design your own messenger bag using the golden ratio

.francesca

about to fall or fly
Reaction score
i wasn't 100% sure where to put this, but i figure since this guy designs/designed a few different styles of messenger bag, and used a really interesting theory to do it (golden ratio) it might work here.

http://eeio.blogspot.com/2004/12/recycled-banner-golden-mean-messenger.html

here is the introduction:

so it was time to make a messenger bag. once confronted with the design issue i looked around in the web but couldn't find anything that specific. well, a lot of bags i'd like to have and some features worth trying. in one visit to the kitchen Jimmy showed me his bags and the things he liked about them, one from chrome and one from P.A.C designs. i definitely like those chromes too. i drew a crude sketch of the chrome with a sharpie on a postal envelope i found and stuffed it in my pocket. then, that night, i took a sketch book and a pencil and an internet enabled computer and drew a first proposal for the pattern. i wanted to use the golden ratio (if you don't know about it check out this introduction) in the design so i watched this animation i like a lot about the fibonacci sequence a couple of times and visited a couple of sites about the golden ratio. you know, the thing is everywhere, body, art, nature, literature, corporate logos. so, i thought, messenger bags, why not? there is no guarantee that something based on the "divine proportion" is going to be pleasing to the eye, or magically entwined with the nature of the cosmos. but for me it served as a starting point. an interesting starting point. i began with a simple 3x5 rectangle (any rectangle built with consecutive numbers of the fibonacci sequence approximates a golden rectangle) that would be the shape of the bag when closed. to see it open, i made an equal rectangle on top. the location of pockets and flaps was determined by the unit (1). and hence the central pocket would be a golden rectangle as well:

he goes on and tries like, 5 different versions of the golden ratio, including a pentagram shape, to create the most aesthetically pleasing, yet comfortable, messenger bag. my boyfriend and i have been wanting to make our own for some time and this might be a good place to start.

:heart: f

cool, thanks for the pose, i haven't read thorugnt the whole thing, but somehow the ration part is different form what i though (for the rectangle one)

i quite like it but then admiting to be a major messenger victim here
his fastening ways are tres cool, very utility chic

thanks for bringing this in francesca :flower:

no problem lena! i love messenger bags...that's not a bad thing! i think i own 5 timbuk2 bags or something. they're so handy, and can be really, really beautiful! and aesthetically appealing, as our guy here might have discovered.

:heart:

That was an awesome link! I think I'm goign to make one that has a desert camo pattern and fits tighter so I can wear it out in the desert when making beer runs on dirt bikes. I seriously love this, I need to find someone who can sew...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->