Does Haute Couture Make You Feel Like This As Well

most designers don't start out on the galliano level...most designers spend most of their careers working for other people.

Originally posted by Asdiklon+Jul 8th, 2004 - 3:54 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Asdiklon @ Jul 8th, 2004 - 3:54 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by clay@Jul 8th, 2004 - 10:49 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Asdiklon
@Jul 8th, 2004 - 3:40 am
Well, to become great you should allways be sure in yourself. :flower:

took me a while to understand that. :wink:
Ill try to chop sentences in pieses next time... :wink: :lol: [/b][/quote]
The concept :wink: :innocent:

But maybe i dont understand all the emoticons...

Originally posted by mikeijames@Jul 8th, 2004 - 7:03 am
most designers don't start out on the galliano level...most designers spend most of their careers working for other people.
Even galliano started out rough . His own collection struggled along for many years.

Originally posted by Mutterlein+Jul 8th, 2004 - 7:04 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mutterlein @ Jul 8th, 2004 - 7:04 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mikeijames@Jul 8th, 2004 - 7:03 am
Even galliano started out rough . His own collection struggled along for many years. [/b][/quote]
Yes, he even had to cope with bankrupcy a couple of times....

Ebowleg, why is that so that Galliano was 'virtually' unknown until a few years ago.. if you know?

Originally posted by versace@Jul 9th, 2004 - 3:14 am
Ebowleg, why is that so that Galliano was 'virtually' unknown until a few years ago.. if you know?
That's about Narciso...not about John....

Designers 'usually' begin work as apprentices for other houses and work their ways up the fashion ranks. Very rarely, would someone come in and begin like Galliano, as creative director of Dior and with your own successful label.

catwalkxxqueen said:
Designers 'usually' begin work as apprentices for other houses and work their ways up the fashion ranks. Very rarely, would someone come in and begin like Galliano, as creative director of Dior and with your own successful label.

As Mr.dale and I mentioned John Galliano didn't start out at Dior. He struggled with his own label for many years until he was picked up by LVMH in the mid 90's. He had a lot of attention from his graduation show but at the time he was hired to work at Givenchy even then he was having major financial issues.

People like Stella Mcartney are more or less examples of instant success (and undeserved).

versace said:
With the latest couture shows.. especially focusing on Diors amazing show.. does nebody else (hopeful fashion designers) feel a mixture of excitement and also melancholy (i dont know if this is the right word to use)?????

Excitement -> in that it's such a fantastic show and the amazing ability that Galliano can produce!!

Melancholy -> in that becoming a future designer, how is it possible to compete against Dior and other fashion houses?? Hasn't everything in fashion already been done before?? How will future designers stand out against thousands of other designers and become competing against the elite competitors in the field??

Then I think to myself.. well no.. everything hasnt been done before.. everybody' is different at creating and thinking.. And i say this quote to myself all the time:

"You can do anything you put your mind to"..

So yeh.. basically I just want to know what you other fashionistas (or if u dont like being called that... 'fashion peeps) think?!?

Versace- nobody can compete with a Galliano Haute Couture for Dior show- including John Galliano!!!

The romanticised idea that John- or any other designer for that matter- actually designs and produces every single piece does not exist at that level, not anymore. Sure, it is obvious that a team of people create (sew, embrodier, drape, etc) the dress- but, equally, a team or group design the dress as well!

There isn't a single designer who does not have a talented team of designers working for them- to help put a collection together. Julien MacDonald was the knitwear designer at Chanel. Dean and Dan designed Versace menswear. Antonio Berardi worked for Galliano (pre-Dior) and Alexander McQueen worked at Romeo Gigli. Tina Kalivas (Australian) worked as an assistant to Alexander McQueen for years before going home to start her own house. And Tom Ford's assistants at Gucci- Alessandra Fachinetti, Frida Gianninni, John Ray- has Gucci collapsed without Tom to lead and guide them? Does the brand "suck" now? Every one of them was 100% anonymous and unheard of- because they worked for someone else- not their own house.

If money was no object (within reason), and you could "pick and choose" a team of designers who are to stay anonymous while following your instructions but add, edit, create, interpret and re-interpret (essentially design) the entire outfit- you would probably be a smashing success, too!

Don't get me started on how many "designers" would be lucky to get a job at H&M (selling, not designing) if it wasn't for their assistants!!

And that does not even begin to mention their stylists!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->