fact that his stopped holding seasonal shows in favour of a more customer-facing model. Despite that relative obscurity, his label thrived commercially, because of the brand's mix of minimal operations and strong retail networks.

Martine Rose, Grace Bonner and Laquan Smith are quite similar to Alaia in the way that they walk to the beat of the own drum. They might not attract appointements at big brands (I don't think they're interested in London and New York's designers anyway), but they could definitely build respectable brands of their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darvesh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->