Deborah Turbeville - Photographer

:(

FAREWELL DEBORAH TURBERVILLE
THURSDAY • OCTOBER 24, 2013

MAREK AND ASSOCIATES IS DEEPLY SADDENED BY THE PROFOUND LOSS OF AN EXTRAORDINARY ARTIST AND FRIEND, DEBORAH TURBERVILLE.
DEBORAH LOST HER VALIANT BATTLE WITH LUNG CANCER IN THE EARLY HOURS OF OCTOBER 24TH 2013.
REST IN PEACE DEBORAH. WE WILL MISS YOU.
marekandassociates.com/newsletter/?p=4761

may her rest in peace, her astonishing works will always remain in our minds.

May she RIP. I only really begun to appreciate her works relatively recently but I have to say that some of them will definitely stay on my mind for decades to come, no doubt.

:cry: RIP, she was a great talent! She has an amazing collection of work she has left behind for others to enjoy.

I was so sad to hear about Deborah's passing. May she rest in peace. :(

Valentino Boutique S/S 1978
US Vogue March 1978

Photo Deborah Turbeville
Models Sara Kapp & Unknown

My scans

Last edited:
US Vogue May 1984
Beauty & Health | Personal Reflections: Fragrance—Its Silent Dialogue Explored

Photo Deborah Turbeville, Horst P. Horst
Model Nastassja Kinski
Hair Edward Tricomi
Makeup Anne Marie Barthelemy
Nails Elizabeth Drabinski

vogue archive

Last edited:
US Vogue February 1984
The New York Collections | At Night: The Allure of the Body in Barer, Sparer Dresses...

Photo Deborah Turbeville
Model Kim Williams
Hair Edward Tricomi
Makeup Rumiko Hirose

vogue archive

Last edited:
US Vogue December 1985
Emanuel Ungaro

Photo Deborah Turbeville
By Holly Brubach
Models Anh Duong, Marie-Sophie Wilson, Rosima Dominguez
Hair Edward Tricomi
Makeup Cindy Joseph

vogue archive

Last edited:
Thanks for all your beautiful scans. This is a classic edit, and wasn't it controversial? I think some people thought it made reference to Holocaust gas chambers :blink:

Thanks for all your beautiful scans. This is a classic edit, and wasn't it controversial? I think some people thought it made reference to Holocaust gas chambers :blink:

for real?? :blink: ... :doh:
people should stop over-thinking/reading things. it can lead to nervous breakdown... :ninja:

EDIT-OMG, you're right
In Turbeville's case she had transgressed simply by attempting to do what fashion photographers for Vogue were supposed to. 'Mr Liberman (Alexander, the creative director of Conde Nast then the art director of American Vogue) had asked me to do some swimsuits. It must have been my third year as a photographer. He said, 'You can handle groups of people. Take five girls. Make the pictures very strong.' We were supposed to shoot them in Peru, but there were problems there, so he said, 'Do it in the studio, make a set, do it in New York'.

'I'd always been interested in old bath-houses and I found this one that was closed and condemned and did the pictures there. I didn't expect them to cause trouble. But I guess when Mr Liberman and the people at Vogue saw them, I suppose there was something strange. They were kind of dreary . . . I think the thing was, people just coudn't imagine why, why you'd do it there, like that.'

The picture she's talking about is one of the most famous fashion photographs of the last 50 years. Five Twiggy-era girls with Biba made-up faces (two blondes, two brunettes, one black girl) are posed laconically around a damp-tiled chamber with enormous old-fashioned metal sluice taps fixed to the wall at waist height. Two girls are on the floor, one looking distinctly stoned; the central figure is reaching up, her hands stretched over her head as if hanging from a bar just cropped from the top of the picture, her legs splayed wide pushing her groin suggestively forward.

Turbeville swears innocence, but, as she told Martin Harrison, for Appearances, his book about fashion photography published in 1991: 'People started talking about Auschwitz and lesbians and drugs. And all I was doing was trying to design five figures in space.'
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/fashion--last-tango-in-paris-1457295.html

that's sad to know she's gone. she was really an underrated fashion photographer. or maybe just more discreet than other. i don't know.
and i do remember i was sad that most fashion magazines and stuff didn't do that much when she died.
she is gonna be missed for her romantic and poetic view.

she really deserves a retrospective exhibition and catalogue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently it was shot in a traditional Russian-style bathhouse which slightly resembled gas chambers. I can see how the black and white images might recall (black and white) photos of gas chambers. So weird :lol:

US Vogue December 1985
Themes and Variations: Expressions of a Unique Style of Ungaro

Photo Deborah Turbeville, Irving Penn
Models Anh Duong, Marie-Sophie Wilson, Rosima Dominguez
Hair Edward Tricomi
Makeup Cindy Joseph

vogue archive

Last edited:
US Vogue December 1983
New Choices, New Delights Pt. 1

Photo Deborah Turbeville, Bill King, Jim Varriale, Lothar Schmid, Arthur Elgort, Horst P, Horst
Models Inès de la Fressange, Renée Simonsen, Betty Prado, Jill Goodacre, Liddie Holt, Hunter Reno
Hair Rick Gillette, Garren, Ezel, Christiaan, Lewis Alonzo
Makeup Rick Gillette, Albert Fava, Rumiko Hirose, Linda Mason

vogue archive

Last edited:
I got her book "The Fashion Pictures" for my birthday recently and I was very moved, all the photographs are breathtaking, I could not recommend it enough! Her "imperfect" quality of her film photographs on how they were developed resonated a lot of emotion within me.

^Good call, Razzer! The Fashion Pictures is a beautiful collection of Turbeville's photo!

Olga Di Grecia

Editorial from Vogue Italia July 2010

Photographers: Deborah Turbeville
Hair Stylists: Christian Eberhard
Fashion Editors: Robert Rabensteiner
Makeup Artists: Pierre Orlando

from myfdb.com

from vogue.it

Vogue Italia June 2010

Photographer: Deborah Turbeville
Makeup Artist: Pierre Orlando
Fashion Editor: Robert Rabensteiner