Does Haute Couture Make You Feel Like This As Well

versace

Reaction score
With the latest couture shows.. especially focusing on Diors amazing show.. does nebody else (hopeful fashion designers) feel a mixture of excitement and also melancholy (i dont know if this is the right word to use)?????

Excitement -> in that it's such a fantastic show and the amazing ability that Galliano can produce!!

Melancholy -> in that becoming a future designer, how is it possible to compete against Dior and other fashion houses?? Hasn't everything in fashion already been done before?? How will future designers stand out against thousands of other designers and become competing against the elite competitors in the field??

Then I think to myself.. well no.. everything hasnt been done before.. everybody' is different at creating and thinking.. And i say this quote to myself all the time:

"You can do anything you put your mind to"..

So yeh.. basically I just want to know what you other fashionistas (or if u dont like being called that... 'fashion peeps) think?!?

Do away with the self-doubt... it will only make things more difficult.

Yeh but u must admit that u have to approach these questions.. because if you wish to become a great designer, up the top of ladder with labels such as gucci, ysl, dior, louis vuitton and versace (to name only a few of the great) you need to think of a way to approach how ur label will stand out huh???

I guess that's why you have to really know your references so you can be INFLUENCED by other designers without directly COPYING... I think it's inevitable that peoples' designs will overlap and that future clothing builds upon things that have already been constructed.

Versace,

Long time no see . Hope all is well.

Basically when you work for any company you do not neccessarily do exactly what is in yur creative
capabilities, and if you do it still can be hard meeting the companies expectations. When you work for yourself, you run the risk of still being forced to make money, which does not really mean being a great designer creatively. Therefore do not worry about being as great as someone else, worry about being as great as you can be period.

I know how you feel! It could be argued that everything HAS been done before, hence the ubiquitous homages to the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, every single freaking decade that ever was. Sometimes it does seem like people are running out of ideas.

I think designing nowadays is about taking what you see and putting your own spin on it, thus making it original, modern and truly YOUR creation.

Look at Christian Dior Spring 04 couture. Galliano took the Egyptian theme and ran with it, producing these gorgeous mind-boggling works of art. The central idea of Egyptian style wasn't his, but he added to it and made it his.

I hope that made sense! If you truly want to be a designer at the level of Galliano etc, you have no easy task in front of you. However I believe, cheesily enough, that with hard work and determination and a worthy goal, you can achieve it! :P

I suggest you read up on new designers like Derek Lam and how he got to where he is now. I read a really great article about him and his career a while back, it might have been in the New York Times. If I can find it I will post the link on here!

Good luck!!!

Thanks y'all!!

I know what all of u mean.. MayaPapaya9 with ur Egyptian Dior example,i also agree.., i also see that galliano choices heaps of references for inspiration such as his latest couture... using 1950 pin up girls/queen reference and more (but i cant think of them at the moment)

I just dont want to become some unknown designer, becoz i look up to galliano and a lot of other designers and say well if they can be at the top of the ladder (popularity wise), so can neone else that has a passion for fashion and is very determined!!

Well, to become great you should allways be sure in yourself. :flower:

Originally posted by Asdiklon@Jul 8th, 2004 - 3:40 am
took me a while to understand that. :wink:

Originally posted by clay+Jul 8th, 2004 - 10:49 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clay @ Jul 8th, 2004 - 10:49 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Asdiklon@Jul 8th, 2004 - 3:40 am
took me a while to understand that. :wink: [/b][/quote]
Ill try to chop sentences in pieses next time... :wink: :lol:

Originally posted by Asdiklon@Jul 8th, 2004 - 4:40 am
to a certain degree yeh.. being fully confident tho, can express high self esteem and therefore create a designer who thinks they're king-sh*t (big ego) and can do nething they want.. i dont like that sort of attitude tho.

Ok, but the thoughts about yourself being the best really put you up emotionally and give you strenth to develop and succed. :flower:

Dont forget about the self-crutique though.

So are you saying to be confident .. but not overly confident so that ur ego gets in the way ?? also what do u mean by self crutique? like make judgements about ur own work?

yes, I mean, love your work, but look at it at least twice. Check for mistakes and see how would you do it better next time.

Well... Generally there are different kind of designer... It all depends which one you belong to...

The following are solely my point of view of the different kinds of designers... Feel free to counter my views... :wink:

Pattern Masters: These are designers who are fascinated with the manipulation of fabrics forming different shapes and silhouettes (e.g. Hussien Chalayan, Vivienne Westwood, Rei Kawakubo, Yohji Yamamoto, Martin Margiela, Alexander McQueen etc)

Style Philes: These designer are more obsess with the whole look, the image... They sell lifestyle, they sell image, of cos i'm not saying these designers do not care about construction or innovation in pattern making... They just package it differently (e.g. John Galliano, Versace, DSquared, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs etc)

Beautifiers: These deisgners pay attention to what makes a woman beautiful. They repeat certain looks and probably just change fabrics or details. But their whole point is to make the woman look fabulous (e.g. Isaac Mizrahi, Valentino, Chanel, Prada, Michael Kors etc)

Visioners: Not to be confused with Visionaires, these designers embodies their designs, they live, breathe a design concept. They literally design themselves and for themselves (e.g. Donna Karen, Hedi Slimane, Victor and Rolf, Betsy Johnson etc)

Others: These designers may be a flash in a pan, they may out to make a statement, they may do something totally out of context be it to be anti-fashion purposely... They may be out there to shock and get attention... and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (e.g. Jeremy Scott, Arkadius, Imitation of Christ, Miguel Androver etc.)

I'm not sure if you get what i'm trying to say here...

But all i'm trying to convey is that there are many type of designers and they all use different ways to express themselve... So there's no way people will run out of ideas...

Designs are evolutionary, not revolutionary...

Just know what type of designer you are and go with the flow... A Visioner will find it hard to top a Style Phile...

I hope i make sense... :blush:

:o How do u know this.. did u make it up.. coz it sure does make a lot of sense to me now.. but dont cant some designers not be categorised into only 1 category... but instead be catergorised into say 2-3 or even all categories that you've listed???

Hmmmmm.. i like the style philes though!! the pattern masters sound very difficult.. but wouldnt JG be included in pattern masters as well as style philes? Neway.. u explained it so well

But i dont get why u say no way people will run out of ideas..like say.. u know how JG is mainly inspired by cultures and eras right?? well could some future designer take the same inspiration but portray it in a different way?? coz wouldnt that be exactly the same influence.. but a different vision..???? hmmmm

versace, i know how you feel

im always thinking......damm......what if i dont make it
but then i look at graduate collections and think......well im making better clothes than they are.....and im only in my first year.

trust me......your designs will come a LONG way from when you started. i look back at my first collection and im completely horrified :shock: perhaps i will look at what i am doing now and think thats horrifying too
also the more u design.....the more you will develop your own style

Now i hav to tell u about my position that im in..
Im currently in high school still .. yr 12.. so last yr for me!! actually like 14weeks to go.. i can draw but not much as i dont hav much time to practice with yr 12 n all.. i havent made ANY couture before ( i call clothes couture nowadays coz the word 'clothes' is cheap sounding :P ) and yeh.. im very passionate tho... but this doesnt really get back to my point..

V,

Acid is right. You are at the biggining of a long, long journey. I am still growing as a designer, patternmaker,
businessman, tech person, and i am 36 have been in the field since 92. So relax and enjoy the ride. It is one hell of a ride man! Half the time i hate it, half the time i love it. But I am sticking to it. i have no dreams of being a JG, or JPG or those others guys. I am trying to be me and people seem to respond to me showing them how i feel they should dress. That is my road..

Originally posted by Acid@Jul 8th, 2004 - 12:21 pm
versace, i know how you feel

im always thinking......damm......what if i dont make it
but then i look at graduate collections and think......well im making better clothes than they are.....and im only in my first year.

trust me......your designs will come a LONG way from when you started. i look back at my first collection and im completely horrified :shock: perhaps i will look at what i am doing now and think thats horrifying too
also the more u design.....the more you will develop your own style
Yes, yes yes you are right......you should never doubt yourself, just do what you like to do, but don't be a copycat and certainly don't be scared by other designers....never be that...if you are then it is almost certain you will never be succesfull because you just don't trust yourself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->