Gucci's Future Plans

Originally posted by Spike413+May 28th, 2004 - 8:51 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spike413 @ May 28th, 2004 - 8:51 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@May 28th, 2004 - 8:16 am

spike...as i said...the design team changed...and it seems clear to me where the real ideas were coming from since they stopped after they left...amanda and carine...

I was under the impression that they were both stylists involved in developing Gucci's image, not so much the design of the clothes.

I don't even know why I care about Gucci anymore. Talk about crazy :wacko: [/b][/quote]
hahaha...i know...but it's a part of fashion history...it's still good to know...

just to let you know about stylists working with designers...it depends on the relationship that they have...sometimes a designer designs alone and simply hires a stylist to stye the actual fashion show and ad campaign...

'designers' like tom ford and marc jacobs among others...use sylists as creative consultants...that means they are invloved in the creative process...

i can tell you that as a creative consultant...i've been involved in the whole process...from developing themes for the collection to selecting fabrics...to customizing fabrics and working on the fit and finish ...to merchandising the collection...designing and styling promotional materials...styling lookbooks...etc....i do a lot of travelling and research and report back my findings...we work on marketing and strategy...etc...

some of these 'designers' don't actually 'design'...they shop...and knock off vintage pieces or native garments or old no name clothes...i can tell you that designers have looked through my closet more than once for inspiration...and in some cases...it's a little more than inspiration...if you know what i mean...don't underestimate the influence these women had on gucci's success...by the way...if you didn't know...amanda harleech is tthe one who "discovered' john galliano...she hired him to design a skirt in the shape of a fan for an album cover she was styling in the 80's...and then subsequently introduced him to vogue...the rest is history....she is a bloody genius!!!

Originally posted by softgrey@May 28th, 2004 - 9:02 am
don't underestimate the influence these women had on gucci's success...by the way...if you didn't know...amanda harleech is tthe one who "discovered' john galliano...she hired him to design a skirt in the shape of a fan for an album cover she was styling in the 80's...and then subsequently introduced him to vogue...the rest is history....she is a bloody genius!!!
Oh I don't underestimate them. Yeah, I know Amanda was Galliano's muse in his earlier career, right?

Softgrey

You're saying everything i think about Gucci, but more eloquently than I could have put it. And - dead right about the early collections (from the 90s). Some things - particularly in the fashion business - are just of their time. That was Gucci's time - the velvet suit and satin shirts. They have done nothing since of any worth, IMO. It's cynical, over-expensive, Euro-garb with no design merit at all. Presumably even Gucci have realised this now!

Originally posted by Spike413+May 28th, 2004 - 9:08 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spike413 @ May 28th, 2004 - 9:08 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@May 28th, 2004 - 9:02 am
don't underestimate the influence these women had on gucci's success...by the way...if you didn't know...amanda harleech is tthe one who "discovered' john galliano...she hired him to design a skirt in the shape of a fan for an album cover she was styling in the 80's...and then subsequently introduced him to vogue...the rest is history....she is a bloody genius!!!
Oh I don't underestimate them. Yeah, I know Amanda was Galliano's muse in his earlier career, right? [/b][/quote]
muse?...mmm...i guess...but she was practically his sponsor...a muse to me is someone who inspires you...not someone you collaborate with...their relationship was a very strong collaboration...and a very successful one...i dream of doing that kind of thing...of havbing that kind of relationship with a designer...i had it once...it's so amazing...

thx for the compliment johnny... :blush:

Originally posted by softgrey+May 28th, 2004 - 9:19 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ May 28th, 2004 - 9:19 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Spike413@May 28th, 2004 - 9:08 am
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
@May 28th, 2004 - 9:02 am

Oh I don't underestimate them. Yeah, I know Amanda was Galliano's muse in his earlier career, right?
muse?...mmm...i guess...but she was practically his sponsor...a muse to me is someone who inspires you...not someone you collaborate with...their relationship was a very strong collaboration...and a very successful one...i dream of doing that kind of thing...of havbing that kind of relationship with a designer...i had it once...it's so amazing...

thx for the compliment johnny... :blush: [/b][/quote]
I can't remember where I heard her refered to as his muse........

Originally posted by Spike413+May 28th, 2004 - 9:46 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spike413 @ May 28th, 2004 - 9:46 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by softgrey@May 28th, 2004 - 9:19 am
Originally posted by Spike413@May 28th, 2004 - 9:08 am
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
@May 28th, 2004 - 9:02 am

thx for the compliment johnny... :blush:
I can't remember where I heard her refered to as his muse........ [/b][/quote]
it's a common term used in fashion...but it doesn't really mean much...imo...i've been called a muse before...it's a great compliment of course...but it's really just saying i like your style...i'd rather be someone's collaborator... :wink:

very well put your post on stylists working with designers :heart: softgrey :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@May 28th, 2004 - 11:58 am
very well put your post on stylists working with designers :heart: softgrey :flower:
thanks lena...i only wish there were more opportunities for this in the US market... :blush:
it's very satisfying when the relationship btw designer and stylist is a strong one...it can be so creative...and fulfilling...

Gucci needs new ideas, talents to combat brand fatigue

By Astrid Wendlandt

PARIS Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:48am EST

(Reuters) - Gucci holds the luxury spending downturn mainly responsible for its poor performance but the Italian fashion brand may also have itself to blame, suggesting it could be time to change strategy and hire fresh talent.

Every major luxury goods maker has been hit by the worst spending slump in five years as concerns about economic growth and conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine hampered demand from the Chinese, Russians and Europeans.

Big brands have also been suffering from consumers' growing appetite for smaller, less widely distributed labels, particularly in key markets such as China, which was the luxury goods industry's main growth engine until 2012.

"I think for some brands there is a saturation and a brand fatigue issue in certain markets like Asia," said Scilla Huang Sun who runs the Julius Baer Luxury Brands Fund.

Gucci, Burberry and Louis Vuitton, part of industry leader LVMH (LVMH.PA), have all worked hard in the past three to five years to rebuild the aura of exclusivity they lost by going too mass market and milking the label too hard in the mid to late 2000s. The volume-based strategy made shareholders rich but also diluted the brand.

Based on sales performance, some big fashion labels, such as Louis Vuitton or Hermes, appear to have done a better job than Gucci at rebuilding or supporting that exclusive image.

Gucci's sales have been steadily declining over the past year while Louis Vuitton's revenues are still growing, albeit in low single digits, and Hermes -- which always kept volumes under control -- together with Burberry, are still enjoying sales growth of more than 10 percent.

Prada could be the next victim of brand fatigue, having warned that it expected no sales growth this year. Prada was one of the brands that opened the most shops last year, leading analysts to wonder if it was not starting to be over-exposed.

Analysts and investors say Gucci got rid of too many accessible items and on average, raised prices too much. They also mention lack of innovation, which affects brand desirability and ultimately investor sentiment and growth prospects.

A spokeswoman for Gucci's parent Kering (PRTP.PA), which also owns Saint Laurent and Bottega Veneta, maintained it was "satisfied with Gucci's upscale strategy that is underway,” making reference to its third-quarter sales presentation.

PAST ICONS

Gucci says it is pleased with how new products have been received. These include a $4,500 python backpack with bamboo handles, a central fixture of Gucci bags for decades.

"You cannot just keep reviving past icons, you also need to have breakthrough innovation," Exane BNP Paribas luxury goods analyst Luca Solca said citing designer Hedi Slimane at Saint Laurent as a successful example.

At Hermes, the most expensive European luxury stock -- trading at 27 times forward earnings while Kering is on 15 times and Louis Vuitton parent LVMH (LVMH.PA) on 18 times -- there is a ban on re-launching old classics. New designs and the rarity of its Kelly and Birkin bags have helped the brand retain its cachet.

At Chanel, designer Karl Lagerfeld helps the brand preserve its edge by putting out six collections a year, which produce at least one best-selling item. Last season, it was a pair of $1,100 iridescent tweed sneakers that sold out.

Nicolas Ghesquiere, the star designer hired by LVMH last year, recently created a new "V" logo for Louis Vuitton and an exclusive line of handbags costing more than 20,000 euros.

Louis Vuitton also gained momentum last month with the opening of its art museum outside Paris designed by Frank Gehry and a limited bag collection created by celebrities such as shoe maker Christian Louboutin to mark its 160th anniversary.

Louis Vuitton has benefited from new ideas and leadership, while Gucci has been run by chief executive Patrizio di Marco since 2009 and for most of the past decade by designer Frida Giannini, who is also now his partner and mother of his child.

Some fashion critics say Gucci has been struggling to regain the sparkle and fashion authority it had when chief executive Domenico de Sole and designer Tom Ford ran it until 2004.

"They lost something special when Tom left," said Tamara Mellon, the woman who built Jimmy Choo into a global luxury shoe brand and is now developing her own fashion brand.

Gucci customers may also have been driven away by sharp price rises - more than 40 percent in the past four to five years - sending them to more accessible luxury brands such as Michael Kors in the United States and Longchamp in France.

Louis Vuitton also raised prices but more progressively and conducted a less radical shake-up of its product offering. Gucci has provided extensive details on the results of its upmarket strategy while Louis Vuitton has not.

Rivals such as Mulberry and Lancel, part of Cartier owner Richemont, also saw sales plummet after raising prices too much.

Gucci has also had to clean up its wholesale distribution network, affecting revenue, after department stores offered too many discounts, devaluing the brand. Louis Vuitton never does sales and has no wholesale account.

(Additional reporting by Pascale Denis in Paris; Editing by Anna Willard)

Source: Reuters.com

We need someone with a louder more distinctive voice, Frida is atm very muted/boring in her designs, we need more spirit.

It's funny how they talk about the prices and everything but not about the designs. Gucci's price range has never been like Chanel or Hermes. Gucci was more accessible.
Gucci's problem is clearly Frida. The fact that people are still mentionning Tom Ford ten years after he left and launched his own house is the proof of her lack of vision. When Tom left, they got rid of the black on black monogram canvas and went full logos!
Their Beauty line has the worst packaging ever...
To make Gucci successful again, they have to get rid of Frida and her husband...sorry.
Then, hire a designer with a point of view and who is not going to do collections inspired by the Tom Ford years.

A designer is the image of the house,just get rid of Frida,she is so not inspirational,plus,she really needs to practice her English in front of the camera!

Gucci Needs New Ideas, Talents to Combat Brand Fatigue

Gucci holds the luxury spending downturn mainly responsible for its poor performance but the Italian fashion brand may also have itself to blame, suggesting it could be time to change strategy and hire fresh talent.

MILAN, Italy — Gucci holds the luxury spending downturn mainly responsible for its poor performance but the Italian fashion brand may also have itself to blame, suggesting it could be time to change strategy and hire fresh talent.

Every major luxury goods maker has been hit by the worst spending slump in five years as concerns about economic growth and conflicts in the Middle East and Ukraine hampered demand from the Chinese, Russians and Europeans.

Big brands have also been suffering from consumers’ growing appetite for smaller, less widely distributed labels, particularly in key markets such as China, which was the luxury goods industry’s main growth engine until 2012.

“I think for some brands there is a saturation and a brand fatigue issue in certain markets like Asia,” said Scilla Huang Sun who runs the Julius Baer Luxury Brands Fund.

Gucci, Burberry and Louis Vuitton, part of industry leader LVMH, have all worked hard in the past three to five years to rebuild the aura of exclusivity they lost by going too mass market and milking the label too hard in the mid to late 2000s. The volume-based strategy made shareholders rich but also diluted the brand.

Based on sales performance, some big fashion labels, such as Louis Vuitton or Hermès, appear to have done a better job than Gucci at rebuilding or supporting that exclusive image.

Gucci’s sales have been steadily declining over the past year while Louis Vuitton’s revenues are still growing, albeit in low single digits, and Hermès — which always kept volumes under control — together with Burberry, are still enjoying sales growth of more than 10 percent.

Prada could be the next victim of brand fatigue, having warned that it expected no sales growth this year. Prada was one of the brands that opened the most shops last year, leading analysts to wonder if it was not starting to be over-exposed.

Analysts and investors say Gucci got rid of too many accessible items and on average, raised prices too much. They also mention lack of innovation, which affects brand desirability and ultimately investor sentiment and growth prospects.

A spokeswoman for Gucci’s parent Kering, which also owns Saint Laurent and Bottega Veneta, maintained it was “satisfied with Gucci’s upscale strategy that is underway,” making reference to its third-quarter sales presentation.

PAST ICONS

Gucci says it is pleased with how new products have been received. These include a $4,500 python backpack with bamboo handles, a central fixture of Gucci bags for decades.

“You cannot just keep reviving past icons, you also need to have breakthrough innovation,” Exane BNP Paribas luxury goods analyst Luca Solca said citing designer Hedi Slimane at Saint Laurent as a successful example.

At Hermès, the most expensive European luxury stock — trading at 27 times forward earnings while Kering is on 15 times and Louis Vuitton parent LVMH on 18 times — there is a ban on re-launching old classics. New designs and the rarity of its Kelly and Birkin bags have helped the brand retain its cachet.

At Chanel, designer Karl Lagerfeld helps the brand preserve its edge by putting out six collections a year, which produce at least one best-selling item. Last season, it was a pair of $1,100 iridescent tweed sneakers that sold out.

Nicolas Ghesquiere, the star designer hired by LVMH last year, recently created a new “V” logo for Louis Vuitton and an exclusive line of handbags costing more than 20,000 euros.

Louis Vuitton also gained momentum last month with the opening of its art museum outside Paris designed by Frank Gehry and a limited bag collection created by celebrities such as shoe maker Christian Louboutin to mark its 160th anniversary.

Louis Vuitton has benefited from new ideas and leadership, while Gucci has been run by chief executive Patrizio di Marco since 2009 and for most of the past decade by designer Frida Giannini, who is also now his partner and mother of his child.

Some fashion critics say Gucci has been struggling to regain the sparkle and fashion authority it had when chief executive Domenico de Sole and designer Tom Ford ran it until 2004.

“They lost something special when Tom left,” said Tamara Mellon, the woman who built Jimmy Choo into a global luxury shoe brand and is now developing her own fashion brand.

Gucci customers may also have been driven away by sharp price rises — more than 40 percent in the past four to five years — sending them to more accessible luxury brands such as Michael Kors in the United States and Longchamp in France.

Louis Vuitton also raised prices but more progressively and conducted a less radical shake-up of its product offering. Gucci has provided extensive details on the results of its upmarket strategy while Louis Vuitton has not.

Rivals such as Mulberry and Lancel, part of Cartier owner Richemont, also saw sales plummet after raising prices too much.

Gucci has also had to clean up its wholesale distribution network, affecting revenue, after department stores offered too many discounts, devaluing the brand. Louis Vuitton never does sales and has no wholesale account.

Additional reporting by Pascale Denis; editor: Anna Willard.

bussinessoffashion

It's funny how they talk about the prices and everything but not about the designs. Gucci's price range has never been like Chanel or Hermes. Gucci was more accessible.
Gucci's problem is clearly Frida. The fact that people are still mentionning Tom Ford ten years after he left and launched his own house is the proof of her lack of vision. When Tom left, they got rid of the black on black monogram canvas and went full logos!
Their Beauty line has the worst packaging ever...
To make Gucci successful again, they have to get rid of Frida and her husband...sorry.
Then, hire a designer with a point of view and who is not going to do collections inspired by the Tom Ford years.

Probably as this piece was commissioned by Reuters, they emphasized the monetary aspect of Gucci's predicament more and failed to assess the design perspective.

While I was initially a fan of Frida's austerity when she took over, I just feel it's not progressing into anything fresh. Yes, she made Gucci more classier and moneyed than Ford. We needed that break and it actually worked from a sales perspective, but I just feel she doesn't innovate the brand nearly enough (just like the subject says).

To completely knock Frida for all of her reign at Gucci is wrong. These are the same people who were knocking Alessandra Facchinetti's two collections, who was trying to keep the Tom Ford for Gucci spirit alive, as she was one of his right hand (wo)man. These are also the same people who were singing Frida's praise when she first cane out with the bamboo bags, brought back the prints, and of her rock&roll dresses. Has her latest collections been lackluster? Absolutely. But to completely knock her at the brand is wrong. She did a lot with revitalizing accessories in the brand, and restored the brand in it's tradition.

And the editor or commentator in one of the articles whose praising Slimane at Saint Laurent must not be familiar with Saint Laurent back in the day.:rolleyes:

I agree, it's not fair to place all the blame on Frida. She has done a great job of cleaning up the "drug, sex and rock & roll" image that Tom Ford established--which was fun, but isn't really sustainable. I think she's done some really desirable collections, but my issue with Gucci is that everything seems so formulaic and business-like. The shows are always the same format with robotic models. And even though they show the clothes on really young models, the clothes always look like too grown-up and stuffy. You never really get the sense that the clothes are "cool".

I think maybe a change of stylist and presentation would be better than a change in creative director.

A designer is the image of the house,just get rid of Frida,she is so not inspirational,plus,she really needs to practice her English in front of the camera!

Because english is the primary language that she must know? :blink: It's not relevant to her job whatsoever. She's there to design and be creative director. Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->