Dolce and Gabanna sentenced to nearly 2 years jail for tax evasion

It's official
Italy court gives Dolce and Gabbana 18 months in jail in tax case

(Reuters) - Fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana were sentenced to one year and six months each in jail on Wednesday, over charges of hiding hundreds of millions of euros from Italian tax authorities.
Italy's appeals court upheld a conviction given last June to the pair, who are as famous as the stars they dress, for allegedly using Luxembourg holding company Gado to avoid paying taxes on royalties of about 1 billion euros ($1.38 billion).
The previous decision, by a lower court, handed the duo suspended jail sentences of 20 months each and imposed a fine of up to 10 million euros.
Dolce and Gabbana have always denied any wrongdoing. ($1 = 0.7237 Euros)
(Reporting by Isla Binnie)
reuters.com

I wonder if they're closing like Domenico claimed they would if the court upheld the sentence.

Send their ***es to jail!

Will they still present collections during their time in jail?

so they´re going to jail... a very VIP prison cell I´m sure, they´ll probably be out in 3 months :rolleyes:

Looks like they won't see inside of a cell.

None of the defendants will have to serve jail time, though, because their sentences are below the two-year minimum in Italy to do so.
From WWD article about today's verdict.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHAAATT?? What was the whole point then? This is ridiculous.

So no jail time AND another season of re-hashed clothes down their runway? There is no justice.

Dolce & Gabbana demand Anna Wintour kill exposé
Italian designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana were so upset about an upcoming Vanity Fair feature on their tax woes, they threatened to pull tens of millions in advertising from Condé Nast and demanded Vogue editor Anna Wintour get the story killed.
The designers were found guilty of tax fraud on $1 billion in earnings last year in Italy and fined $470 million, plus sentenced to 18 months in jail.
Vanity Fair, sources tell Page Six, is currently planning a story on the duo’s legal woes and court battle. (They’re currently appealing.)
But when Dolce and Gabbana got wind of VF’s in-the-works piece, they called Vogue Editor-in Chief and Condé Nast artistic director Wintour to get it killed.
The designers even threatened to pull all their advertising from Condé titles, which insiders estimate to be worth $10 million to $20 million in business between D&G’s fashion and beauty campaigns.
Wintour, our source said, declined their request. But the fashion queen did fly to Capri last month, with Vogue writer Hamish Bowles and others, for D&G’s extravagant Alta Moda show on the shores of Capri for exclusive coverage.
Guests were ferried to the show and a dinner afterward on a “flotilla of little sailboats that had their prows garlanded with swags of lemon and bay leaf,” Bowles wrote of the scene, adding the clothes were “extraordinarily lavish” with “insouciant throwaway chicness.” And “it really was stirringly beautiful.”
Sources told us Wintour also got face time with the designers, “as a way of appeasing them without mortgaging the journalistic integrity of Condé Nast over killing the piece.” A source added, “She went to save the advertising.”
We’re told D&G continues to advertise in Condé’s glossies, including GQ, Allure, Details, Vogue and Condé Nast Traveler — but the brand, coincidentally, doesn’t advertise in Vanity Fair.
A rep for Vanity Fair told us: “We don’t comment on whether we are or are not working on a story.” Vogue declined to comment. A rep for Dolce & Gabbana didn’t get back to us.
pagesix

"Sorry Dorothy, there are two things a Sicilian won't do: lie about pizza, and file a tax return." Sophia, Golden Girls, 1987.

Dolce & Gabbana demand Anna Wintour kill exposé

pagesix
Graydon will probably still run the piece, but tone it down tremendously. Remember 'The Paltrow-affair'?

let's be real anyway, no one reads VF or Vogue or any of these types of magazines for the journalistic integrity anyway. You probably already know that when reading the fashion show reviews.

True, I don't think anybody really purchase these editions for journalistic integrity per se, but if the profile touches on the tax evasion issue and its surrounding causes, it will arouse intrigue and naturally shed an unflattering light on D&G. Tax evasion is already a very heated topic, and many top celebs in the US had been embroiled in high profile cases sometimes resulting in prison sentences (see Martha Stewart). For D&G to just get slapped on the wrist with a fine will seem unjust to anyone with logic.

It will cast light on the subject, but I suspect it'll most likely be nothing more than a soft journalistic piece, replete with pictures from their latest couture project. I am assuming that kind of free advertising (along with some heavy handed editing) was the only way Anna was able to appease the duo. Like any of her magazine's fashion reviews, if they don't mention it, it didn't happen.

Dolce, Gabbana Found Innocent
Not Guilty.

Italy's highest court on Friday found Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce not guilty of tax evasion, overturning two previous sentences at lower courts. After three hours behind closed doors, the five-member jury headed by president Alfredo Teresi also cleared the other defendants, including general director Cristiana Ruella, finance director Giuseppe Minoni and accountant Luciano Patelli, as there was no ground for a case.
wwd

This is just :shock:.

Well I'm certainly not surprised. They kept on hammering on and on about the unjust premise of the entire case, the Luxembourg deal, and how the Pisapia invited them to boost the image of the city.
I imagine Miucca and her husband will also walk off scot-free after their audit!

I wonder how much money was exchanged for this. How disgusting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anka xx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->