Designer Knockoffs for Katrina Victims

Hipkitten

Diamond
Reaction score
WASHINGTON -- The Yves St. Laurent and Tommy Hilfiger labels may be phony, but the thousands of Hurricane Katrina victims getting knockoff items seized by federal customs officials probably don't mind.

Displaced survivors in the Houston Astrodome can choose from counterfeit and abandoned clothing, toys, and even dog food.
More than 100,000 items were quickly taken from warehouses and more will follow, said Kristi Clemens, spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection division.

The agency has some 1 million items stored, and Customs officials are going through their inventory to see what else would be useful. While the initial shipment went to Texas, officials are looking toward a wider distribution, Clemens said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-katrina-knockoffs,1,5479047.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

Thats actually a really good idea of helping people and doing something with clothing that otherwise wouldn't be used

This is beyond ridiculous. I think that what the label says is the last concern of the people affected by Katrina. They need clothes to keep them warm- I highly doubt any of them care if those rags are designer or counterfeit!

:clap: FINALLY, a good use for them! That's awesome ^_^

Thanks HipKitten :wink:

Curious said:
:clap: FINALLY, a good use for them! That's awesome ^_^

Thanks HipKitten :wink:

That's what I thought! I'm glad they're finding a positive use for these otherwise "negative" items :D

For once I don't have a problem with counterfit goods, but I do agree with you Happiness about what the designers might have to say about this.

I'm sure designers are more than happy that knockoffs of their original designs are going to a good cause

Meg said:
I'm sure designers are more than happy that knockoffs of their original designs are going to a good cause

Totally! Good publicity for them as well, believe it or not! :ninja:

And it's all for a good cause so I wouldn't see how they could be against it!

OMG, just imagine the humiliation of dressing in counterfeit Tommy Hilfiger!

:shock:

Couldn't resist, sorry... :P

I think it's great that stuff like this can actually be put to good use for once instead of simply being destroyed!

I hope they get some fake Rolexes and LV bags to accessorize with! :P

Seriously, I am just glad that things are being done for those who lost so much. And I agree with Meg, the designers should be happy as well.

I think this is good news - who cares if it's designer knockoffs or not?

In this instance, the survivors need all the help they can get and I am glad that they are at least getting clothes that they need to keep warm :smile:

Hipkitten said:
WASHINGTON -- The Yves St. Laurent and Tommy Hilfiger labels may be phony, but the thousands of Hurricane Katrina victims getting knockoff items seized by federal customs officials probably don't mind.

Displaced survivors in the Houston Astrodome can choose from counterfeit and abandoned clothing, toys, and even dog food.
More than 100,000 items were quickly taken from warehouses and more will follow, said Kristi Clemens, spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection division.

The agency has some 1 million items stored, and Customs officials are going through their inventory to see what else would be useful. While the initial shipment went to Texas, officials are looking toward a wider distribution, Clemens said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-katrina-knockoffs,1,5479047.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

Finally, the government does something right :D I can imagine some of the more surly designers being upset about this, but if they are, they won't dare say so B) Perhaps Karl would like to send along some of the H&M in larger sizes he stowed away :ninja:

thats really resourceful. its a great idea, using stuff thats already there

oanadobre said:
This is beyond ridiculous. I think that what the label says is the last concern of the people affected by Katrina. They need clothes to keep them warm- I highly doubt any of them care if those rags are designer or counterfeit!

ditto, as if those people care about designer or not at the moment
as if i care how the ysl ot tommy companies feel.. companies dont 'feel' anything after all.
i just wish they dont use this for publicity because i'll get sick :angry:

this katrina situation is so beyond control and will affect everyone's life on this planet.. its much more serious than people think..

btw, see how well the Japanese delt with their own typhoon yesterday.. 'the butterfly' hurricane at category 4 was almost as strong as Katrina, hey were very well prepared, with soldier and emergency teams in hand days before the hurricane hit

only lost around 4 people, which under the circumstances sounds very reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->