Duleeshab

wiser now
Reaction score
Diaz fights snapper

From correspondents in Los Angeles
July 14, 2005

0,10114,5026690,00.jpg
Court battle ... Diaz is fighting a snapper over topless pictures / AFP

CAMERON Diaz will testify today against a photographer who filmed her in a p*rn*gr*ph*c video.

Diaz, one of Hollywood's leading actresses, made the film She's No Angel in 1992, before she was famous and alleges photographer John Rutter tried to extort $4.3 million from her, in return for not releasing the pictures and video.

The Something About Mary and Charlie's Angels star is expected to tell the court Rutter forged her signature on a release form, allowing him to distribute the video and pictures.

Rutter, who has denied forging the model release, could face up to six years in prison if convicted.

His lawyer Mark Werksman said Rutter was "guilty of being a nice guy" for giving Diaz the first opportunity to buy the photos which had been taken in a 1992 session in which "she was willing to literally expose herself in order to gain that exposure."

Werksman said the case against Rutter was about "a rich and powerful movie star ... seeking to crush and destroy John Rutter" and "forever bury" embarrassing photographs.

Rutter is charged with attempted grand theft, perjury and forgery. His lawyer said he expected the jury to be 'star struck' by Diaz's evidence.

"I imagine they'll hang on every word Ms Diaz says," Mark Werksman said.

"It's certainly not going to be a run of the mill criminal case." Mr Werksman claims Diaz approached Rutter in 1992 and acted in the video and posed for pictures to raise her profile.

"The whole purpose of the photo shoot was that she wanted to gain exposure as a model internationally," he said.

Two years later, Diaz starred with Jim Carrey in movie The Mask and has since become one of the highest paid actress in Hollywood.

In 2003, when Diaz was earning up to $26 million a film, Mr Werksman said Rutter told her he would sell the photographs back to her for $4.3 million. "He was just trying to do the decent thing," Mr Werksman said.

"If he had gone ahead and simply sold the photographs to the highest bidder, we wouldn't be here." Rutter faces up to five years in prison if found guilty.

Diaz has also filed a civil suit seeking damages against Rutter that is scheduled for trial in October.

Meanwhile, The Daily Star in London reports Diaz has turned down the role of Wonder Woman because she wants to be taken more seriously as an actress.

Diaz reportedly refused to even look at the script for the crime fighting femme fatale. - with Reuters

news.com.au

T4P. :flower:

Lol @ Cameron 'supposedly' even being asked to play Wonder Woman.

hasn't she been fighting him for like three years? i'd rather she fight her acne.

lunabella said:
hasn't she been fighting him for like three years? i'd rather she fight her acne.

Burn! :lol:

This whole thing is ridiculous. . .so she did a soft core "p*rn" years ago. . .who cares? I mean, it's not like she is some wholesome star to begin with anyway. . .if it was Hilary Duff (who I know, I know is underage) or something then I'd understand.

How I look at it... is that stuff is free game. She did it, so now, unfortunately, she has to pay the price for it. That is, if HE didn't do anything illegal.

Who cares, she has mosquito bites, and from what Ive seen of her in a bikini I think clothes are best.

important lesson for all the gutter press, may the highest bidder make themselves heard!

She did the shoot, he should have just sold them. *shrugs*

Harsh, but fair I think.

An update on this story, for those interested:

From CNN:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Two forensic experts have testified that a signature on a model release form involving topless photos of Cameron Diaz appeared to be forged, using an autographed publicity photo of the actress.

Photographer John Rutter is accused of trying to blackmail Diaz over the pictures he took in 1992, before she was famous, and attempted to sell back to her in 2003 for $3.5 million, before her film "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" was released.

Forensic document examiner Bruce Greenwood, who has analyzed copies of Diaz's writings, testified Monday that the signature on the release form appeared to be forged.

He also testified that the signature on the publicity photo of Diaz and "Feeling Minnesota" co-star Keanu Reeves was a fake.

Greenwood said he noted certain letters in Diaz's name were "slanted completely different" from the handwriting samples that he had received from her.

Diaz testified last week that Rutter told her if she didn't buy the photos, he could sell them for $5 million to buyers he said would use them to portray her as a "bad angel."

Prosecutors said Rutter allegedly showed Diaz the release form when he tried to blackmail her and the actress said it wasn't her signature.

Forensic expert George Reis, who worked for the Newport Beach Police Department for 15 years, also said Diaz's signature was forged and that it appeared the publicity photo was used to make the forgery.

Rutter, 42, is charged with attempted grand theft for the alleged blackmail scheme, forgery for the signature on the form and perjury for declaring in a separate civil case that the signature was authentic. If convicted, he could face up to six years in prison. An extortion charge has been dropped.

His defense lawyer has suggested Diaz wanted to suppress photos that could damage her career.

Diaz, 32, is suing Rutter in civil court. A judge has issued a permanent injunction prohibiting Rutter from distributing the photos.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/19/people.cameron.diaz.ap/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->