Dior's Latest Makeover Focuses on Grown-Ups

^^It's obvious that fashion is a business, but I think the worst business plan would be to eradicate all artistic/ creative aspects of a brand simply to create a greater revenue, which is what Dior seems to want to happen. I mean, really, Dior SS 08 was like a Ralph Lauren show...except Ralph's show was so much better this season than Dior's! That's not a good sign.

I still don't get the rationale for this change of direction. If you don't like so many T-shirts being sold in your store...DON'T SELL T-SHIRTS IN YOUR STORE! That shouldn't mean you have to make Galliano design such boring collections (which is a travesty unto itself...the man was born NOT to be boring!:angry:).

This plan will backfire. I just know it. If continued in this direction, Dior will soon loose it's identity and will become just another brand that produces pretty clothes.:innocent:

I'm so sad.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they are erradicating all creativity, but all brands have to reviewed from time to time to keep it fresh.

To be honest, I think thats why I love working in this business; I never get bored of it! A business thats always changing and renewing itself, I think its quite healthy. I find it exciting how I have a new season to work on, slog my guts out for 5months working on it, and then start another fresh. :flower::heart:

Do you think musicians should restrain their creativity in order to sell more CD's?

....i don't know what else to say to you people. And i also don't care enough to write an essay here. It's just sad that you think this way....

Dior has to get rid of galliano. Galliano's classy is like one of those drag queens that try to do dietrich or something, you'll still know its a drag queen...

Dior has to change its whole image if they want to be classy and classic again. Dior is no Chanel, and that's whats killing them, because in Chanel, its understandable to spend over 10k for a tweed jacket, and in Dior you wouldn't spend 3k on a skirt cause it is Dior. Dior hates Chanel, it's been going on forever, they need a new designer.

I don't see why everyone is getting their (Dior) knickers in a twist here!? Who has said anything about gagging and censoring Galliano?? All they said is that they want to sell less trashy tshirts and more phyton skin handbags, to use those as examples. A similar thing happened at Gucci when Tom Ford left; the new CEO gave an interview saying that they saw the brand moving towards a more "classy" era with a fashion house that was less about the celebrity and more about the quality.

All fashion houses have to keep fresh, this is the way that Dior's powers want to take the brand. No one has said anything about censoring Galliano. All designers beleive in change where its due.

Alejandro is right, it maybe that Dior and Galliano are going in different directions. It happens.

And there is no reason to be condescending; this is a forum for people to express their views.

Except Gucci hasn't become classy, Gucci is now trendy and easy. It is very obvious that both companies wanted to diminish the power of the big-name designer that brought new attention to these companies in the first place. LVMH clearly wants it to be all about the brand, not about John Galliano.

I don't see why everyone is getting their (Dior) knickers in a twist here!? Who has said anything about gagging and censoring Galliano??

... agreed. I don't think creativity is necessarily mutually exclusive to making money; in fact, working under constraints tends to force one to exercise even more creativity.

And as cruel as this sounds, perhaps given Dior (as a business) and its new direction, perhaps Galliano is no longer the right person for the fashion house. But as long as Galliano stays with Dior, I'll respect him for what he continues to create for the maison that, after all, made him well-known as he is today.

Dior has became the Parisian version of D&G ...It is so cliché now

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AprilL
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->