Dior Up, Gucci ...up?

ultramarine

chaos reigns
Reaction score
From Vogue UK.com ...

SALES UP AT DIOR AND GUCCI

EXPENSIVE they may be, but the world's top fashion brands are still selling. Christian Dior announced this week that turnover for the first half of this financial year had soared 16 per cent to £183 million, while the business had reached a record of £92 million in the second quarter. "All products contributed to this growth, which arose from the exceptional success of womenswear collections created by John Galliano and those for Dior Homme by Hedi Slimane," the company said in a statement. Gucci Group, meanwhile, reported double-digit sales increases for the two months since Tom Ford and Domenico de Sole left. While Gucci itself was up 4.6 per cent to £223.5 million, Yves Saint Laurent was up 14.5 per cent to £25.1 million, Bottega Veneta was up 48.1 per cent to £14.6 million and Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney and Balenciaga were all said to have made "excellent headway". "We are moving in the right direction," Serge Weinberg, PPR's chief executive told Women's Wear Daily. "Recent sales trends and the positive response to Gucci Group's latest collections further bolster our confidence in the brand portfolio and teams at Gucci Group, as well as the organisational decision we have made." (July 21 2004, AM)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got this piece from HERE
France : PPR posts 7.4% drop in first half sales
21st July 2004

Pinault-Printemps-Redoute (PPR), the French retail and home shopping group, revealed a 7.4 percent drop in first-half sales to €11.4 billion, but pleased analysts with solid sales growth excluding disposals, acquisitions and exchange rate fluctuations.

Paris-based PPR informed that sales at the ‘New PPR’, which includes retail and luxury operations, increased by 5.9 percent to €8.1 billion in the first six months of the year. Excluding currency effects, Italian luxury goods group Gucci saw sales rise 11.1 percent to €1.3 billion. Overall sales increased by 4.3 percent.

Sales at Yves Saint Laurent were up 12 percent in the half and jumped 18.5 percent in the second quarter, improving strongly over the first quarter, when sales rose only 2.4 percent.

The unit including Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney, Bedat and other brands, was hurt by a 6.6 percent drop in sales.

I also noticed that there was a discrepancy in the reports :huh: It seems that they are dancing around the truth... :innocent:

can we really believe the numbers?
i've read the extented report at wwd but somehow i'm not convinced.
I can see Dior going well due to Hedi's collection and his new Dior Homme perfumes but i'm not that convinced on GucciGroup's numbers,
even though Tom's finale, Bottega Veneta and McQueen sales must be certainly helping out

well i take it that part of the sales are from clothes created by Mr Ford....why do they seem to be gloating?

Oh why dont u just accept the fact that Galliano for Dior and Gucci are awesome labels?!? Geeeeeez

Originally posted by Urban Stylin@Jul 25 2004, 02:51 AM
well i take it that part of the sales are from clothes created by Mr Ford....why do they seem to be gloating?
[snapback]315550[/snapback]​

Exactly, not to mention the amount of hype that his departure created for the brand...almost like free advertising...a lot of people could have bought stuff because it was Ford's last collection.

just because these are Ford's last collections,
for some they are 'collection' items due to get valueable sooner or later

the fact that both these dynasore super groups/labels seem to sell does not necessarily mean that they are in any way 'awsome'
dont forget that in the Gucci Group you have more labels than just gucci & ysl ; )

Originally posted by Lena@Jul 25 2004, 03:07 AM
just because these are Ford's last collections,
for some they are 'collection' items due to get valueable sooner or later

the fact that both these dynasore super groups/labels seem to sell does not necessarily mean that they are in any way 'awsome'
dont forget that in the Gucci Group you have more labels than just gucci & ysl ; )
[snapback]315556[/snapback]​

If the statistics are proven that these groups/labels are improving their profits.. then yes , by all means, these groups/labels are awesome.. because obviously the marketing has had contributed immensly to these statistics. I know that the Gucci Group has more labels than just gucci and ysl.. if being on this The Fashion Spot forum.. i would be pretty sure that many if not all of the users know that there is more than just gucci and ysl in the gucci group.

Honestly, I'm not surprised by the numbers from Gucci Group as far as the Gucci and YSL labels go. With all of the attention leading up to the last two Ford collections, and the sudden hype to get anything Tom had anything to do with, I'd be surprised if the numbers went anywhere but up.
I am however a bit surprised by the other GucciGroup labels falling. Botega Venetta has been getting more attention as of late, McQueen has been thriving since he was acquired by GucciGroup and producing some of the most beautiful AND wearable collections of his career. Stella released a perfume earlier in the year, and her collections always get noticed.......so I'm kinda stumped as to why Gucci and YSL are the only ones doing well.

Originally posted by versace@Jul 25 2004, 02:15 AM
If the statistics are proven that these groups/labels are improving their profits.. then yes , by all means, these groups/labels are awesome.. because obviously the marketing has had contributed immensly to these statistics. I know that the Gucci Group has more labels than just gucci and ysl.. if being on this The Fashion Spot forum.. i would be pretty sure that many if not all of the users know that there is more than just gucci and ysl in the gucci group.
[snapback]315561[/snapback]​

Hey, hey, hey! Chill, guys! Or we'll have to get a mandatory de-clawer when signing up for tFS.

Errm... about this YSL has been losses to Gucci ever since bought ..now it may not seem as big as the begining, but it seems that they'll eventually raise over the red numbers ... I'm happy Bottega Venetta is doing that well!
And I'm totally puzzled by McQueen's status ... hum .. I guess we'll have to download the reports from Guccigroup.com
Anyone has Adobe Acrobat (and a gas mask?) :wink:

Originally posted by Acid@Jul 26 2004, 05:49 AM
i wanna know how stella did :lol:
[snapback]315951[/snapback]​

It seems that from the few reports I have seen, they are not keen to release exact figures for either Stella or Alexander individually. This seems to always have been the case and I wonder why. Could both their sales be that poor that they are attempting to hide them from the public? :shock:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Jul 26 2004, 11:46 PM
It seems that from the few reports I have seen, they are not keen to release exact figures for either Stella or Alexander individually. This seems to always have been the case and I wonder why. Could both their sales be that poor that they are attempting to hide them from the public? :shock:
[snapback]316268[/snapback]​
Lee is doing well ... he's been on winning streak for a couple of seasons now .. and I think Stella finally went up on last year's report

well, it could be hard to go any lower hehehehe

Seuss to Quit Stella McCartney, Plans Return to US

July 23, 2004 - Paris
The latest executive to seek a life outside the Gucci Group is James Seuss, who is quitting his position as CEO of Stella McCartney.

The designer and the Gucci Group luxury conglomerate jointly own the London-based fashion house of McCartney.

Seuss joined McCartney in May 2001 becoming its first president after the house had linked up with Gucci. According to a Gucci statement, Seuss plans to take up a position in the luxury goods industry in the US, "in order to be closer to his home." The exact job remained unclear, however industry observers believe that it is a position in the jewelry business.

Prior to joining the McCartney company, the popular and gentlemanly Seuss had risen to managing director of Tiffany in the U.K. for four years, culminating a total of 12 years with the jewelry company.

Gucci stressed that it was in "advanced negotiations’’ with a possible replacement for Seuss, and hoped to make an announcement in the next few weeks. Seuss, who plans to leave next month, will stay on as a McCartney board member.

The house of McCartney is part of the Gucci Group "emerging brands" division, which also includes Alexander McQueen and Balenciaga. A slew of Gucci executives left that company this spring at the time of the departure of creative director Tom Ford and CEO Domenico de Sole, however the coming resignation of Seuss is the first by a senior manager from emerging brands.

"This has been an incredible experience for me building this business with Stella and the Gucci Group from the beginning. I am delighted to have been asked to remain on the board of directors of a company that has such tremendous potential," Seuss said in the Gucci Group statement.

In the same release Stella McCartney, who brought Seuss into the group, commented: "I cannot thank James enough for all that he has done for me, and for the business since the very first days when we started with Gucci Group."

According to the statement, the McCartney business should post sales of 30 million Euros this year.

"We are fully behind Stella and her team," said Robert Polet, the recently appointed CEO of Gucci Group. He termed the McCartney business one of the "great success stories" of the group.

From FWD

Um... did I miss something? Because I don't know of anyone (including myself) who doled out thousands of hard-earned cash this past season. The truth is the spring collections were less than tantalizing, prices for designer goods blazed through the roof this season, and the fashion consumer was forced the accept the unimaginable: the bubble of the early 00's is over and done with. Normal people realized this about 4 years ago. But, as you know, financial news doesn't travel fast in the world of fashion.

Honestly, I'm never quick to trust financial statistics posted by Vogue, WWD, or any Conde Nastie affiliate. WWD did a cover story in June about the record-breaking sales of the spring 2004 season, and how we are on the road to a fashion bull market yet again! They are truly dreaming! They may be able to sell that to a clueless investor in Middle America, but people who live this industry on a daily basis know that the dark clouds are nowhere near passing.

Articles like this one really get to me. Businesses and boutiques are closing left and right, student designers have absolutely no money to start up, couture is on life support, indepedent magazines are scraping the bottom of the revenue barrel and they DARE say that things are on the up and up? Please! :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SailorMoon1993
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->