Depeche Mode

Kimkhuu said:
i need to give them a try, never ever listened to their music.... :blush:

I would give their greatest hits, '85-'98, a try first. I think that's a great compilation of their best work.

Oh,thanks for the heads up Erin. Love DM dearly!!! :heart:

i agree...
they are really good live...
dave gahan has huge charisma and presence on stage...

having said that...
i hgave been bored by them for years....
and i saw the latest video...
it was probably the most boring one yet...
:ermm:...
:ninja:

i'll stick with the classic stuff...
early early depress mode...*ahem*...i mean depeche mode...:innocent:...
:lol:...
back when vince clarke was still in the band...
*vince clarke went on to do the assembly, yaz(oo) and erasure...:flower:
people are people...
master and servant...
everything counts...
get the balance right...
blasphemous rumours...
etc, etc...

pure genius...music with a social conscience...
great band!!!...
:heart:...

i recommend 'catching up with depeche mode'...
everything up until 1985...
it was all downhill after black celebration as far as i am concerned...
they just went completely commercial and mainstream...

I always loved the drama in their music in the 80's and early 90's....it's still one of the most distinct sounds...ever. And such a rare quality(only ones I can think of who carry that feeling are totally underrated compared with what they were doing back then-PJ Harvey,Nick Cave + Goldfrapp),even today, and they always did it without sounding pretentious and whiney like some of today's so-called artist's.

I am going to post this and then duck and run for cover to avoid any harm...

I can't stand Depeche Mode! :ninja:

^ Well, then I'll post this, and then duck and run...

Most people who say they can't stand a band have not listened to all of their material. But, eh, everybody has their opinions.

Softgrey, I agree with you on how you said that their most recent material has been boring. But I'm sticking to my guns, and saying that their 90's work was their best... in my eyes... :wink:

FYI: They're going to be doing a sit-in on VH1 Classic's "Hangin' With" Sunday.

bleuFunk said:
I am going to post this and then duck and run for cover to avoid any harm...

I can't stand Depeche Mode! :ninja:
Depeche Mode are variable. A lot of the songs on their albums are filler, which is why they work best on compilation discs that cut out the crap. They're a lesser favorite of mine and they definitely have a handful of really good songs (personal jesus, enjoy the silence, behind the wheel, never let me down again, stripped), but I generally see them as a more superficial, less talented version of Joy Division.

Erin said:
^ Well, then I'll post this, and then duck and run...

Most people who say they can't stand a band have not listened to all of their material. But, eh, everybody has their opinions.

Fair enough. I don't think listening to any more of their material would change my opinion, but i definitely respect everyone's opinions. :flower: I just personally find them mopey.

But there are lots of cool artists out there whose appeal i don't get even though i know i should. For example, i've tried over & over to like The Replacements. I know i should like them because there are so many things i like that lead right to them. And i have to say, i've heard nearly their whole catalog. I even have 3 or 4 CDs, but when i put them on i scratch my head.

marqueemoon said:
Depeche Mode are variable. A lot of the songs on their albums are filler, which is why they work best on compilation discs that cut out the crap. They're a lesser favorite of mine and they definitely have a handful of really good songs (personal jesus, enjoy the silence, behind the wheel, never let me down again, stripped), but I generally see them as a more superficial, less talented version of Joy Division.

DM songs are fillers????? :shock: It's obvious that you haven't seen them palying live....

DM a version of Joy Division? :blink: I think they are one of the few who can have any claims on originality of sound and production....

melt977 said:
DM songs are fillers????? :shock: It's obvious that you haven't seen them palying live....

DM a version of Joy Division? :blink: I think they are one of the few who can have any claims on originality of sound and production....

I said there's a lot of crap between the good stuff on their albums, which is why I prefer their best of collection.

I'm not saying that they copied Joy Division, or vice versa, just that they have a similar sound -- which is pretty obvious. I can't help but compare them and personally I find Joy Division to have more depth, but I like both.

marqueemoon said:
I said there's a lot of crap between the good stuff on their albums, which is why I prefer their best of collection.

I disagree with that strongly although I do respect your opinion marqueemon...

I've just got 'black celebration', haven't listened to it yet...what do people think of it?

melt977 said:
Oh! You will be doing your self a favour if you go!!!!
You can never imagine what you'll see if you haven't seen them in concert!!!! Not just by listening to their albums.... They are one of the best bands I've seen live (and I've seen too many:blush: ).... Once you catch them live you will realise why they are one of the biggest, greatest bands rocking our days! THEY F******G ROCK! Go see them and let us know!!!!

(I'm flying to London next April just for them!)
Well, I've seen them twice before, and I am a little turned off by the fact that now there are only three of them. I really like as much un-synthesized stuff as possible, and not having Alan Wilder on the drums is a big hole. I hate drum machines...

Agree with Soft, Dave Gahan is incredibly charismatic on stage, but... he is getting older

Last edited by a moderator:
fab_fifties_fille said:
I've just got 'black celebration', haven't listened to it yet...what do people think of it?
"death is everywhere...there are flys on the windscreen"...

:ninja:...

*:lol:...that is the last relevant album imo...
it all went downhill from there...
you got a good one...

but i REALLY recommend 'catching up with depeche mode...'
nothing like it in this world...
you could also check out 'people are people' because it has 'everything counts' which is a phenomenal song...
:flower:...

Ahh marvellous :D 'I've got a good one'
I'll add the others to by 'must have albums' list soft, thanks :flower:

One of the best IMO... Try "violator" too if you like....:flower:

I've been to all their concerts and I CAN'T WAIT for this one.. already have my ticket.. DEC 1.. YAY!
I swear I know all their songs by heart!

softgrey said:
"death is everywhere...there are flys on the windscreen"...

:ninja:...

*:lol:...that is the last relevant album imo...
it all went downhill from there...
you got a good one...

but i REALLY recommend 'catching up with depeche mode...'
nothing like it in this world...
you could also check out 'people are people' because it has 'everything counts' which is a phenomenal song...
:flower:...

dearest Softie.. how could you forget music for the masses and especially VIOLATOR!! c'mon you know we would have DM nights if we lived in the same city.. :innocent: :woot:

what's on those albums andora?...
isn't music for the masses earlier as well?...
i just like the early stuff much better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->