Dior Men F/W 2020.21 Paris

To me, he's probably the best creative director at a maison right now. Even for most part of his tenure at Vuitton, his collections excel at delivering desirable merchandise for a younger global audience, as well as a strong fashion message for the more highbrow clientele. Not many out there are succeeding at it (his womenswear colleague is a prime example). And his shows are always perfect: styling, casting, set, music...

Loved the Judy Blame inspiration here. Really gave a decadent spirit to it, it kinda looks like what I expected to see at Dries Van Noten. Really gorgeous.

He deserves to be at Dior, which is hard to say for a lot of people at Paris Fashion houses today. Even if I am not into what he does some seasons, it’s clear he lives Dior and does his best to honor the brand.

Although Kim's Dior is too polished for me, I appreciate what he is doing there most of the time. In just a few seasons he has managed to carve out a distinct image, and the clothes are great for a variety of customers.

As for this collection in particular, I love the embroidery and the taffeta swing coats. I doubt I'd ever wear them, but they're perhaps for a man I'd like to be friends with.

His style is very distinctive. It's sharp, crisp, and luxurious. I'd call it close to perfect. With that being said, it's missing warmth and a human touch. It needs to be a little messed up to take it to the next level. I'd rather it not feel so manufactured.

I just don’t get the appeal of this look....and it’s so prevalent in menswear now...from so many brands....

It’s this really fussy, dweeby, faux-insouciance, with everything looking brand-spanking-new, self-consciously luxurious, and always with goofy pops of color...it’s weird.

Nothing looks grown up. Nothing looks real. Nothing looks masculine. And that’s not even to mention how decidedly unsexy it all is.
But wait...over in the Dries thread, didn't you say all the menswear shows all look the same, same, same? I can't think of any other menswear show that looks like Dries..or this show for that matter, so I'm not seeing either of their looks being particulary prevalent in the menswear arena right now. Of course, I'm not paying much attention to many menswear shows these days, so there's that.

And nothing looks grown up, real, or masculine? Hmmm, in this case, where's the "boy" in this collection? In the non-existent hoodies, maybe?

This stuff all looks like clothing that was designed by a grown man, for a grown man...and it also looks incredibly expensive, which is exactly what I'd expect from a label like Dior.

God, I never thought I'd be defending a Christian Dior menswear collection...Um, 2020 vision, maybe?

^^^ It’s not anything new at all. Once the clever Judy Blame-esque styling is removed from the equation, the separates are admittedly very elegant grown-up menswear. But it's also pieces that can easily be cobbled together with existing Sarah’s McQueen menswear, older Dries, older Lucas’ Lanvin and older Prada. A/W 2020 Ferragamo’s offering is so much stronger— and it’s not relied on clever styling tricks.

Kim’s always been reliably middle-of-the-road, and it’s really the prestigious labels he worked for that pushes his mediocrity to the higher end. And in this case, it’s the styling and very tightly edited showing that's going the illusion of something fresh. But we’ve seen it all before. If I’m in a generous mood, I’d say it’s nice.

Oh, it's certainly not new by any means. It's just your run-of-the-mill menswear..you have your basic pair of slacks, a few blazers, a long coat, some knitwear, some button-ups, a snazzy pair of shoes, all rendered in traditional silhouettes...but with the Dior resources, so the textiles & tailoring look super-sharp, and having a superstar-stylist on board doesn't hurt, either. The clothes are definitely on the "nicer" of the "nice" spectrum, which I can't recall being the case when Kris was running things.

Love this! Finally, a proper and covetable autumn collection. This reminds me of Bailey's menswear for Burberry, and that was a well-oiled machine at the time. That's why it's so sad to see how Tisci is running Burberry menswear to the ground.
I for one is happy that Dior Men is polished and grown-up, I mean, you can get all the more playful and 'youth' looks at Bottega and all the others.

Great job, Kim!

Loved the show and the tailoring. There is a video on the Dior channel on Youtube and the details on the last look is incredible. It's nice to see Kim use the Dior archives.

Call me old school, but I am really happy there is a move towards more grown-up and tailored glamorous looks instead of the streetwear teenager-looking norm-core thing of the last few years.

Cool song, but no need to loop it repeatedly throughout the clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
limonjuices
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->