Dior Men F/W 2020.21 by Steven Meisel

Benn98

Reaction score
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Melanie Ward
Hair: Guido Palau
Makeup: Pat McGrath
Cast: Lucas El Bali, Ludwig Wilsdorff, Patrick Waldron, Thatcher Thornton, Malick Bodian, Otto Nahmmacher, Jecardi Sykes

WWD

It looks like he's taken the MGC route of making depressing and boring campaigns. What a waste.

Looks like a dated D&G campaign circa mid 2000s

I loved this collection. High luxury, smart tailoring, beautiful color palette. So why is the campaign so dull and lifeless? Was there no art direction?

Season after season... what a waste of Steven Meisel.

Flatter than MGC campaigns and totally cheesy with that background. Happy that Melanie Ward is getting them big LVMH euros.

Looks like a dated D&G campaign circa mid 2000s
I know exactly what you mean, and I can see it. There was one season in particular (2004, I’m almost certain) that did look super-slick, and I wish Meisel would’ve tapped into that visual prowess to create this image. But alias, here we are: a photogenic collection with a flat-as-flick ad campaign.

All the Kim Jones campaigns with Meisel, even at Vuitton, have the same composition. While I get the sense of consistency, it’s not really inspiring or elevating.
The collection and the set had a very cinematic feel and this is very lookbook oriented.
It’s beautiful but not memorable.

Jones' campaigns for Dior are always a turnoff for me. This one is so bland it makes me uncomfortable. And it's a far cry from the aforementioned D&G 2004 campaign I think...

6a40bbde-s.jpg

blog.livedoor.jp/rememberemember/archives/27133840.html

These clothes looked sooo much better in motion on the runway, he's doing a disservice by such a flat image. What was even the direction given to the models? "Stand around, look bored"

Jones' campaigns for Dior are always a turnoff for me. This one is so bland it makes me uncomfortable. And it's a far cry from the aforementioned D&G 2004 campaign I think...

6a40bbde-s.jpg

blog.livedoor.jp/rememberemember/archives/27133840.html

There's something sexy about the D&G ones. This one's a flop.

The blue and grey is a nice combo but the content is very flat. Most likely the mood of the shoot.

I loved the collection but this campaign just fall flat, like every campaign Kim did for Dior. I guess it goes in tandem with the blandness of MGC’s campaign… talk about unified branding.

Every time I see a new Dior men campaign I wonder how much influence Meisel has on its final look. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression that we blame Kim Jones too much. With all of Steven'a great works in mind I find it hard to believe that his role comes down to just standing behind the camera and clicking the button.

Call me Meisel stan but I love it! Much better than the mess of last season.

And it's a far cry from the aforementioned D&G 2004 campaign I think...
Yep, that's exactly the one I had in mind. There was this image, plus another one w/ the models in more casual fare, and if I remember correctly, all of them in head-to-toe black suits.

In those images from that season, my eyes really did have to travel. It all was just an all-around asethetically pleasing campaign.

This time, if I were to see the pictures in a glossy magazine, my eyes would just want to travel to the next page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->